100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar

Help with Plasma TV Setup

I have had a Plasma HD Flatscreen for about 6 months now. The other day I noticed 'burn in' on the borders where it is blank when a non HD channel is being watched. Fortunately Samsung TV's have an option in the menu to run a pixel test patern that will erase the burn in and it did a great job.

My question is what does everyone else do when they are watching a non HD program and the screensize reverts from 16:9 to 4:3 so I don't have to run the pixel test to often.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Dynamic stretch is what I use in both My Sony LCD rear projection and Sony flatpanel LCD TVs. You get used to it in a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    Dynamic stretch is what I use in both My Sony LCD rear projection and Sony flatpanel LCD TVs. You get used to it in a day or two.
    The 'stretch' is a royal pain in the ass! When I choose that option, I lose any on screen commentary (ie. a players name and score on a golf telecast or the scoring summary on a hockey telecast) Also, it cuts about half the person's head off on other telecasts Definitely can't get used to that !

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I have LCD so don't haave this problem, read this: http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...tv-burnin.html

Maybe it will help a little.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    I have LCD so don't haave this problem, read this: http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...tv-burnin.html

Maybe it will help a little.
    Thanks...... the factory setting for the contrast is 100% they state in here to move it to 50%. I will try it and see. Now the burn in was not very noticeable (but I noticed it) and the pixel shift option erased it completely in about an hour so it is no biggy,but I was wondering how to avoid having to run that every 6 months.

Thanks weazl

Thats a tough one as the black bars are always present when watching non HD. Check the settings for your HD provider too ( i.e. Bell or Rogers) maybe you can stretch the screen other ways as I can stretch the screen through the TV, or through Rogers and when I do it through my TV I have no issues but through Rogers I experience similar cut-off problems as you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    Thats a tough one as the black bars are always present when watching non HD. Check the settings for your HD provider too ( i.e. Bell or Rogers) maybe you can stretch the screen other ways as I can stretch the screen through the TV, or through Rogers and when I do it through my TV I have no issues but through Rogers I experience similar cut-off problems as you do.
    Yup, I just figured that out. I went into the TV settings and it gave me 3 options whereas Rogers remote was only 2 options. Its not all that bad now

There's usually so many options it takes a while to find a solution, however there's usually one to be found. Cheers and enjoy!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Thanks...... the factory setting for the contrast is 100% they state in here to move it to 50%. I will try it and see. Now the burn in was not very noticeable (but I noticed it) and the pixel shift option erased it completely in about an hour so it is no biggy,but I was wondering how to avoid having to run that every 6 months.

Thanks weazl
    Can you run that every 6 months? I have the same option on my Hitachi and I think you'll wreck the plasma if you run it more than a couple times.

Definitely dial back the settings, I have my contrast and brightness levels around 35-40% and it still looks great. Also, it sounds more like you're using a 4:3 'zoom' function as opposed to a 4:3 'stretch'. I don't lose any of the running scrolls or whatever on my set when watching standard def in the stretched mode.

**edit, nevermind I see you figured it out. definitely still dial back the settings***

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Can you run that every 6 months? I have the same option on my Hitachi and I think you'll wreck the plasma if you run it more than a couple times.

Definitely dial back the settings, I have my contrast and brightness levels around 35-40% and it still looks great. Also, it sounds more like you're using a 4:3 'zoom' function as opposed to a 4:3 'stretch'. I don't lose any of the running scrolls or whatever on my set when watching standard def in the stretched mode.

**edit, nevermind I see you figured it out. definitely still dial back the settings***
    It says I can run it as often as necessary.... It gives me two different option, all white or signal pattern (it recommends the signal pattern for up to an hour)

I dont have a stretch option standard, zoom1 or zoom 2 and it still cuts of the running scrolls

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post

I got it, I had to change one of the cable settings on the cable box! the picture was set to pass through, I had to change it to fixed MUCH BETTER!!!

1 Iron Bidou is on a distinguished road Bidou's Avatar
    Burn in's on plasma's can take a toll on the flat screen. It usually cuts the life of the plasma short by so many hours per screen wipe. Something to check up on in your manual anyway.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I missed this thread earlier. A couple of points:

1. You should definitely have the contrast turned down from the defaults. Torch mode = bad.

2. The correct setting for the 8300HD is passthru. This way you should be able to use the stretch/zoom features on the plasma. I'd have to check the features of the Samsung but most of the plasmas have better features than the 8300HD.

3. Don't worry about screen wipers lowering the life expectancy. Pretty much all plasmas are rated for 60,000 hours (half-brightness) these days. That's a LOT of TV.

4. Assuming your plasma has a setting for this set it to use 50% grey bars for 4:3 material.

5. Turn on any orbiter functions if it has them.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Here's a thought, don't be so cheap and buy a full HD content package

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I missed this thread earlier. A couple of points:

1. You should definitely have the contrast turned down from the defaults. Torch mode = bad.

2. The correct setting for the 8300HD is passthru. This way you should be able to use the stretch/zoom features on the plasma. I'd have to check the features of the Samsung but most of the plasmas have better features than the 8300HD.

3. Don't worry about screen wipers lowering the life expectancy. Pretty much all plasmas are rated for 60,000 hours (half-brightness) these days. That's a LOT of TV.

4. Assuming your plasma has a setting for this set it to use 50% grey bars for 4:3 material.

5. Turn on any orbiter functions if it has them.
    I did 1,3,4 & 5. 2 does not work. if I set it to pass thru on the cable box I don't get the stretch option but I do get the stretch option with the fixed setting.

Thanks JV....

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Here's a thought, don't be so cheap and buy a full HD content package

I got a full year of HD content with the purcghase of the TV. Unfortunately the channels I watch the most are not available in HD through Rogers, only through Bell.

I will probably end up switching to Bell when the year of free HD programming and HDPVR are up no, I did not have to sign a multi year deal with Rogers

I got a full year of HD content with the purcghase of the TV. Unfortunately the channels I watch the most are not available in HD through Rogers, only through Bell.

I will probably end up switching to Bell when the year of free HD programming and HDPVR are up no, I did not have to sign a multi year deal with Rogers
    OK, now I'm curious as to what channels you watch that aren't available in HD

OK, now I'm curious as to what channels you watch that aren't available in HD
    A&E, HGTV, TLC and CNN

A&E, HGTV, TLC and CNN
    Oh, so you mean Bugsy's channels aren't available in HD

Yup, I just figured that out. I went into the TV settings and it gave me 3 options whereas Rogers remote was only 2 options. Its not all that bad now
    Have you programmed your HD box to output the resolutions that you want? I have mine output 460p, 460i, 720p and 1080i

This lets me use the HD box remote and the little * down in the lower right hand corner to toggle between Std, stretch 1 and stretch 2 setting for each resoultion.......

To program the HD box you nee to run the Wizard which I believe is activated by holding the setup and power buttons down at the same time on the box (I may have the buttons wrong but I can check)

Have you programmed your HD box to output the resolutions that you want? I have mine output 460p, 460i, 720p and 1080i

This lets me use the HD box remote and the little * down in the lower right hand corner to toggle between Std, stretch 1 and stretch 2 setting for each resoultion.......

To program the HD box you nee to run the Wizard which I believe is activated by holding the setup and power buttons down at the same time on the box (I may have the buttons wrong but I can check)
    Yup, thats all done but as I say, one of the remote options didn't work so I had to manually change to fixed from pass-thru

Yup, thats all done but as I say, one of the remote options didn't work so I had to manually change to fixed from pass-thru
    Put in a service call and request a new box.........I've had well over a dozen HD boxes which is why I'll never buy my own - especially an HDPVR those hard drives are basically recording 24/7 because between the wife and kids my TVs are hardly ever turned off

I did 1,3,4 & 5. 2 does not work. if I set it to pass thru on the cable box I don't get the stretch option but I do get the stretch option with the fixed setting.

Thanks JV....
    Something doesn't jive here.

Are you saying that if you have the STB set to passthru and you are watching a 4:3 show that you cannot stretch/zoom on the TV but when you have the STB set to fixed you can?

Or are you using the zoom on the STB?

Something doesn't jive here.

Are you saying that if you have the STB set to passthru and you are watching a 4:3 show that you cannot stretch/zoom on the TV but when you have the STB set to fixed you can?

Or are you using the zoom on the STB?
    I can use the zoom only, not the stretch

What model is the TV?

You do have the 8300HD PVR right?

What model is the TV?

You do have the 8300HD PVR right?
    I am not at home so I am not sure of either model number.... I will check later when I get home.

Gap Wedge oktawa is on a distinguished road
    you should have bought a lcd, less power consumption

Quote Originally Posted by oktawa View Post
    What ever was I thinking???

1 Iron Daft_driver is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by oktawa View Post
    The real world difference is about 40$ per year in electricity if you watch 1000hours...
    For that small sum, I'll keep my plasma, and enjoy the better colours and blacks, and not get a headache when watching sports thanks.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Forget about LCD vs. Plasma. The difference there is minimal providing you have bought quality products for comparison (ie. No Viewsonic HDTVs).

What most people should be concerned about when buying their HDTV is the following fact: Most of what you watch today is not HD. And even HD channels do not broadcast in HD format 24/7.

This means that you TV must up-convert the signal coming in to show it on your TV. What is as important and is often ignored by people buying an HDTV is how good the up-conversion chip in the TV is.

This is where the Sony LCD really kicks the ass of its competition (Sharp, Samsung, Panasonic)....

Thread Information