CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar

Mike Weir - Opposite views from CBSSports.com Staffers

Question: 1. Is Mike Weir's victory in Scottsdale last weekend a signal of a gathering resurgence or just a fleeting glance of his former greatness?

http://www.sportsline.com/golf/story/10429701

Steve Elling and Ross Devenport have opposite views of Mike.......

Did anyone else know that Mike was injured by a fan at the 2004 Cdn Open....???

"At the 2004 Canadian Open, as he was walking to the 10th hole, a well-meaning but overzealous fan reached out and grabbed him, wrenching his neck and causing all sorts of shoulder issues."
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    yes, his injuries have been well documented. It's amazing how something like that can throw you off, combined with a swing change. Let's hope he can be a top 30 player again on the tour.

Look at Alfie last year, he had major skate issues, then found a new pair and has lit it up since. Night and day really.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I'm gonna go with resurgence. Everybody laughs when he gets the comparisons to Gary Player, but it's true. He's like a friggin Jack Russell that won't let go. Lot's of guys have been chewed up and spit out by the likes of Tiger, and very few have been able to get back in the ring with him and goe toe to toe. Weir is one of them.

He's learned from every beat-down he's received on tour, and he's come back stronger. 8 wins on tour including a major. That's a lot better than most guys his age out there. He'll be around for a long while.

I'll probably get some feedback here, but I completely agree with Frank Nobilo's assessment that Mike Weir is the best golfer that Canada has ever produced.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I choose to believe that this signals a resurgence of Mike Weir as Canada's preeminent golfer and one of the world's very best.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    I choose to believe that this signals a resurgence of Mike Weir as Canada's preeminent golfer and one of the world's very best.
    Ditto on this. He has worked hard over the last few years and hopefully will continue in the way of late. Go Mike
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post

Did anyone else know that Mike was injured by a fan at the 2004 Cdn Open....???
    Yes. I was there - well, not at that hole. I was waiting for him and Vijay at the 18th tee.

As to Mike's game, let me see, not only did he win the tournament, he beat Tiget head-to-head. How many have done that?

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    i wonder if he could sue the fan....

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I believe Mike is the best player yet to come from Canada and I believe he is one of the top 15 in the world. Do I think he will ever reach the top 3 to 5 again, nope but he will be around for a long time to come and will add to those 8 PGA titles

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I believe Mike is the best player yet to come from Canada and I believe he is one of the top 15 in the world. Do I think he will ever reach the top 3 to 5 again, nope but he will be around for a long time to come and will add to those 8 PGA titles
    But what will his resurgence do for Canadian Golf.........and the Canadian Dollar$$.........
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    But what will his resurgence do for Canadian Golf.........and the Canadian Dollar$$.........
    SFA, absolutely nothing. It might get some Utah teens playing golf though

Thread Information