CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Maybe the Sens could ask the Pats what to do when you are up big late in the game. We all saw what happen vs Atlanta (last place team inthe league)

Back to the original question: when do you start taking it easy. Up 5-0 (NHL) with 12 minutes left is way too early. Is up 35-0 (NFL) at the beginning of the 4th quarter too early?

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Rick, you have only 4 lines in hockey and one line could not possibly play a whole third period. NFL teams have a large roster of backups, and they don't play at the same speed as hockey. Football is slow, hockey is fast. I'm saying you can't compare the active rosters at all. Same as baseball. And golf just isn't physical and you can't sit out, so it doesn't even come close.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Come on Donny, you mean to say if a hockey team is running up the score that someone on that team could not get a stick in the face from the other team? Or hit from behind into the boards, which we all know could cause a career ending injury. Or how about the dreaded hit to the knee, or to the head? Pretty serious injuries IMO. Career ending in some cases.

So the coach says:

"Ok boys, we are up by 5 goals now, I am just going to play the 3rd and 4th lines from here til the buzzer. I hope they do not give up too many goals and we blow this lead."

I don't think so!

Sillywilly tells me there is an "UNWRITTEN RULE" in football that you do not run up the score. Who wrote that rule? The teams that were constantly getting their butts whooped?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

If you look at the title of the thread, my issue is with Brady still playing when the game was over. Yes, over. He should have been sitting on the sideline. Let the backups play the regular playbook, whatever. But take out your franchise.

Personally I don't think you should be throwing for 50 yard bombs in the 4th quarter when you're up by 38, but that's me. Don't forget, say Brady throws an INT, someone is going to lay him out LEGALLY. No fine, no suspension, Brady is fair game.

Having played, I can say that we always took out our skilled starters when we were winning big or losing big.
    Quote Originally Posted by B Nation View Post
    You never tell your players to stop trying. In any sport. In a hockey blowout, you generally see the 3rd and 4th lines more ice time. Let them work the pp, etc. They can still go out and try to score, but it is obvious as a team, you aren't pressing to score more goals. In baseball, its expected that you are going to try and hit the ball every time up, so blowouts in baseball happen, and everyone is cool with it.

Football is totally different, I am astounded that people can't see that. In football you can (and should) take out your starters. You can also take the air out of the ball. That helps keep the clock moving, doesn't risk turnovers, and doesnt risk the qb. If you guys watch much football, you'd see that in a blowout, running the football is standard operating procedure. That's the biggest beef people have. Tom Brady up 38-0 in the fourth going shotgun with 4 wides on 1st and 10. That is something you NEVER see out of other teams.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Well, it looks as though the Pats and their coach are a good team after all. Come on, admit it. You like the Patriots.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Having played, I can say that we always took out our skilled starters when we were winning big or losing big.

Is that when they put you in?

ZING!

That was a great game last night, I really enjoyed it.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    It was a great game. How about that one-handed grab? Wow. As much as I enjoyed the game, it would have been even better had so many of the Colts not been injured. That's football, though.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Thread Information