+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

Gerber or Emery?

Who do you think they should start when Emery is healthy?

IMO they should play gerber, let everyone see what a solid #1 he is and then trade him for some draft pics to dump salary

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I think it is Gerbers job as long as he is playing well....
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    look who's starting tonight

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    we know, gerber needs a rest, played all pre season and 4 games to start the season. Well deserved break``

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Sens have the Canes at home tomorrow and are then at NYR on Saturday - Gerber had to get a break and tonight is as good a night as any.............wishing that TO had a Gerber??

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Sens have the Canes at home tomorrow and are then at NYR on Saturday - Gerber had to get a break and tonight is as good a night as any.............wishing that TO had a Gerber??
    they do. they have last years model.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    they do. they have last years model.
    ROFL!!

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Funny how everyone was saying Gerber was useless and they should dump him. Now he's playing well like he did at the end of last season and people think he has the job over Emery. I'm not disputing it, because I think Emery is overrated, but I also think Gerber is underrated.

he was useless last year and they should have dumped him. That being said, I agree and predicted that he would bounce back this year.

he was useless last year and they should have dumped him. That being said, I agree and predicted that he would bounce back this year.
    He was not useless when he played late in the year when the team in front of him wasn't playing like idiots. He was on a new team with no support when he played early in the season. You can't expect a goalie to come into a new organization that's playing horrible, to carry the team and be completely comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    You can't expect a goalie to come into a new organization that's playing horrible, to carry the team and be completely comfortable.
    Isn't that exactly what the Leafs are expecting of Vesa Toskila?

............But I do agree 100% with what you are saying

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    How did the new lad play? Missed the game but I know we won.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post

I didn't see the game but from listening to the Team 1200 this morning he looked very solid.. Pierre McGuire said he is the real deal.. so thats positive.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    I didn't watch the game, but from the replays I saw on SportsCentre, he looked pretty solid. He looks very quick laterally.

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    EG, it's called the Sens band wagon. It's usually at this time of the year that people start hopping on and riding until the first sign of adversity and then they jump off!

Gerber looks great behind of a great team and looks bad behind a bad team. He's an esteem goalie. Look what happened in the playoffs for Carolina. Has one bad game, they play the rookie, he's outstanding and Gerber wins a ring from the bench.

Comes into Ottawa the year after, Ottawa poops the bed and he looks like hell (probably still from the Canes year) and Emery plays, well at that, and gets the starter role for virtually the rest of the year.

I personally think he's a hell of a goalie, and worse things could happen than keeping both of them. What do you need to spend money on right now? Other than the suggestion of getting some good, solid draft picks, there really isn't much that is needed on the Sens for them to keep succeeding. Unless you're still looking for Forsberg lol.

Fallys
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    IMO....both should be played equally. Let the true #1 show. Gerber lost it last year, Emery earned it last year. Not fair to Emery that when he comes back he rides the bench because Gerber is playing well. If Emery comes back and cant get it done then Gerber is #1. Let them battle it out and go from there.

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    But with a momentum and esteem goalie like Gerber, why not ride him while he's hot? To put Emery in "just because" doesn't make much sense either. What if he's shakey during his stay down in Binghampton? Will they keep a $3 mil goalie down there? Probably not, but on the other hand, if he's bad in the AHL, I wouldn't give him his first start back.

I think Gerber deserves to play while he's playing well. They let a $3 mil goalie ride the pine last year while Emery was playing well (or Volchenkov was blocking 90% of his shots lol).

Either way, it's not Lalime!

Fally
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post
    I think Gerber deserves to play while he's playing well. They let a $3 mil goalie ride the pine last year while Emery was playing well (or Volchenkov was blocking 90% of his shots lol). Fally
    I agree with my buddy the Leafs' fan.... they both make bags of money to do the job so let the one that is doing the best job, do it! If one faulters, then throw the other one in.... I am sick of these muti-million dollar 'entertainers' getting paid gobs money to entertain us blue colar schmucks and put on a bad show. Give'em the hook real fast
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Emery should sit until Gerber has a 'mare or needs a rest. If we want solid goaltending all year they need to send a message to the 2 of them that they play on merit. The last thing this organization needs is one goalie playing well below his best and the hotter of the two goalies sitting on the bench, building up the resentment.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post
    EG, it's called the Sens band wagon. It's usually at this time of the year that people start hopping on and riding until the first sign of adversity and then they jump off!

Gerber looks great behind of a great team and looks bad behind a bad team. He's an esteem goalie. Look what happened in the playoffs for Carolina. Has one bad game, they play the rookie, he's outstanding and Gerber wins a ring from the bench.

Comes into Ottawa the year after, Ottawa poops the bed and he looks like hell (probably still from the Canes year) and Emery plays, well at that, and gets the starter role for virtually the rest of the year.

I personally think he's a hell of a goalie, and worse things could happen than keeping both of them. What do you need to spend money on right now? Other than the suggestion of getting some good, solid draft picks, there really isn't much that is needed on the Sens for them to keep succeeding. Unless you're still looking for Forsberg lol.

Fallys
    aka Scott

Gerber might be an esteem goalie, but during the Canes' playoff run where they won the cup it was not his esteem that caused him to play well and be benched. If I remember correctly he got really ill (what it was, I can't remember) but he was losing pounds of weight a day. He didn't have the strength and energy to play.

But luckily for Carolina, Ward stepped in and played well.

But as for who should play once Emery is healthy????

I'm of the belief that you can't lose your position to injury. So regardless of how well Gerber may be playing, if Emery is the #1, once he's healthy he gets his starting job back. But he's on a short leash, he falters early, Gerber goes right back in.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Gerber also played amazing during the season for the Canes that year. I had him in my pool. I disagree on the losing your job to injury - unless you have a blue chip goalie like Brodeur. You have to go with the hot guy.

Gerber also played amazing during the season for the Canes that year. I had him in my pool. I disagree on the losing your job to injury - unless you have a blue chip goalie like Brodeur. You have to go with the hot guy.

Going with the hot guy is never a bad decision, but if you've shown to your team that someone is your go to guy, it's only fair you give him a shot to keep his spot. It's not fair to take away his position based on something out of his control. But if it doesn't work out early on, he gets the yank and you go back to the hot guy. That's what you do if you don't have a blue chipper, but if you do have a blue chipper, you ride that train until it gets back on track. Only because you know they eventually will right the ship.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Going with the hot guy is never a bad decision, but if you've shown to your team that someone is your go to guy, it's only fair you give him a shot to keep his spot. It's not fair to take away his position based on something out of his control. But if it doesn't work out early on, he gets the yank and you go back to the hot guy. That's what you do if you don't have a blue chipper, but if you do have a blue chipper, you ride that train until it gets back on track. Only because you know they eventually will right the ship.
    I hear what you are saying but in this case, if they bring Emery back and start him for the next few games then your hot goalie is going to have his frail ego deflated and then you might end up with 2 of them not playing well... I do not see either of them as 'blue chip' players so my take is go with the hot hand.....

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I hear what you are saying but in this case, if they bring Emery back and start him for the next few games then your hot goalie is going to have his frail ego deflated and then you might end up with 2 of them not playing well... I do not see either of them as 'blue chip' players so my take is go with the hot hand.....

I think it was made pretty clear last year that Emery was the number one guy, and Gerber is probably prepared to be the back up once he comes back. So I'm not sure how much it will affect his ego, regardless if either were blue chippers or not. And either being a blue chipper is pretty irrelevant in this case anyways.

The way I look at it, if they sit Emery when he comes back I believe it hurts him more in the confidence department than it does Gerber and his apparent "frail" ego. Being told you were the number guy, and now because you were injured you are now relegatted to back up without getting a chance to prove yourself again, can only hurt the confidence of a young goalie.

I think it was made pretty clear last year that Emery was the number one guy, and Gerber is probably prepared to be the back up once he comes back. So I'm not sure how much it will affect his ego, regardless if either were blue chippers or not. And either being a blue chipper is pretty irrelevant in this case anyways.

The way I look at it, if they sit Emery when he comes back I believe it hurts him more in the confidence department than it does Gerber and his apparent "frail" ego. Being told you were the number guy, and now because you were injured you are now relegatted to back up without getting a chance to prove yourself again, can only hurt the confidence of a young goalie.
    Then we agree to respectfully disagree

For sure!!!

For sure!!!
    BUT just to make myself clear I think both Emery and Gerber are good netminders..... I just believe that at their salaries, whoever is winning games for the Sens should be the one they put in the net! if either of them faulter for a couple of games, sit him on the bench and he will just have to suck it up..... thats all I was saying

BUT just to make myself clear I think both Emery and Gerber are good netminders..... I just believe that at their salaries, whoever is winning games for the Sens should be the one they put in the net! if either of them faulter for a couple of games, sit him on the bench and he will just have to suck it up..... thats all I was saying

I understood what you were trying to say.

Please!! You didn't think that I'd let you use that word in any way, shape or form that applies to you did you Indio??

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Please!! You didn't think that I'd let you use that word in any way, shape or form that applies to you did you Indio??
    Of course you would..... you know you luv me there big boy. But only because I respect you!

Thread Information