CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar

Talking 20 strokes from one day to the next!!

How can this happen? I shoot a 79 at Outaouais yesterday and shoot a 99 today... I usually shoot mid 80's.

I know I sucked big time today but it just has me baffled. I was lousy off the tee, and lousy around the greens. No 3 putts though!!

Has this ever happened to you?
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Welcome to the world of amateur golf LOL! Two weeks ago I shot 3 rounds in a row under 80. Last week I shot 88-91. This week, somewhere in the middle

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    It has happend to me a couple of times this year. When it happens its usualy my short game...great one day and the next just cant chip or putt!

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Ouch! I shaved 8 from front 9 to back 9 yesterday at Upper Canada.. good old 41-33.. Gotta love that. Played horrible on the front but fired on all cylinders on the back.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

7 Wood Newbie is on a distinguished road

Oh my Chris...

Has this ever happened to you?[/quote]

I would say ...HAS IT EVER!

Shot 84 a few weeks ago in my rookie golf year and the 101 the very next day at the same course! Man, I thought I was pretty good! Humbling isn't it! I have it boiled down to 90 percent mental and 10 percent ability which causes large variances in scoring from an average expectation. Some days my concentration is peaked and I couldn't hit a bad shot then another day, I am thinking about everything except where my attention should be focused...causing the I SUCK attitude. Can't wait to get back on the course however to get to back to the expectations. I suspect that you will be there as well! Say hi to the better half.

Vic

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    The PGA tour players will average 2 under (70). How many times do you see at least one or more "rattle off" an 83 or 85.............
    These guys make a living playing golf on the best tour, so I do not think any of us "hobby golfers" should get too stressed when shooting an occassional 15 + strokes above our average.............
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Yep! I believe Mattchew and I were discussing this on the way home from an "anti- solid" round yesterday. This year I have become very good at following a round in the 70's with a round in the 90's. For me, it is usually off the tee where I have trouble with my bad rounds, and I also will top 3-4 a round when I have those rounds, as well.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    yep...earlier this summer I shot 92 or 93 followed by a 74 the following day. yesterday at Loch March, a solid 99. I was either par or triple. there was not much in between. I actually felt like I hit the ball pretty good for the most part which sounds a bit odd.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris St. Michael View Post
    How can this happen? I shoot a 79 at Outaouais yesterday and shoot a 99 today... I usually shoot mid 80's.

I know I sucked big time today but it just has me baffled. I was lousy off the tee, and lousy around the greens. No 3 putts though!!

Nope, all I can think of is you really suck I guess you played one to many games with me this year
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    I was just going to mention this, shot two rounds in the 90's this weekend, and today my best round of the year at 79.

Those diamonds in the rough is why we love this game!!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I've been saying this ever since I started to play "this is not an easy game!" but we all keep trying Have I ever been there? I live there!
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I can not recall having scores that far apart. Maybe 5-9 strokes difference, but not 20.

As someone said, that is amateur golf. You must have been doing something wrong though

My problem sometimes is this. I have a great front 9 and a so so back 9. Happened to me again this past Sunday. -1 on the front 9, 8 pars birdie on 9. Birdied 10 to go to -2 and from 11 on I was 5 over. 3 boogies, two which came from 3 putts and a double. I just can't seem to finish.

I would tend to say if someone is shooting scores with that much difference that you had to be doing something wrong. No 3 putts means you were rolling the ball well on the greens. Perhaps your short game around the greens was off. Doesn't take much to blow a score up.

Double boogies kill your score fast. If you can eliminate those you are heading in the right direction to lower scores. That and good putting. You can miss hit a drive and still make par. You miss a par putt and make boogie, it is hard to make that up.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Nope, all I can think of is you really suck I guess you played one to many games with me this year

Thanks for the out pouring of sympathy Indio, you indiot!

However I have to agree, I really sucked. Although I had some good holes I just had too many blowups. 3 off the tee, hitting water hazards... hmmm I can partially blame it on the clubs as I wasn't used to them. .. and the ground was soggy...and.. and
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Chris--did you ever think that maybe it was because it was a beautiful day ?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

2 Iron Gulfer is on a distinguished road Gulfer's Avatar
    I'd like to say, "what are you guys talking about - I shoot par most rounds and a balloon round is 78." In actuality I had the 20 stroke difference (still talking golf here)experience in August this summer with a 76 at Predator then a 95 at Talon. Different courses I know but that's a lot of strokes. For me if I'm any combination of tired, hungover or just have other things on the mind, scores can balloon pretty fast. The realities of life take their toll on the course too.
    Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful woman - and you can keep the golf clubs and fresh air. - Jack Benny

Thanks for the out pouring of sympathy Indio, you indiot!
    s-y-m-p-a-t-h-y.... Huh??? Boy are you in the wrong place if your looking for that!

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Chris: Take alook at my posts. It's the story of my life.

I shot over 100, like seriously close to 120 if I had kept my card the time before I shot my all time low of 83... Then back to sucking.

I shot 2 over on a 9 on Monday (poplar grove par 3) ya ya it's all 120 ayrd shots but hey! Only to go out another day and...

It even happened tome when I played almost everyday last year!

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Earlier this year I was in Palm Springs. One day I shot 89 (or maybe 90) in my morning round... and 73 that same afternoon. Of course, I had a hole-in-one in the afternoon round which helped!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    The higher the golfer's handicap, the higher the scoring range is going to be from good days to poor days.

The tighter the golf course, the higher the scoring range is going to be as the margin for error is much smaller.

The longer you hit the ball, the higher the scoring range is going to be, as you will likely be punished more for tee shots off line.

The straighter you hit the ball, the SMALLER your range is going to be. For a smaller range the solution is simple: Shorter, straighter hitters, vary much less from day to day.

BigFlopper

Did you count all the holes the first day ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigFlopper View Post
    Did you count all the holes the first day ...
    You know me Frank. .. actually had an accountant do the score keeping my adjusted score was 10 strokes less.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I remember playing with Johnston last fall at Greensmere and shooting 50 on the front and 36 on the back. Ridiculous.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    At the Forum Fun day at EC I fired up something in the area of an 89, the round after that was last friday at Dragonfly where I proceeded to shoot my first under-par round of the year with 70 (including a 4 putt).

I know its not apples to apples, but not much in the way of consistency either.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    At the Forum Fun day at EC I fired up something in the area of an 89, the round after that was last friday at Dragonfly where I proceeded to shoot my first under-par round of the year with 70 (including a 4 putt).

I know its not apples to apples, but not much in the way of consistency either.
    I think everyone played higher than they normally would have on the fun day, don't forget, we had 25 to 30 km winds that day with up to 60km gusts!

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar

Dear Chris,

Blame it all on a sore wrist.

Sincerely Yours,

Michelle Wie
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Thread Information