100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    2 Iron GolferChick is on a distinguished road GolferChick's Avatar

Question Improving your game during winter?

I was wondering what everyone does during the winter to keep up their game or to improve it? I was thinking of joining OAC but was wondering what your experience with that has been and what other alternatives are out there? This is my first year playing and I feel like my timing is coming along and I would hate to have to start all over next season. I've made a lot of improvement from the beginning of the year to now (even got to break 100!!). My goal for next year would be to play constantly in the 90s. Any suggestions would help.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    If you are interested in keeping a club in your hands over the winter, there is an indoor league on Tuesday nights at the Bent Grass indoor facility in Bells Corners.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I went to OAC 2yrs. Found in the spring I had developed a bad pull. Was really shocked when I went out to play for real off real grass again. I found it really hard and incredibly frustrating after working so hard to actually get worse. Last year I didn't do anything and felt about the same at the beginning of the year. Some pros recommend you working over the winter and some say it is the worst thing you can do. I think it is pretty individual. This year I am going to stick with playing say either once a wk or twice a week on s simulator. There at least you have an idea of the direction and length of the shot you have played. I already focus too much on technique and play much better when I can get those thoughts out of my head Your swing is already very good from what I have seen.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I'll play sim golf a couple of times over the winter and I take it for what it is, simply a game, not real golf. I don't read too much into my swing when I play sim golf. Other than that I don't work on my game except for maybe putting on the carpet the odd time. I'm a firm believer that if you can't see your ball flight it's not worth it to work on your game. Like LB said, she ended up with a bad pull come the beginning of a season from all her hard work during the winter.

Just stick to some early season range time, the swing will come back sooner than later. And if you want to do anything, do what the likes of BCMIST and others do: work on your fitness, flexability and strength so you'll be in tip top shape come spring.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I do nothing during the winter to improve my game. No SIM golf for me. I walk the indoor track, and this year I will do some workouts. Maybe go see the PRO where he gives indoor lessons.
    Other than that, put em away until spring!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    This year I am thinking about T-to-green membership.

There are couple of epiphanies late in the season which I have 1/2 solidified and I think I can "lock them in" with focused practice over the winter.
    Back at it.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Stop thinking about what I can do to improve---give your brain a rest---it's a game--start again in the spring--it only takes a few games to get back to where you left off. Exercise to keep in shape and watch some golf on TV. We mortals will never get as good as the pros no matter how hard we try.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Stop thinking about what I can do to improve---give your brain a rest---it's a game--start again in the spring--it only takes a few games to get back to where you left off. Exercise to keep in shape and watch some golf on TV. We mortals will never get as good as the pros no matter how hard we try.
    Luckily the optimist in me beat the living tar out of the pestimist in me so ......

I'M IMMORTAL!

Back at it.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3 View Post
    There are couple of epiphanies late in the season which I have 1/2 solidified and I think I can "lock them in" with focused practice over the winter.
    As is indicated above, if you know what you need to do, then it can be developed into a subconscious habit ("locked in") by winter, indoor practice.

If one practices during the winter there is a high probability that you will get better. If you don't; you won't. One problem with indoor practice is that one can occasionally, perfect a fault, as LB had happen to her, if you cannot see where the ball is going. My solution is to hit balls at the Sensplex 3 or 4 times a week and once every two weeks head out to one of the domes, where you can see the ball flight, to confirm that the ball is going OK.

We all should know by now that the short game is the key to good scoring and it is wise to hit many chips and pitches, correctly, to maximize the chances of getting up and down. This is best accomplished by indoor practice.

An $287 investment(Sensplex) in indoor practice, is a small price to pay for the satisfaction that comes from playing better.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    .... I'm a firm believer that if you can't see your ball flight it's not worth it to work on your game. ...

Just stick to some early season range time, the swing will come back sooner than later. And if you want to do anything, do what the likes of BCMIST and others do: work on your fitness, flexability and strength so you'll be in tip top shape come spring.
    That was one of my concern with OAC being that you hit your ball in a net and can't see the ball flight. Anyone have a positive experience with OAC?

As for the fitness and flexibility, I'm not too worried about that since I play hockey, soccer, run, do weight training and and I'm naturally flexible so I think I have that aspect is covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3 View Post
    This year I am thinking about T-to-green membership.

Like you, I'd like to "lock in my swing" so that I don't forget everything by the time spring comes around. I'm assuming T-to-Green is the same concept as the OAC program? The only inconvenient is that I live in the east end so that one is a bit far for me.

As for the simulators, I've never tried them. There is one at Outaouais, maybe I'll check that out.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GolferChick View Post
    As for the fitness and flexibility, I'm not too worried about that since I play hockey, soccer, run, do weight training and and I'm naturally flexible so I think I have that aspect is covered.
    How do you ever find time for work?

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    As is indicated above, if you know what you need to do, then it can be developed into a subconscious habit ("locked in") by winter, indoor practice.

If one practices during the winter there is a high probability that you will get better. If you don't; you won't. One problem with indoor practice is that one can occasionally, perfect a fault, as LB had happen to her, if you cannot see where the ball is going. My solution is to hit balls at the Sensplex 3 or 4 times a week and once every two weeks head out to one of the domes, where you can see the ball flight, to confirm that the ball is going OK.

We all should know by now that the short game is the key to good scoring and it is wise to hit many chips and pitches, correctly, to maximize the chances of getting up and down. This is best accomplished by indoor practice.

An $287 investment(Sensplex) in indoor practice, is a small price to pay for the satisfaction that comes from playing better.
    I had this problem of "ingraining" faults a few years ago, but I am hoping I was just too new to golf AND I didn't have a plan or vision.
    Back at it.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    That was one of my concern with OAC being that you hit your ball in a net and can't see the ball flight. Anyone have a positive experience with OAC?
    As with anything you get out what you put in. I have been at the OAC for several years and have witnessed a lot of wasted practice time. If you listen to what you are being told, practice the drills, yes the drills, not the full swing, the drills, chances are you will get better.

I see more people wasting 10-20 minutes of a Pro's time, where they will diagnose one of the main flaws in the person's swing, give them some drills, watch them to ensure they are doing it right, implore the person to take 2 practice swings between each ball, stress the importance of doing the drills to ingrain the right mechanics, and then 5 minutes after the pro has moved on, they are whacking balls again, with the same crappy swing they had when they came in, never learning a thing. Then they wonder why they don't get better.

After my first year at the OAC I went from a 20+ hcp to a solid 13. Not much change the next year, but after 3 years was down to single digit. Lowest last year was about 4.2 (we won't talk about this year ).

I'll probably go back because it keeps me out of trouble in the winter, and ultimately is cheaper than banging balls at the sims once a week. Like BC, I try to hit a dome every 3-4 weeks (hard with the short hours they keep for us working stiffs) to see the ball flight. I also make sure to do lots of video at the OAC to make sure I'm working on the right things.

As with all things in life, your mileage may vary. Maybe we'll see you round the OAC this winter.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    I was a member at the OAC golf school two years ago. I also took advantage of using the fitness facilities for the winter at a discount which was great.
    As you have mentioned along with others, the big problem is only 15 yards of ball flight to the nets. The other problem is that with the various instructors roaming around it is tempting to ask whoever is standing there for help. Next thing you know over a week you may have five different instructors telling you five different things.............I made that mistake when I first started and then settled on one instructor. However, it took three weeks to correct my swing which had become so screwed up from multiple advice.........Also, I thought my swing was great come spring, until I went to the outdoor range for the first time and saw a terrible slice which I had developed over the winter. Reason was I could not see my ball flight.

So last year I went to the SuperDome on Bearbrook Rd. (near Blackburn Hamlet). I would suggest you go there as you live in the Eastend. Only problem is its only open from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm. for golf the rest of the time is soccer and other sports, so you will have to find a time to go during the weekday.
    The Dome will give you 75 yards of ball flight and closer to 90 yards if you hit from the corners. You can certainly see whether you are hitting the ball straight. Also, various small tee markers which allows you to work on chipping.
    I used it a couple of times a week last year and highly recommend it.
    You can either pay $11.00 per half hour (actually give you closer to 40 minutes, as you are given time to warmup and take your coat off) or buy a membership
    see info http://www.superdome.ca/detail.php?id=16

This year the same group TMSI has a new Dome in the Westend at Hunt Club & Greenbank (Ben Franklin Park). http://www.benfranklinpark.ca/detail.php?id=16
    Similiar setup as Bearbrook.

There are CPGA instructors who have working relationships with the Dome and give lessons there. Last year Warren Grant and John Olson were giving lessons at Bearbrook. From speaking with Warren last year, I understand he will be working out of the new Westend Dome this winter.
    Heard that Roger Beale (Marshes) and another fellow(can not recall name??) will be giving lessons out of the Bearbrook Dome this Winter.

Hope this helps............
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Are the lessons included in the membership fees at the SuperDome on Bearbrook?

Are the lessons included in the membership fees at the SuperDome on Bearbrook?
    No the lessons are separate. My suggestion for your first year is to pay by the half hour. Unless you have alot of free time between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm, then you may find it hard to get there more than twice a week. If you hit 30-40 minutes of balls (which is plenty) at $11.00 per visit, and twice a week, for Dec - March. (total of 32 visits) Then you would be paying approximately $352.00. If you bought a Superdome membership you would be paying $349.00.

At the O.A.C. you would be paying $565.00 as a non-member for the Golf School.
    Yes, you will receive instruction as there are always two or three instructors roaming around to help you out for 5-10 minutes. There is also the advantage of them video taping you a number of times throughout the winter.

In summary, if you join the SuperDome over the OAC, you would have approximatley $215.00 left to purchase some lessons and actually see your ball flight. I know Warren was giving some group lessons last year, so this years instructors might also offer the same which would save you some money. Or they might give you a good rate on individual if you take a number of lessons.

Good luck !!
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I just looked at the Sensplex info and it looks pretty sweet.

Given that it's only 5 minutes from my office I can probably get in a decent amount of lunch time hitting.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Pigette of the Year 09, 10, 11 IRON MAIDEN is on a distinguished road IRON MAIDEN's Avatar
    Hi ! Just saw you play soccer...me too. Where do you play?

I play Colliseum Mondays ( Rovers ), Futsal womens Div 1 and Coed Div 1 , and some pick up with friends too.

I have a lot of soccer mates that play hockey too....

I M

Like you, I'd like to "lock in my swing" so that I don't forget everything by the time spring comes around. I'm assuming T-to-Green is the same concept as the OAC program? The only inconvenient is that I live in the east end so that one is a bit far for me.

As for the simulators, I've never tried them. There is one at Outaouais, maybe I'll check that out.
    It's a matter of golf or death

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    No the lessons are separate. My suggestion for your first year is to pay by the half hour. Unless you have alot of free time between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm, then you may find it hard to get there more than twice a week. If you hit 30-40 minutes of balls (which is plenty) at $11.00 per visit, and twice a week, for Dec - March. (total of 32 visits) Then you would be paying approximately $352.00. If you bought a Superdome membership you would be paying $349.00.

At the O.A.C. you would be paying $565.00 as a non-member for the Golf School.
    Yes, you will receive instruction as there are always two or three instructors roaming around to help you out for 5-10 minutes. There is also the advantage of them video taping you a number of times throughout the winter.

In summary, if you join the SuperDome over the OAC, you would have approximatley $215.00 left to purchase some lessons and actually see your ball flight. I know Warren was giving some group lessons last year, so this years instructors might also offer the same which would save you some money. Or they might give you a good rate on individual if you take a number of lessons.

Good luck !!
    Thanks everyone for the info. I think the SuperDome is what I will do because at least I'll get to see the ball flight, can take lessons and it's close to work.

Quote Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN View Post
    Hi ! Just saw you play soccer...me too. Where do you play?

I play Colliseum Mondays ( Rovers ), Futsal womens Div 1 and Coed Div 1 , and some pick up with friends too.

I have a lot of soccer mates that play hockey too....

I M
    Hi I M!

We have a woman's league in Rockland and we play twice a week. It's a really fun league, good caliber and the year end banquet is the highlight for everyone!!!

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    I go to the BearBrook Dome once a week to hit balls - you can see enough of the flight to see what it is doing. I will split my time hitting long irons (short irons simply go into the roof too soon) and hitting half wedges to the various targets. I practice putting in my basement. I bought 20ft of the rubber backed mats typically used in building entrance ways in the winter. This helped my putting a fair bit when combined with some practice aids.

Then there is conditioning. I really need to work on my flexibility and core strength this year. My back started to act up (never had problems before) and it is mainly due to getting soft.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Hi I M!

We have a woman's league in Rockland and we play twice a week. It's a really fun league, good caliber and the year end banquet is the highlight for everyone!!!
    please tell me there is not another GolferChick in this world!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I was an OAC golf school member for two years back when Marc was golf director. I started off as a 13 hdcp and dropped to a 7-8 hdcp in one winter session. I did start the season with a bad slice that year but it was easily corrected by Marc on the range without starting all over and discarding what I have learned. When you go to indoor schools you should work on technique and drills and forget about ball flight. It’s like when you are working on a drill, what matters more; the feel of the drill or where the ball goes?

Lots of huge flaws where corrected because of that winter school. I recommend it.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I was an OAC golf school member for two years back when Marc was golf director. I started off as a 13 hdcp and dropped to a 7-8 hdcp in one winter session. I did start the season with a bad slice that year but it was easily corrected by Marc on the range without starting all over and discarding what I have learned. When you go to indoor schools you should work on technique and drills and forget about ball flight. It’s like when you are working on a drill, what matters more; the feel of the drill or where the ball goes?

Lots of huge flaws where corrected because of that winter school. I recommend it.

Mike
    You make some valid points there. Maybe I should look at doing a combo... join OAC and work on technique with the help of the pros and do some spot check once or twice a month on ball flight at the SuperDome.

Just noticed that OAC is having an open house this Saturday from 10am to 2pm. I'll go check it out.

You make some valid points there. Maybe I should look at doing a combo... join OAC and work on technique with the help of the pros and do some spot check once or twice a month on ball flight at the SuperDome.
    Sounds like a good plan !! Hint though......Pick one instructor who you think works for you and stick with that person !!! That was my mistake when I first went to the OAC. As previously mentioned when I first started at the OAC, I had five different instructors showing me five different ways to swing and about 10 different drills........My swing became so screwed up !!! This was evident when they compared my video tape when I first arrived and after the first few weeks. My swing had become a disaster from all the advice I was trying to take in.
    I then stuck with one instructor, and he got me back to my original swing and then worked slowly at improving a few things............
    And do make sure you visit the SuperDome. BC Mist is one of the top golfers on this forum and he mentioned hitting balls a few times a week at the shorter Sensplex and visiting one of the Domes every two weeks to make sure everything is going right regarding the ball flight.

Have a great winter !!!

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    I agree with PEI on the choice of instructor. I almost always use one instructor during the winter. I may ask a different one to take a video or have a quick look at what I am doing just to ensure that I am doing what my main coach has directed me to be doing, not for further instruction.

Talk to all of them and find one you like and can understand and you will get the best results. PM me if you want a more detailed description of the pros and their teaching methods/personalities.

Hope to see you there.

GarthM

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I also agree with PEI. Stick to one instructor only and if by any chance you ask information to another Pro make sure you tell him or her what you are working on and who you usually work with. Also, check the Pros schedule so that you can attend the school during his or her working hours.

Make sure your instructor is available during the summer and is in your proximity. It’s always a good thing to go back to that same instructor during the summer. He knows your swing and knows what you usually work on. That’s a big bonus. I recommend once a month or so during the summer especially if you really want to play better golf.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I fully agre with the view to work on drills over the winter that will improve your game. It is what will improve your game and having a teacher look at your swing will be the icing on the cake. I changed my entire swing 2 winters ago and the DOme was where I took the lessons. Lessons and practicing the correctly performed drills will be invaluable.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information