CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    RICK, thats not the same thing....

Sure it is. Don't tell me that when Woods lapped the field when he won the US Open at Pebble Beach that he let up on the gas on Sunday.

Why would anyone want to do that. I have seen JR hockey games where a team had a 5 goal lead going into the third period. They eased off and next thing you know the game was tied and the team was in trouble.

Never, never let up in professional or amateur sports. If the other team can't compete that is their problem. Same as golf, if you and I play and I whoop your butt by 15 strokes it is because I am a better golfer. Why should I let up, when I am trying to shoot the best score I can?

You think the Boston Red Sox let up during the World Series once they had a big lead in game 1? Not a chance, pedal to the metal baby!

In hockey a team can dump and chase, dump and chase to kill time if they have a 10 goal lead. What does a football team do? Toss incomplete passes or fail to run the ball for a first down? Then the other team gets the ball in their hands and has a chance to score. Is that the way to play the game? Would you as a coach tell your players to play the game that way? I know I wouldn't.

I am not a big NFL fan but it seems to me there are some sour grapes here when it comes to the Patriots
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    They scored ZERO points in the fourth quarter in that Detroit game for example, they had Jim Sorgi in AND he only attempted 3 passes! RUN OUT THE CLOCK.

And the backups don't get put in to not execute. If your second team scores, more power to you. But it's just stupid to have your star QB in the 4th quarter slinging the ball around still. I'm SURE the fans would be more upset at a season ending injury in the 4th quarter then they would seeing Brady wearing a ball cap on the sideline.

<
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    "Whatever, Manning has ALWAYS run out the clock when they are up."

Here are some stats from his 49 TD year (2004)

Nov. 14 vs Houston -- 49 -14 -- 5 TD pass
    Nov. 21 at Chicago -- 41 - 10 -- 4 TD pass
    Nov. 25 at Detroit -- 41 - 9 -- 6 TD pass

I don't hink he was running out the clock.

If you guys watch the game today between Miami and Giants, the Giants were knealing down for the last 2 or 3 plays and running the clock and the crowd were booing them badly. It was quite funny.

When I spend money to go watch a game live I hope they play right to the end... I don't care what the score is.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    If 2 teams were tied at the end of the regular season and amongst the many factors that determine breaking a tie wouldn't the total points scored be one of the factors?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Mahatma Gandhi

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    If Brady had gotten sacked and tore an MCL or ACL and received a season ending injury when they were uop 45-0, you would all be saying the complete opposite. He should not have been in the game.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    It's interesting that no one has answered my earlier questions of when and how do you start to ease off? My questions were very practical ones relating to yesterday's game that those who are attacking the Pats should be able to answer, and yet, no answers. Does that mean that there is a disconnect between theory and practice?
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

I never said that I wouldn't have pulled him out to minimize potential injuries. I would have. However, the Patriots' haters seem little concerned with his health and safety, and more concerned with reining in a team for being so proficient at scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    If Brady had gotten sacked and tore an MCL or ACL and received a season ending injury when they were uop 45-0, you would all be saying the complete opposite. He should not have been in the game.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Crystal ball imo. That could happen in practice, in preseason or on the first play of the game or never.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    It's interesting that no one has answered my earlier questions of when and how do you start to ease off?
    IMHO you should never ease off in a contact sport. That is when you get hurt.

If the Pats wanted to score less they could have switched in some backups to give them game time but I'm with you on this one Mike. Let the first string guys play. If the score ends up 89-0, so be it.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    IMHO you should never ease off in a contact sport. That is when you get hurt.

If the Pats wanted to score less they could have switched in some backups to give them game time but I'm with you on this one Mike. Let the first string guys play. If the score ends up 89-0, so be it.
    And then your first string guys get hurt and suddenly you don't win anymore as your back-ups are just that, back-ups and not stars. Without Brady at the help the Patriots lose out the rest of the year. Protect your star QB and pull him when you're up 35-0 and run the ball and run out the clock.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    If the GM's, Coaches, Players, Waterboys or Fans of any of the other 31 teams in the league want to stop the Pats from scoring so many points my advice would be - Learn to play defense!!

Everyone was running their mouths about how the Pats 3 Super Bowl wins were tainted and how anyone could win games and put up points if they new what the other team was going to do AFTER the whole Spygate affair.........this is Coach B thumbing his nose to league and all of the doubters......the Pats are being watched like hawks now and they are still putting up huge numbers against everyone. The experts basically all said that they couldn't do it against the 'Skins because every player at every defensive skill position was a Top 10 First Round Draft pick - Billy B thinks "Oh Yeah let's see then......."

52-7 'nuff said.

I say if you can score 100 points then do it and don't kid all of the first line guys will be in for the entire game against Indy next week even if the score is out of hand.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    And then your first string guys get hurt and suddenly you don't win anymore as your back-ups are just that, back-ups and not stars.
    Clearly that's a risk that they were willing to take.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

A question for all of you who are fans of a certain NFL Team. If your team was tearing another team apart and the score was climbing would YOU want your team to shut down the offence?

I doubt it. Be honest here, every fan loves to see their team OPEN UP A BIG CAN OF WHOOP A**. If you don't you are not a true fan.

The Pats romped, the coach felt it was just fine to leave Brady in the game. He runs the risk of having his star QB injured. Apparently he felt his offensive linemen could take care of Brady and apparently they can

Why question the coach's decisions, the QB's decisions? As I said before it just sounds like sour grapes to me in regards to this score.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Why didn't the Redskins pull all their starters and try and run out the clock?

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Why didn't the Redskins pull all their starters and try and run out the clock?
    You mean they lost that bad with their starters in????

This weekend's match up of NE at Indy will be, or should be, AWESOME. I predict the winner of this game wins the SB, although fundonn's Chargers are on the comeback trail finally.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Foer those who didn't watch the game.

Brady didn't start a drive in the 4th quarter. He finished the drive started in the third quarter.

Cassell (2nd QB) came in for the first drive of the 4th quarter and scored a TD. Was he happy he scored, for sure it is his first TD of his 93 year) NFL carreer.

Gutierrez (3rd QB) came in for the 2nd drive of the fourth quarter.

In their last 2 drives the Redskins went to the no huddle - shotgun to try to score faster. They were certainly not killing time.

On their last drive Washington called a time out with 30 seconds left.

Chambo

You can bet your bottom dollar that I'd be screaming at the top of my lungs to pull the starting QB and RB at the very least. Falcons are my main team - if Vick (old Vick, not new Vick) was in the game in the 4th quarter of a blowout (either on the winning or losing side), they'd take him out. You don't risk the franchise for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    A question for all of you who are fans of a certain NFL Team. If your team was tearing another team apart and the score was climbing would YOU want your team to shut down the offence?

I doubt it. Be honest here, every fan loves to see their team OPEN UP A BIG CAN OF WHOOP A**. If you don't you are not a true fan.

The Pats romped, the coach felt it was just fine to leave Brady in the game. He runs the risk of having his star QB injured. Apparently he felt his offensive linemen could take care of Brady and apparently they can

Why question the coach's decisions, the QB's decisions? As I said before it just sounds like sour grapes to me in regards to this score.

[quote=fundonny;216263] Falcons are my main team - if Vick (old Vick, not new Vick)
    quote]

Come on. Admit it. You're a 72 Dolphins fan but you're are ashamed of the 2007 Dolphins who will write history the other way around i.e a winningless season while the Pats are on their way to a possible no loss season. Come out of the closet
    Mahatma Gandhi

You're on to something. Fundonny has not been a fan of the Pats for a long time. His various postings bear that out. Perhaps it's a case of unrequited and unreciprocated love for a real team.

[QUOTE=Chieflongtee;216266]
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Come on. Admit it. You're a 72 Dolphins fan but you're are ashamed of the 2007 Dolphins who will write history the other way around i.e a winningless season while the Pats are on their way to a possible no loss season. Come out of the closet

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Every snap of every game, each and every player is risking his career. It's part of the game and part of the chance all these guy take. So regardless of the score, the chance of someone getting injured is the same when the game starts 0-0 or when the score is 60-0.

Like Mike said, I think it's more of an anti-Patriots thing than it is a problem with running up the score.

My father is a huge Nascar fan, his favourite driver is Jeff Gordon. I'm not so sure about his popularity now, but when he first set foot on Nascar tracks and started winning, he was disliked immensely. I find when teams/athletes dominate their respective sports it breeds hatred/contempt/dislike. Why that is, I don't know.

For instance in golf, with Tiger. There are many "Tiger Haters" out there. And more often than the reasoning is "All they do is show Tiger's shots on tv"...... Well believe it or not, that is something he can not control. So why hate someone for something they have absolutely no control over?

But the love/hate is what makes a sports fan a fan. If we all had the same favourite team it would just be so boring.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road

Bill Belichick

I don't care about running up the score at all. Having said that, it seems clear at this point that a lot of people around the league don't like it at all. If it continues, you can bet there will be some guys who will take exception, and start to look to do some harm to some NE guys. I am NOT saying this is right, I am just saying it is bound to happen, considering the amount of attention that this is stirring up.

Will this stop Belichick from doing it? I doubt it. The guy's ego is out of control. I personally believe he is the best coach in the NFL, the best coach the league has seen in awhile, and eventually he'll be in Canton regarded as one of the best coaches ever. All of that certainly doesn't stop him from being a huge jerk. I know sports is all about winning, but he's a really hard guy to cheer for.

Geoff, a guy can't get injured in the 4th quarter of a blowout if he's standing on the sidelines. You reduce the odds of your star players getting hurt by playing smart.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Geoff, a guy can't get injured in the 4th quarter of a blowout if he's standing on the sidelines. You reduce the odds of your star players getting hurt by playing smart.

Not the point I'm trying to make.

The Pats are playing to win regardless of the score. So the risk it worth it to them. They probably have the mindset that I have, Brady (or another star player) has just as much chance getting hurt on the first play as they do on the last, so let him/them play.

Ex: Brady gets hurt on the first play, the back up still routs the opposition. Do you pull the "back up" out because the game is a rout?

I'm with the Pats, send a message to the rest of the league.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=221950&hubname=

and this is why you never take your foot off the gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=221950&hubname=

and this is why you never take your foot off the gas.
    That was a good example of my point I was trying to make.
    HAMMER DOWN AT ALL TIMES.

"Gee I birdied the first three holes and my buddy boogied them. I guess I better whack one OB so he doesn't feel like he is getting his butt kicked. OH OH, I made double, buddy made EAGLE. "

I bet you would never do that on a golf course, so why whine about a professional football team, hockey team or ball team doing it on the playing field? If the coach and players do not feel at risk then that is their decision to continue to play. Their decision, not the fans or the other team.

Other teams players that retaliate later on are idiots and if that happens they should be banned for the rest of the season. It's one thing to play hard and play fair. It is another thing to go out on the field and go head hunting.

You can't compare hockey to football. Well, you can try, but there is no relevance. Same as golf.

Oh?????

You can't compare hockey to football. Well, you can try, but there is no relevance. Same as golf.

Come on Donny, you mean to say if a hockey team is running up the score that someone on that team could not get a stick in the face from the other team? Or hit from behind into the boards, which we all know could cause a career ending injury. Or how about the dreaded hit to the knee, or to the head? Pretty serious injuries IMO. Career ending in some cases.

So the coach says:

"Ok boys, we are up by 5 goals now, I am just going to play the 3rd and 4th lines from here til the buzzer. I hope they do not give up too many goals and we blow this lead."

I don't think so!

Sillywilly tells me there is an "UNWRITTEN RULE" in football that you do not run up the score. Who wrote that rule? The teams that were constantly getting their butts whooped?

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road
    You never tell your players to stop trying. In any sport. In a hockey blowout, you generally see the 3rd and 4th lines more ice time. Let them work the pp, etc. They can still go out and try to score, but it is obvious as a team, you aren't pressing to score more goals. In baseball, its expected that you are going to try and hit the ball every time up, so blowouts in baseball happen, and everyone is cool with it.

Football is totally different, I am astounded that people can't see that. In football you can (and should) take out your starters. You can also take the air out of the ball. That helps keep the clock moving, doesn't risk turnovers, and doesnt risk the qb. If you guys watch much football, you'd see that in a blowout, running the football is standard operating procedure. That's the biggest beef people have. Tom Brady up 38-0 in the fourth going shotgun with 4 wides on 1st and 10. That is something you NEVER see out of other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by B Nation View Post
    You never tell your players to stop trying. In any sport. In a hockey blowout, you generally see the 3rd and 4th lines more ice time. Let them work the pp, etc. They can still go out and try to score, but it is obvious as a team, you aren't pressing to score more goals. In baseball, its expected that you are going to try and hit the ball every time up, so blowouts in baseball happen, and everyone is cool with it.

Football is totally different, I am astounded that people can't see that. In football you can (and should) take out your starters. You can also take the air out of the ball. That helps keep the clock moving, doesn't risk turnovers, and doesnt risk the qb. If you guys watch much football, you'd see that in a blowout, running the football is standard operating procedure. That's the biggest beef people have. Tom Brady up 38-0 in the fourth going shotgun with 4 wides on 1st and 10. That is something you NEVER see out of other teams.
    Maybe the other teams can not build up a 38-0 leaded going into the fourth quarter

It really is pointless to continue on about this blowout. Brady and Co did what they wanted to do and not one of us, or anyone else in the NFL is going to stop him. Records are records and maybe he is seeking one.

Thread Information