CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 questions

3 Wood Rough Stuff is on a distinguished road

2 questions

2 simple rules questions.

1) Played at Upper Canada. Their local rule is "if its on the cart path (gravel) or a road, free lift". Is this a legit rule?

2) Hit a shot into some rough (different course). It is normally tall grass. They had cut it. Big piles of grass clippings (old and dry). My ball was on a mound of it. Free drop? If so, do I keep going back along my line until I'm out of the rough?

Thanks.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    1. Yes. A cartpath is an immovable obstruction and relief may be obtained without penalty.

2. Generally, no free relief would be granted for grass clippings.

If the material has been piled for removal, it would constitute "ground under repair", but that seems unlikely from your description of the clippings as "old and dry".

However, if in doubt, Rule 3-3 allows you to play a second ball and settle the matter at the completion of the round.

State that you wish to invoke this Rule and also the ball with which you will score if the Rules permit.

Play the original ball as it lies on the clippings and another ball after taking relief from interference by the clippings as described below.

Find the nearest point of relief which is not in a hazard or on a putting green. Drop a ball within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than this point, on a part of the course which avoids interference by the clippings and is not in a hazard or on a putting green.

Report the facts to the Committee before returning your scorecard.

BTW- Grass clippings are loose impediments and may be removed. Just make sure your ball doesn't move in the process.

Thanks.

BTW, couldn't remove the grass clippings, my ball was resting on a big nest of them (1.5 feet tall).

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Did you complain to the management that big piles of junk on the course prevented you from proper play of the game?

<rant>
    Would you go to a barber that had big piles of hair on the floor?
    Would you go to a theatre that had big piles of popcorn on the floor?
    Courses are not going to get the message until golfers start complaining about improper markings, lack of stakes, piles of debris, etc.
    </rant>

I couldn't be bothered...it was one ball on one hole in many games in this big thing called life, that is very short...I'm not going to bust a gut over a pile of grass.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rough Stuff
    I couldn't be bothered...it was one ball on one hole in many games in this big thing called life, that is very short...I'm not going to bust a gut over a pile of grass.

If you don't, who will??

Constructive critizism is always useful for course managers as they are always trying to improve playing conditions for their guests. It doesn't take much (just let the proshop staff know) and your job is done! Many little details can easily be overlooked by course staff and the only way to re-solve these "issues" is to say something. So, next time you see something that can easily be re-solved (like moving a pile of old clippings) say something to a staff member.

"Rants can easily be turned into raves"

Thread Information