100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Here is what I think. Had this been VAN, NJ or CAL we know that when the #1 came back he would get his spot back. Neither of those guys could ever lose their starting spot to a back up. You could put any idiot in nets for the sens and he would get 35 wins. (Lalime 67 starts, 39wins).

If in anyones mind Emery was that great a goalie this wouldn't even be an issue. He got hot when gerber was cold and took over the starting job. I say gerber should get a chance to take the spot back. They both earn the same $$$ so there is no issue with leaving a 7mil goalie on the bench that some coaches would catch heat for. Emery could very well be the future of this team but he should have to earn the spot. He took it ones, let him try to take it again.

That being said, that being said... two goalies fighting for #1 is not a bad thing if they both play well and esp if you are trying to move one of them

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    I know that I'm getting in a battles with people that need no help in boosting their post count!

The psychology of sport is what's being argued here really. I honestly think that Gerber is the better of the two. When someone isn't dropping infront of Emery to block a shot or whatever, he doesn't seem that sharp. I don't see people drop infront of Gerber nearly as much as they do with Emery.

I know, I'm stressing the same thing over and over, but it's a perception I have between the two. It's like the team is comfortable with Gerber's ability to stop the puck regardless, and they are comfortable with helping Emery stopping them by blocking shots.

I'd keep them both. As I said above, you really don't need to add much in the way of skill on the team. Defence, save Mezaros , is pretty solid.

As for last night. I'm not putting that on Gerber, I think they might be wearing down just a little because they have a pretty intensive schedule for the first 2 weeks. I still thought he played alright last night, some of those shots were fantastic, and some the D just collapsed around him, making it tough for anyone, regardless of name.

Keep them both!

Fally
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post
    I know that I'm getting in a battles with people that need no help in boosting their post count!

The psychology of sport is what's being argued here really. I honestly think that Gerber is the better of the two. When someone isn't dropping infront of Emery to block a shot or whatever, he doesn't seem that sharp. I don't see people drop infront of Gerber nearly as much as they do with Emery.

I know, I'm stressing the same thing over and over, but it's a perception I have between the two. It's like the team is comfortable with Gerber's ability to stop the puck regardless, and they are comfortable with helping Emery stopping them by blocking shots.

I'd keep them both. As I said above, you really don't need to add much in the way of skill on the team. Defence, save Mezaros , is pretty solid.

As for last night. I'm not putting that on Gerber, I think they might be wearing down just a little because they have a pretty intensive schedule for the first 2 weeks. I still thought he played alright last night, some of those shots were fantastic, and some the D just collapsed around him, making it tough for anyone, regardless of name.

Keep them both!

Fally

This is the exact same thing I said years ago when the Sens had Lalime and Prusek for netminders. The team played more relaxed and confident with Prusek between the pipes, like they knew they didn't have to worry about the soft one being let in.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    never pull the hot hand, ever. What they do further down the road is still up in the air. For now, they have to ride their current success.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Funny how everyone was saying Gerber was useless and they should dump him. Now he's playing well like he did at the end of last season and people think he has the job over Emery. I'm not disputing it, because I think Emery is overrated, but I also think Gerber is underrated.
    Could not agree more.

Did anyone listen to the Team 1200 late this afternoon. Kevin Haime was covering for one of the regulars and they were discussing this topic. Kevin personally likes Emery's "swagger" and flair. However, he did ask the question whether the Sens Mangement would rather have a $3.5 million dollar goalie (referring to Gerber) that is low key but very involved in the community like Alfie, Fisher and Philips or a $3.0 million plus goalie that is known for his off-ice incidents and swagger (referring to Emery).

Before the usual people on this forum "jump at me" saying "Who cares about a person's "off ice activities".......I am ONLY commenting on what Kevin Haime brought up regarding what Sens Managment would want........................
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

All things on ice being equal, they will obviously prefer a low key guy. BUT, that assumes things are equal on the ice. What they really want is the best performer, regardless of his off ice demeanor.

And you can't just say "before you jump all over me, its somebody else saying this." Obviously you posted it because you agree with what he is saying, so don't just pass the buck. You agree, with him, and that's fine. But don't pretend that you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    And you can't just say "before you jump all over me, its somebody else saying this." Obviously you posted it because you agree with what he is saying, so don't just pass the buck. You agree, with him, and that's fine. But don't pretend that you don't.
    Agree with what Kevin Haime is saying.........??? Kevin said personally he likes Emery's "swagger" and "flair".
    Are you saying I agree with him on that................

Read what I posted again "very slowly".........
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

well, Kevin's question was clearly rhetorical, as any team's management would prefer a player who is low key. It was, therefore, more of a statement about Emery's off ice activities. Ands we all know how you feel about that. So yes, I did read it carefully the first time round, and stand by what I said the first time around.

well, Kevin's question was clearly rhetorical, as any team's management would prefer a player who is low key. It was, therefore, more of a statement about Emery's off ice activities. Ands we all know how you feel about that. So yes, I did read it carefully the first time round, and stand by what I said the first time around.
    Why would Kevin be bringing that topic up if its such a "non-issue"...........??

Perhaps there is a reason.........???

Jonf, I am sure you are much more aware of "local community happenings" in Victoria......................Perhaps a few or more of us are aware of "local happenings" in Ottawa.....................

What does this have to do with awareness of local community happenings? Unless you have the inside scoop on Brian Murray's imminent trade of Emery, then the answer is: nothing. I know Emery was Ottawa's starter last season. I know that he has done nothing to jeopardize that position. I know that, until he falters on the ice, the rest is a non-issue. I just wish you'd actually say what you were thinking rather than hiding behind your ..................................s

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road
    he has faltered on the ice....remember last year in the finals when he couldn't stop a beachball other then when his team scored 5 goals? the guy gets beat over his glove more then gerber gets beat period! if someone wants him and thinks hes "that" good...give them him! hes overrated and gerber will show his colours this year and take the spot!

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    On ice abilities and results being equal........Emery is an accident waiting to happen IMO. Good young goalie but he has a lot of growing up to do and he has a lot to learn about being a "Pro".

He is a good goalie though.

This is a good "problem" to have however - we could be like the Leafs..........both guys make big bucks and neither can make a save

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    On ice abilities and results being equal........Emery is an accident waiting to happen IMO. Good young goalie but he has a lot of growing up to do and he has a lot to learn about being a "Pro".

You mentioned an "accident waiting to happen" in your opinion.

I think he is an "accident waiting to happen" in many peoples opinion.

We can only hope that he will be traded before the "accident happens".........

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post

He is a good goalie though.

This is a good "problem" to have however - we could be like the Leafs..........both guys make big bucks and neither can make a save
    I couldn't agree more.

I couldn't agree more.
    Glad we both finally agreed on something (Hacker's Post)............

Thread Information