100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Sorenstam turns down offer

Annika Sorenstam turned down her invitation Friday to the Samsung World Championship, not wanting to cause hardship with any players who felt she might be taking their spot in the 20-player field.

More...

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Good for Annika. At least she was smart enough to realize others earned their way in. Unlike Wie, who was once again giving an exemption which kicked Natalie Gulbis out of the event. Natalie won an event, Wie never sniffed a win this year. Sometimes exemptions suck and IMO this is one of those times.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Good for Annika. At least she was smart enough to realize others earned their way in. Unlike Wie, who was once again giving an exemption which kicked Natalie Gulbis out of the event. Natalie won an event, Wie never sniffed a win this year. Sometimes exemptions suck and IMO this is one of those times.
    I do agree that at times exemptions do suck, especially when it comes at the cost of someone who has been more deserving in the more recent past..........kinda like the Weir / Ames issue at this year's Prez cup

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    She is a classy women and does not need to prove anything.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    That's weird of the organizers. Never mind the fact that Gulbis deserves to be there over Wie, you'd think at this point Gulbis is a much better draw for attendance and attention than Wie. I'm surprised Wie would get any special exemptions anywhere at this point, except maybe really low level tournaments that need all the help they can get.

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    But for picking 1 Canadian at the President's Cup held in Canada is driven by marketing. How many more people bought souvenirs, tickets, watched at home because Weir was included? He probably doubled or tripled the revenue and exposure that this event had by being there. It didn't hurt that he also kicked ass and was the high point getter for the in'ts.

Now, Annika attracts way more attention than Wie. Michelle has had trouble breaking 80 these days. Probably doesn't move many Nike clubs, unless the average golfer is thinking "well, if Michelle can't break 80 regularly with Nike clubs, then maybe I should be using Nike clubs too." But Annika's actions underline why she is a class act in golf, and why Michelle is totally overexposed, and not at the greatest time in her career.

(Long-winded I know, but I had to cancel my round this morning and have 4 hours free that I wasn't planning on having...)

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    she is a class act. She is fortunate enough to have made millions and doesn't want to get in the way of someone making a name for themselves or earning a dollar. Good for her

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    That's weird of the organizers. Never mind the fact that Gulbis deserves to be there over Wie, you'd think at this point Gulbis is a much better draw for attendance and attention than Wie. I'm surprised Wie would get any special exemptions anywhere at this point, except maybe really low level tournaments that need all the help they can get.

For sure Nike is one of Wie's sponsors
    (They are really getting their money's worth right there )

But I am also thinking, and I can not remember for sure if Samsung is also one of her sponsors. To a lesser extent than Nike. Remember last year she got in this same event, bumped out much deserving 20th position player Julie Inster. Then went behind Julie's back and stole her caddie.

As stated, Annika has class. Some Miss Wie and her parents should take note of for future reference.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Good on Annika too bad for Natalie and shame on Wie Wie
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Golfbum;211730]But I am also thinking, and I can not remember for sure if Samsung is also one of her sponsors.

Sony is her other big sponsor so I doubt that Samsung sponsors her.

[quote=bobblehead;211750]
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    But I am also thinking, and I can not remember for sure if Samsung is also one of her sponsors.

Sony is her other big sponsor so I doubt that Samsung sponsors her.
    Either way she doesn't belong in that event anymore than the girl who outside the Top 20 on the LPGA money list.

Thread Information