100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pitching Wedge kofclubs is on a distinguished road

Frustration with Canadian prices compared to US for golf equip.

Well our dollar is now par but apparently we still have to pay an additional 35% + tax for the same item in Canada as opposed to buying it in the US.

I know that suppliers purchase items well in advance but it should still be considerably closer as our dollar hasn't been that far off in a long time. I can't really complain b/c I purchased my irons, driver, putter and shoes all in the US and probably saved enough money to buy a golf membership for a year, but common $70 difference for the same shoes.

I like to support our local businesses but they have to be reasonable when it comes to pricing, mind you Golf Galaxy and GT are the same company but I just used them as examples.

Examples:

FootJoy DryJoys Golf Shoes WBG Golf Galaxy $129.99 GT $199.99
    Taylormade R7 Superquad Golf Galaxy $399.99 GT $549.99
    Callaway X Forged Men's Iron Set Golf Galaxy $899.99 GT $1149.99

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I can't remember the last time I bought anything at a golf store. My last few purchases have all been on-line, including shoes, shirt, ball marker, various clubs, etc. It just isn't worth it now to do so. I am all for supporting local businesses but refuse to pay retail price for any of this stuff when it can be had online for much less.

Here's a few items
    Nike SP-5 golf shoes. $65 tax and shipping delivered to my door. (normally sell for at least $99+tax = $114)
    Nike Dri fit shirt $34 all in shipped to my door. ($65 + tax at GT)
    TM TP Rescue Dual #2 $195 all in shipped to my door (last winter when these were selling for $369 + tax at GT).
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Weekend Hacker Steelhead is on a distinguished road Steelhead's Avatar
    I know, I just bought a pair of Ecco golf shoes it cost me 120.00$ delivered to my door. The shoes I bought were last years model but I saw the exact same pair in Montreal for 209.99 in the discount section.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

7 Wood Itchy is on a distinguished road Itchy's Avatar
    Its absolutely crazy and in about 3-6 months I think anyone in retail, especially those selling US made goods are going to start to feel the backlash of consumers. Any big ticket item is going to met with someone searching high and low to get it from the US and only then are retailers going to start to take notice. Jeez the car market is already getting it from the media any chance they get and rightly so in my opinion.
    I golf therfore I swear

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    The problem here is---the retailers here in Canada purchased when the dollar was low---exactly the same as you buying stocks on the market---buy low sell high---but unfortunately for us as buyers the retailers can't or wont sell low----the shoes or clubs are only worth what they can get for them----I have absolutly no problem telling them why should I give you more than they are worth-----its like anything---the product is only worth what it can be sold for.

My prediction is that in a few years there will be no difference between the Canadian and US dollar.

Right now we are strong because of our resources etc---lets just hope the gov't dosen't sell us down the river like they did years ago.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=big mac;212132]The problem here is---the retailers here in Canada purchased when the dollar was low---exactly the same as you buying stocks on the market---buy low sell high---but unfortunately for us as buyers the retailers can't or wont sell low----the shoes or clubs are only worth what they can get for them----I have absolutly no problem telling them why should I give you more than they are worth-----its like anything---the product is only worth what it can be sold for.[QUOTE]

I bet you that if the dollar goes low again, then the price will immediately follow although they will have paid their goods at a lower price. Just remember the excuses provided by the Oil Companies. When the price goes up, they immediately raise their prices even though, the price they are paying is for gasoline to be delivered in 6 to 8 weeks from now. The contrary doesn't happen though as there are always millions of reasons not to lower the prices.....

Pitching Wedge kofclubs is on a distinguished road
    I can't wait for the US Thanksgiving sales!! It still shouldn't be cheaper to have something delivered to your front door plus paying duty then it is to go and pick up the exact same item from your local store. I for one will continue to purchase in the US unless stores here agree to start dropping their prices to reflect the Can $ value on the global market. I think the only way to they'll get the message is to lose our business.

^^^^^^I agree, but this time I think the dollar will stay where it is longer and if it drops it may not drop as far as it has in recent years. For the life of me I really can't figure why there is such a big difference in the first place. I thought the value of a countrys money was dependant on it's resourse wealth---as far as I am concerned the only resourse wealth the US has left is it's sunshine earlier in the spring

They are running out of fresh water, their own oil, their own softwood lumber etc etc.

The current downturn in their economy was inevitable---along with a leader that believes that "a war is what the economy needs to progress"

We may not agree with our idiots on the hill but thankgod we live here.

Quote Originally Posted by kofclubs View Post
    I can't wait for the US Thanksgiving sales!! It still shouldn't be cheaper to have something delivered to your front door plus paying duty then it is to go and pick up the exact same item from your local store. I for one will continue to purchase in the US unless stores here agree to start dropping their prices to reflect the Can $ value on the global market. I think the only way to they'll get the message is to lose our business.

And the funny thing is a lot of our retail stores are owned by US Corporations

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Please keep politics out of it, and stick to the issue of the value of the dollar vs retail prices.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    The current downturn in their economy was inevitable---along with a leader that believes that "a war is want the economy needs to prgress"
    We may not agree with our idiots on the hill but thankgod we live here.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 10-10-2007 at 03:00 PM.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

I'm going outside to scream!!!!!

No need to scream. Politics, religion & sexual orientation were outlawed here years ago. They are "flamebait" topics.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    Porsche just dropped the prices on their canadian cars by 8% to reflect the change in the dollar. take note people.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    Porsche just dropped the prices on their canadian cars by 8% to reflect the change in the dollar. take note people.
    only another 80% or so to go and I can afford one.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    I think I'll go buy two now.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

It's a start.

I guess pricing in Canada and the US is not political ---how can this topic be discussed with any integrity without being slightly political?

C'mon big mac. It's not hard to refrain from comments like these.

along with a leader that believes that "a war is want the economy needs to prgress"
    We may not agree with our idiots on the hill

OK agreed; was actually wondering if that was the actual comment that was troubling you--point taken

7 Wood Itchy is on a distinguished road Itchy's Avatar
    While not exactly golf related, but interesting article on shooping in the US for a car.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=307601
    I golf therfore I swear

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Another good example I just realized is Amazon. I was looking for HD DVD's on Amazon.com vs. Amazon.ca and here are some comparisons. I know that both of these ship from Canada, it's been confirmed on other sites so there is no duty/customs to worry about.

Hot Fuzz (HD DVD) - $27.95 - $43.96 - (36.4% Increase)
    Knocked Up (HD DVD) - $27.95 - $43.96 - (36.4% Increase)
    Shooter (HD DVD) - $27.95 - $39.99 - (30.1% Increase)
    The Departed (HD DVD) - $27.95 - $39.19 - (28.7% Increase)
    Matrix: Ultimate Collection (HD DVD) - $72.95 - $101.59 - (28.2% Increase)
    Disturbia (HD DVD) - $27.95 - $39.99 - (30.1% Increase)

Don't judge me by my taste in movies, it's all I know.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    At first glance, I though I was looking at a list of adult movies!
    Andrew

Bogie Kona Golf is on a distinguished road Kona Golf's Avatar
    It Can never be the same. Whether the dollar is at par or not, The product still has to cross the border. If it is brought in legally, duty is charged on finished clubs and all club heads. Freight costs are higher and overall operating costs are higher. On the other hand volumes are lower. The pricing will always be at least 15% higher than the same goods in the us.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    I buy EVERYTHING off of ebay. Its so much cheaper. If its a big ticket item then I just ship it to my addy in CALI and when I visit there I bring it back

Need a Caddy rgk5 is on a distinguished road rgk5's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona Golf View Post
    It Can never be the same. Whether the dollar is at par or not, The product still has to cross the border. If it is brought in legally, duty is charged on finished clubs and all club heads. Freight costs are higher and overall operating costs are higher. On the other hand volumes are lower. The pricing will always be at least 15% higher than the same goods in the us.

Well said and when you consider that the golf market in California is as large as the entire Canadian market, additonal transportation, branch plant expenses, wage, benefit, and other incremental costs will always create at least a moderate price advantage to the U.S. golf retailer.

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    10-15% might be acceptable in some cases but 30%?

Baxter
    The strong dollar is great when buying in the USA. I own a business that was huge into Export into the USA..It's not now. Was speaking with a friend who was telling me the Textile (Carpet etc) business in Montreal is almost gone...I am sure Toronto and Vancouver would be feeling it as well. Large USA Companies leaving because the savings are long gone...You know what that means..Large Companies gone = Less people working = Less Tax Dollars = So Higher Taxes for us workers-
    High Dollar or Low Dollar ----- Either way we still pay....

All that being said...It does feel nice when buying Cameron Putters knowing the price is the price, no extra for exchange.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    I guess pricing in Canada and the US is not political ---how can this topic be discussed with any integrity without being slightly political?

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    In a somehow related article where consumers and way of doing business is changing... (cut the middle man and lower prices)

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/radiohead_make_10_million_from_in_rainbows.html

Thread Information