CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Red Sox - Strategy and Tactics

I couldn't be happier with the Sox. Coming from behind the way they did makes this life-long fan smile enthusiastically. However, am I the only one who thinks that the manager is not on top of his game? Last night, for example, the Sox had runners on first and third with one out. They had a three run lead. The Cleveland catcher has only nailed 28% of those who've tried to steal second. More than that, the Boston runner on first was one of their fastest guys. Notwithstanding all of that, the manager didn't send him until there were two strikes on the batter. Unfortunately, when he then broke for second, the second baseman ran to cover second, which put him in an ideal position to catch the hot grounder that was hit out there - easy double play.

The Red Sox have historically been leaden footed, but surely good strategy would have dictated sending the runner as soon as possible. A successful steal, which was highly likely, would have eliminated the double play and increased the chances of picking up at least one more run. When you have the other team down, you have to keep the pressure on them. Don't ease up. Run them into the ground. It seemed to me that manager was playing this much too conservatively.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    The only possible explanation for NOT sending the runner would be that he was concerned about running himself out of a big inning. The Soxs are built as a 'thrre run home run' team and not a 'small ball' steal a base, hit and run team. I guess you have to go with what got you there.........but your point is well made, the Indians would have swiped that base for sure

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Question? Not being a baseball fan, coming back from any 3 - 1 defecit is quite a feat. Did the Bosox play that well or did the Indians fold?

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    The Red Sox overwhelmed them with power, and the Cleveland pitchers (as well as their two best hitters) did not perform well at all. The Sox can smash that cowhide like no one else. The Sox pitching is still suspect (save for Beckett), but those bats will save you most times. This team has the talent and self-confidence to win the World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Question? Not being a baseball fan, coming back from any 3 - 1 defecit is quite a feat. Did the Bosox play that well or did the Indians fold?
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    The Red Sox overwhelmed them with power, and the Cleveland pitchers (as well as their two best hitters) did not perform well at all. The Sox can smash that cowhide like no one else. The Sox pitching is still suspect (save for Beckett), but those bats will save you most times. This team has the talent and self-confidence to win the World Series.
    thanks Michael

The Sox have the best 3-4-5 hitters in the game IMO and Beckett is just a plain monster!!

Look for him to win 3 starts if the World Series goes to 7 games

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Yes, Boston is build for 3 run homers. They don't steal many bases.

If the runner go, the batter is suppose to hit where the player covering the base is standing. In this case he hit the ball too much up centre.

As for Beckett pitching 3 games I don't think we will see it. They didn't do it in the ALCS and we will not see it in the World Series. Maybe a small relief appearance (game 7) but I would be surprise if Beckett starts 3 games.

They will probably go with:

Beckett, Scilling, Dice K, Wakefield, Beckett, Scilling and Dice K (game 7) with Beckett in relief if needed.

Golf Pig of the Year 07,08 rpangman is on a distinguished road rpangman's Avatar
    I think you will see Beckett in 3 games, if necessary. Why not, he's got all winter to rest up.

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Knuckleballer Tim Wakefield is being left off Boston's roster for the World Series because of a bad shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by foxman View Post
    Knuckleballer Tim Wakefield is being left off Boston's roster for the World Series because of a bad shoulder.
    I'd say that pretty much ensures that Beckett goes 3 times

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I'd say that pretty much ensures that Beckett goes 3 times
    I would be surprised if he did not!

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Dependig how the series goes but...

" Terry Francona did not yet name a Game 4 starter, though Jon Lester threw four simulated innings this afternoon, likely in anticipation of making that start in Colorado. "

I am not really surprise but all we can do is wait and see.

Previously Francona had annouced that Wakefield was going to start game 2 and 6. He had Beckett for game 1 and 5, Schilling for 3 and 7 and Dice K for game 4.

Now with Wakefield out he will go: Beckett, Schilling and Dice K... and not official yet on the game 4 starter.

The Rockies announce that Aaron Cooke will start game 4...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Sorry Mike, GO ROCKIES!!

I'm pulling for guys like Jeff Francis , and Todd Helton this time around.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    Biggest disappointment of the world series is the fact that Wakefield won't be playing.

Fallys
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Thread Information