100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Big_duck

Question What side of the path?

While playing Sunday, one of my shots came to rest on the cart path. On the left (hole) side of the path was a narrow strip of grass (maybe 12 inches), then bunker. On the other side of the path, was a larger area of rough.

My question is, when determining closest point of relief, must I go to the hole side (thus make my shot while standing in the bunker), or may I take relief on the other side?

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Do you play right-handed or left-handed?

If you are a right-handed player, the nearest point of relief would probably be a few inches to the left of the cartpath and you would have to stand in the bunker to play the shot.

If you are a left-handed player, the 12 inch strip of grass would not be wide enough to take a stance off the left side of the cartpath and drop the ball other than in the bunker. Therefore, another point must be found which may or may not be on the left side of the cartpath.

A detailed explanation of the procedure can be found here: Forum Thread 291

Big_duck
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hill
    Do you play right-handed or left-handed?

A detailed explanation of the procedure can be found here: Forum Thread 291
    I knew I would forget something in my explanation; I am right handed.

As I understand from the other thread, NPR is determined by the position of your ball relative to the condition, not the condition itself. So with the ball resting 3/4s of the way to the right hand side of the cart path, if I had followed the whole procedure as described in the other thread, my NPR would probably have been on the right side of the cart path anyway.

Probably.

NPR is determined by the positition of your ball relative to the relief point.

You can regard determining the "nearest point of relief" as:
    Finding the shortest distance from the point where my ball now lies to the point where I would have relief.

The side of the cartpath that your ball is closest to is not, of itself, a factor.

Big_duck
    Understood, but my next shot would be a chip with a wedge, so my NPR would be pretty close to the right edge of the path; however, if it was a three wood or long iron then NPR would probably have been on the left side.

At least now I know the whole procedure.

my NPR would be pretty close to the right edge of the path
    NO.

To determine your nearest point of relief on the right side of the cartpath, you would face away from the carpath, and place your heels just off the cartpath, and take a stance. The middle of your clubface on the ground would be your nearest point of relief from the right side of the cartpath. This point would have to be approximately 3 feet from the cartpath using a sand wedge or maybe 4 feet using a wood. (Point #1)

To determine your nearest point of relief on the left side of the cartpath, you would face the cartpath and take a stance off the left side of the cartpath where your club is just off the cartpath. This point would be 4 inches from the cartpath with any club. (Point #2)

Measure from your ball to Point #1.
    Measure from your ball to Point #2.

The smaller measurement is the nearest point of relief.

Big_duck
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hill
    NO.
    When I said pretty close, I didn't mean a couple of inches I meant a couple of feet.

aah.. oki.

I just wanted to be sure you understood correctly.

The relief points will always be a few inches from one side and a few feet from the other side.

Whether that is the right or left side of the cartpath will depend of which side of the ball you play from.

Thread Information