100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OG Cook Book

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

OG Cook Book

Around my house, I do my fair share of cooking (especially BBQ-ing). There's nothing like fresh meat on the grill. Mmmmmmm.

But, on weekends I'm also the designated breakfast cooker, and I have a breakfast meal that really hits the spot that I'll share with you. I've been working on this recipe for a long time, and I've finally got what I think is the right combination of ingredients.

Anyone else out there have a specialty they want to share? I'm ALWAYS up for good food.

LobWedge's Signature "Spaghetti Western" Breakfast Burrito

I call it Spaghetti Western because it has elements of America, Mexico, Spain, and Italy, just like the classic Clint Eastwood films. And, the elements of a Western Omelette. Try it, I know you'll like it. Feeds 3-4 hungry golfers.

Ingredients:

1/2 diced green pepper
    1/2 diced red pepper
    1/3 diced large white or Spanish onion
    1/3 cup of chopped cilantro
    2 uncooked Italian sausages (mild or spicy), casings removed
    1/3-1/2 cup shredded italiano cheese (4 cheese blend, PC, Kraft, or similar)
    1 tsp Cajun seasoning
    1 tbsp light cooking oil (I use grapeseed oil)
    1/3 cup of water
    3-4 large soft whole wheat, or white tortillas
    9-12 large eggs

Directions:

- Preheat a large skillet medium to med-high (depending on the cooktop, never higher than med-high). Add cooking oil and Italian sausage. Break up sausage until it has a chunky consistency, and cook until mostly done (no pink).

- While the sausage is cooking, crack the eggs in a mixing bowl, add the water and whisk together until the egg mix is uniform in consistency (I find the water helps the eggs be a bit less "clumpy" when cooked)

- Add peppers, onion, and cilantro and saute until onion starts to get translucent. Add the cajun spice and blend it in. (things should be smelling REALLY good now)

- Fold in the egg mix and scramble everything together.

- When the scramble is almost done, add the cheese and blend it in (adds flavour, and is a nice "binding agent" for the eggs. When the cheese is melted in, and the eggs are cooked to your preferred doneness, remove the skillet from heat.

- Put the soft tortillas on individual plates and add a good portion of the scramble mix to each one. Spread the mix over the tortilla until you have about a 3/4" coating of scramble on the soft tortilla, with about a 1" rim of bare tortilla around the outside.

- Roll the tortillas up with the scramble inside to make a burrito (not too tight, remember the Dominican crepe rollers from Seinfeld, LOL!). Make sure the last edge of the tortilla ends up underneath, so everything stays rolled up.

OPTIONAL:

- If you want, you can put the buritos back in the skillet and brown them slightly on each side to make a crispier crust. I've done this, and it takes some patience, but I usually skip this part.

- Garnish burritos with sour cream and/or your favourite salsa to taste, and dig in!

Enjoy!!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    That looks good Rich, I will have to try it sometime

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    ok I got one for you... its really tasty and even more fun to make!

Wild Possum Kabob

Ingredients:
    1 Still breathing, corn-fed Possum
    3 Ripe but firm tomatoes
    1 Large white or yellow onion
    1/2 pound large mushrooms
    2 large green peppers
    1 package meat marinade
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    12 skewers (sticks are okay in Arkansas)

Preparation:
    The possum must be alive so that you can scare it, giving you the "wild" taste from all the adrenaline it produces. It is best to hit it over the head with a large object in a humane manner. Boil the possum for 3 minutes to loosen the fur then skin and gut it.
    De-limb (chop the little knubby legs off) the possum and cut the meat into 1/2 inch square chunks. Marinate overnight in a mixture of meat marinade and soy sauce. Kentucky residents who have no fridge can use an ice chest and may use radiator coolant instead of soy sauce.
    Thread the meat and veggies onto your skewer/stick in alternating sequences to distribute the delicious flavor evenly. Cook over a barbecue, pit, 50 gallon drum or any other fire till you get the desired result. For added flavor, you can cook it over burning tires

Possum and Taters

Ingredients:
    1 young, fat possum
    8 sweet potatoes
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon sugar
    salt

Directions: First, catch a possum. This in itself is excellent entertainment on a moonlight night. Skin the possum and remove the head and feet. Be sure to wash it thoroughly. Freeze overnight either outside or in a refrigerator.
    When ready to cook, peel the potatoes and boil them tender in lightly salted water along with the butter and sugar. At the same time, stew the possum tender in a tightly covered pan with a little water. Arrange the taters around the possum, strip with bacon, sprinkle with thyme or marjoram, or pepper, and brown in the oven. Baste often with the drippings.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    but seriously Rich that sounds good!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I 'll share my extremely easy recipe for guaccamole.

Paramount importance is the avocadoes. Must be ripe but not over ripe.

Prep them (remove skin & stone)

Put them in a bowl.

Add about a cup (depending on how many avocadoes you use) of your favourite salsa. I like about 2 parts avocado to 1 part salsa. This is so the guaccamole is still green.

Mix it up (I use a butcher knife to do this, so that the guacc is not pulverized)

Serve. Goes well with chips. Also tasty on a fajita.

I've gotten so many compliments on this, folks are always asking me how I make it. They assume that I've sauteed onions, peppers & basically everything in the salsa.

You can pump it up by adding chopped cilantro, lemon juice, garlic. But If you've got good salsa its pretty good just as is.
    Andrew

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    I 'll share my extremely easy recipe for guaccamole.

Paramount importance is the avocadoes. Must be ripe but not over ripe.

Prep them (remove skin & stone)

Put them in a bowl.

Add about a cup (depending on how many avocadoes you use) of your favourite salsa. I like about 2 parts avocado to 1 part salsa. This is so the guaccamole is still green.

Mix it up (I use a butcher knife to do this, so that the guacc is not pulverized)

Serve. Goes well with chips. Also tasty on a fajita.

I've gotten so many compliments on this, folks are always asking me how I make it. They assume that I've sauteed onions, peppers & basically everything in the salsa.

You can pump it up by adding chopped cilantro, lemon juice, garlic. But If you've got good salsa its pretty good just as is.
    Cool. I'll have to try that one. I love guacamole!

p.s. I swear by Herdez brand salsa. The most authentic one out there IMO. It has cilantro in it already. Try it out.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Thread Information