CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question

7 Wood Cherks is on a distinguished road Cherks's Avatar

Question

I am sending my Tei3 in to the shop to be modified, I want to remove the head from the shaft because they do not return the old shaft and grip and the putter I am sending is brand new, grip still in plastic, original shaft band etc.

What is the safest way to remove the putter head from the shaft. Thanks in advance.

5 Wood nd2golf is on a distinguished road nd2golf's Avatar
    Some say they have simply held the putter over their stove and that worked. I personally used a blow torch and it came off pretty simple.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I'd be careful about messing with a classic grip in plastic putter like that. Once you take the shaft out, you'd throw away a big chunk of it's value. The whole point of a GIP putter is that it's brand new, never been used and never altered. If it's going to be a gamer obviously go nuts, but don't do it if it's a collectable putter for you.

Baxter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherks View Post
    I am sending my Tei3 in to the shop to be modified, I want to remove the head from the shaft because they do not return the old shaft and grip and the putter I am sending is brand new, grip still in plastic, original shaft band etc.

What is the safest way to remove the putter head from the shaft. Thanks in advance.
    Cherks,

I just did my first last Friday. It was a piece of cake. I used a blow dryer. My wife has a high end model that she just bought. The heat this thing throws off was amazing. I had the head and shaft apart in less than 5 minutes. Just hold it under the dryer turning it slow so that the whole thing gets heated. After a short while, I was able to turn the shaft and twist it right out of the head. Just sent the putter head in today for a little pimpin Gold....I was surprised on easy it was. ...I have also heard a heat gun works great as well.

Hope this helps and good luck

Wellllll.......we're waiting...... (hehe Gotta love Judge Smails). So what did you send in to the spa?

Dave

7 Wood Cherks is on a distinguished road Cherks's Avatar
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I was going to keep this as a collectable but after hitting a few puts on the carpet I have decided to game it...it is a tough decision because it is an older putter in brand new shape, I just don't think an off the rack putter will ever increase in value too much, I will wait to start purchasing putters to collect until I can actually afford the real rare stuff.

So a brand new TEi3 will be going to the shop for a Pro Platnium finish, sight dot, two lines on the flange and dancing initials with a custom shop stamp.

I too am going with a black and gold paintfill, ltd. gold headcover, a black mid-size custom shop grip and a black and gold shaft band...I just hope I am making the right choice, I will post pics in a few months when it comes back.
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 10-31-2007 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Shaft sales go in the Component portion of the B/S/T section

Baxter
    Quote Originally Posted by nd2golf View Post
    Wellllll.......we're waiting...... (hehe Gotta love Judge Smails). So what did you send in to the spa?

Dave
    Not sure this question was for me? If so...Studio Design 3.5 - Lots of Gold on this baby!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bullis View Post
    Not sure this question was for me? If so...Studio Design 3.5 - Lots of Gold on this baby!!!!!!

Sorry, yeah that was for you. I was tryin' to be funny.

Very nice, I had a SD 3.5 and really liked it. Putts great and I got a lot of compliments on it and it was only the factory colours.

Dave

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherks View Post
    TEi3 will be going to the shop for a Pro Platnium finish.
    I wouldn't PP a TeI3. It stiffens the feel as they PP the insert too.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    2 thoughts:

If you can afford it, buy another used one to send in. Mint old OTRs are going up in value. Each one that gets redone reduces the numbers out there. I dumped a couple of tei3 heads for $125 last summer so the potential deals are definitely there.

If you want to game it, then do so. It is a great putter and PP'ing will definitely make it feel harder. The whole Custom shop experience is amazing, but if you are PP'ing a Tei3, it gets expensive FAST. Upcharge on a Tei3 because of the insert, and an upcharge to pro platinum it. Plus, they will custom shop stamp it to make sure that it isn't confused with a "made for tour" putter in the future.

But then again, it is your putter. If you decide to send it in, enjoy spending the next 45 days on SC.com constantly hitting refresh. I know that I did.

Baxter
    Just took apart another today using the blowdryer...Sending a Studio Style Newport head into the spa. This was faster this time as I have the touch now. I have 3 of these so I thought lets change one up. This one's going to be done all Pink with her middle name on the toe face...plus a $ stamp as my little girl has cost a few bucks..LOL will post pictures when it's back - this should be a quick turn around as there is no refinishing to be done.

Thread Information