100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mike Weir

Gap Wedge HÄnd|cÄp is on a distinguished road

Mike Weir

Ok is he being ranked so high in the world because Bell is paying off the Sony rankings. Will he ever not choke in a major. I'm starting to seriously doubt his ability to grind it out.
    Is he a flash in the pan? The experts don't seem to thinks so.
    Personally I think he may be a Billy Andrade type golfer for years to come. Flashes of greatness mixed in with for the most part steady mediocre play.
    It is nice to have a golfer from Canada out there and doing something though.

Congrats to Disco Dick Zokol. - very nice showing and follow up to last weeks championship.

...and what the heck was that by Retief Goosen, just terrible.
    Will a golfer ever admit he choked...probably not.

You lifted your head...grrrrr!

hmmm.

No Editing ability on the new board, that should be amended.

Kilroy

edit test

Edit test

Humm. It is working for me. Registered users can edit messages. the button is in the lower right hand corner.

By the way I am Dan Kilbank, I am using Kilroy so that I have an ID as a registered user rather than Administrator. Just for these sorts of tests.

Also; Don't be too hard on Mike, especially when -4 is as good as anyone can do. I think Mike has a lot of game and is in contention regularly. It is tough out there. As a Canadian, I am proud of the things Mike has done in golf. Without Mike we are left with Richard Zokol and Dave Barr.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 06-18-2001 at 11:41 AM.

Gieker69

Canadian chokes....?

Just not sure if you were watching the same golf i was.....Weir didn't choke or fold under pressure....how many other where caught by the course....oh was that Tiger Woods playing like a Human Being???? hhmmm i think you must re-evaluate your game...apparently you can play like the pro's....at least in your own mind!! And if i do recall, Mr. Canada (Weir) for PGA Golf won the World Championship last year...$1,000,000.00 ....not like he had any competition for that prize!!!!
    My thought is that you are going to have to reflect on the golfers around OUR man and do a good comparison....Mike Wier can play golf...his earnings reflect that!

yah but...

but when it comes to majors he just doesn't have what it takes yet. He has a tendency for fading away...

He is a really good player with a lot of talent, probably the best ever to come out of Canada short of Moe Norman, I just don't think he has the mental game to keep up with the big boys when the pressure really comes down. The World Championship is a good prize to win but it is not anywhere near a U.S. Open or even PGA championship.

I just think he needs a lot more confidence, I am not faulting his swing (even though it's backwards) and his putting is really good too, I just don't see him winning a major title anytime soon.

I think there are far more players deserving of the accolades he recieves. Do you think a player like Chris DiMarco or Bob May would ever recieve the amount of press he gets. Nope. Just another good yankee player.
    I suspect there is a little more pumping of Mikey due to the fact that alot of ratings are based on Canadian stats.
    I hope he proves me wrong but I can foresee alot of bridesmaid tourneys for this young Canuck.

Gieker69

So What..!?

Now you must really be confused....! Are you a Mike Weir Supporter or are you one of those "Canadian's Stink if they don't Win" guys???

What is your point?! Weir sucks cause he hasn't won a major? Weir will always suck until he wins a major? or is it Nice try Mike but you're a Canadian so why play when we know you don't have a fat chance??

Can i point out a couple really good "Bridesmaids" for ya....fello lefty Phil Mickelson hasn't won a Major yet, David Duval looks good as runner up too....how about all their press?! oh is that a Canadian Conspiracy aswell...just a couple token Yanks so that it disguises Weir's inflated rankings..?

Here's a little secret for ya....Press is Press, Good or Bad!
    Bell is loving every minute of airtime Weir gets..and so should we....the more the PGA talks about Canada and the golfers playing here (foriegn or otherwise) and the current Canadian 'trained' golfers, the better it is for our tournaments, spectators, enthusiasts and players all around.

Now as far as the rankings go....WHAT? Canadian Stats..? How do you think Sergio Garcia is ranked, or Van de Velde or Greg Norman, or any foreign (NON AMERICAN) golfer gets ranked....the same way you got your 34 handicap, by playing tournaments sactioned by the PGA all over the world!!!

Why is it you think that we (Canadians) have to over exagerate ourselves to compete on the world stage?? do you have a patriotic inferiority complex?? or are you just an American hiding in Canada?

Can i point out a couple really good "Bridesmaids" for ya....fello lefty Phil Mickelson hasn't won a Major yet, David Duval looks good as runner up too....how about all their press?!
    They have at least won enough tournaments and had enough good major showings to deserve their press. Mike Weir is not even in the same league as them right now.
    Let me ask you this? If there was a 3 way tie for the lead in today's US Open round. David Duval, Phil Mickleson and Mike Weir...and you had to bet your dog's life on the outcome...who would you pick?

Why is it you think that we (Canadians) have to over exagerate ourselves to compete on the world stage?? do you have a patriotic inferiority complex?? or are you just an American hiding in Canada?
    you are in reality denial.:

The fact is that he is covered extensively in the press, and yes it is good for Canada, my argument is does he actually play well enough to deserve the kind of attention he gets. Well while watching the US Open yesterday we saw the answer to that. How much of Weir did you see Sunday...nothing.
    If he doesn't start performing to level we have touted him you are gonna see a whole lot more of nothing too.
    He is a super nice guy, good swing, good game...but don't be disappointed if becomes the Ian Baker Finch of Canada.
    Oh wait, Ian Baker Finch won a major.
    I wanted to see him win as much as you did, but i certainly wasn't surprised to see him Goosen after the first hole.
    imho.

i'm willing to bet he won't even garner a Canadian Open.
    :

Gieker69

good you were actually watching...

The fact is that he is covered extensively in the press, and yes it is good for Canada, my argument is does he actually play well enough to deserve the kind of attention he gets. Well while watching the US Open yesterday we saw the answer to that. How much of Weir did you see Sunday...nothing.

So you watch American TV but read Canadian News!!! I am glad you were paying attention!

Should Weir not get great Canadian Press? and of the golf played on the weekend, why would you have expected Weir to be covered by American TV?...there was a "legend flushing himself down the toilet!"

Canadian Born player watched by Canadians!! that should be the next ne3ws article you need to read....same with CBC covers American based Winter Hockey Teams playing for Canadian Trophy in Summer!

Let's just suppose you were to be granted a wish by the majic genie and could play golf like Weir...would we (Canadian's) take interest in how you play against the World's Best...?
    Not sure if you would have the "mental strength" to understand your role in Canadian Sports.

Being the BEST Canadian Golfer right now, he deserves every bit of homeland (by birth only!) press we can give him!!
    Let's not kick ourselves in the ass when we should be patting our selves on the back and cheering for each other!

oh, and The Canadian Open isn't much of a Major outside of our own Country anymore...sorry to burst that bubble. But if that is what is needed for us to say Mike Weir is a REAL good golfer then hang on...cause he may just impress you sooner than later!!

thanks for proving my points.

1) First of all i was talking about American Press.

2) Touche. The point I was saying is that he won't even garner a Canadian Open when the player most likely to win due to sub-par fields is John Daly. Just because it is our National Championship he will still not win it because he will put too much pressure on himself

3) ...get off the Canadian Bandwagon and check yourself into a reality clinic. He is not the player that either our country or the USA toute him to be.
    So he had a good skins game, a trip out to Vancouver (pfft!) and had a good week at the World Championship.
    Sure he ranks 20th in scoring, but does he do it when it counts?

but here are the rest of his BIG finishes
    2 -- Michelob Championship at Kingsmill; 4 -- Memorial Tournament, Mercedes Championships; T7 -- AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, Bay Hill Invitational; T8 -- MasterCard Colonial; T10 -- Phoenix Open
    ...let's not even talk about the major disappointments.
    enough to make money, enough to have some good stats...but not enough to win (and that is what matters - on the Big Tour)

I'm glad you are such a patriot, I'm sad you are such an idiot.

Gieker69

booo hoooo...

Let me guess....
    You are Stockwell Day's Personal Advisor.....trying to distract yourself by taking up interest in Golf..!

Good for you. I am glad you can be mediocre at more than just breathing....

As for Mike Weir and where you see him standing in the World of Golf....he is a hell of allot better than you (outside of your own mind) and myself along with 4.5 million other Canadian Golfers.

I believe he deserves his press, his standing (money rankings from your so impressed mediocre or ho humm tourney places) and the respect.

Shall he ever win a Major...he will before you do!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Talking

#11 out of 229 players on the PGA tour money list as of today . It is only mid season and Mr Weir has racked up $1,376,260 (US)

I dunno but I'd say anyone in the top 30 will get thier share of attention.

The most cometitive tour in the world. Yup he sucks.

Shall he ever win a Major...he will before you do!
    ...you think? : great argument.

nah I'm actually here to get some life into this board and you are the perfect sucker to fish my bait.

The fact of the matter is that you cannot disprove my point ( I never said he sucked) i said he doesn't have what it takes mentally to hang in there with the big boys on Sunday. (maybe someday he will...doubt it)

As for mediocre golfing skill I'm sure i would make you eat your words on the course, however your lack of intelligent conversation probably would rather make me eat my own golf glove trying not expose your ignorance...so i would decline an invitation.
    Simply stated Mike Weir has yet to prove he can make a run when it counts (consistenly).
    It is now more likely in reality for him to fade than than to surge.
    he proved it again yesterday.

Gieker69

point taken...

Disprove your point and the bait is taken...i think you have been eating the bait again, but hey let's predict the future....: "does Weir have what it takes to win a major?"
    Sure he does!!! He's playing in them! And as Tiger Woods says "To win, you have to get the breaks."
    The thing i think you are not seeing through those bugs speckled goggles is that Weir has been constantly improving his game year by year and tourney by tourney (earnings/rankings prove that).
    Do you expect every golfer to be the Tiger Woods Story and command a presence on the Links and have the press award the prize before a shot is taken, i am sorry but with that outlook Weir can't win.
    However, with his understanding of the mechanics of HIS game and the need for a disciplined swing everyshot to be competative ...then yes you are going to see vast degrees of greatness and goodness with him....sorry did you lose focus, must have lifted your head....but for competing and challenging the lead, Weir will win a big one in the next couple of years.
    It is his 5 year goal!

However, I can see that you really don't have an understanding as to just what the calibre of PGA "mediocre" golf is....take it from a guy who has walked inside the ropes a couple of times....you would be hard pressed to even hit a ball like they do.

Okay accidents do happen, you may get lucky....I mean a break!

Happy duffing!

if you mean caddying inside the ropes...been there done that, if you mean playing competitively inside the ropes...been there done that too.
    If you mean winning...also, been there done that.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Mike Weir

Handicap.......you make some points here and they're not all good but they are YOURS. Mike Weir is doing very well with the big boys. He is not Tiger Woods but he is obviously better than 2oo and something other international players in the world. I dont know who YOU are but i'm sure you must have gotten lots of press with all the WINS you talk about. I thank you for baiting us in this forum and letting us be patriotic. I hope you will post when and where the next time you are in a tournament so we can all go and support you. As for being patriotic..........I AM CANADIAN but i drink Blue!!!!!!!

Pitching Wedge jeff026 is on a distinguished road
    : Hey Guys, I can't believe what I just read ... Mike Weir is the best thing that could happen to Canada. He's a great inspiration to us all ... Somewhere I read, he shoots the wrong way (as in lefty) HELLO !!! As far as i'm concerned, if he's on the tour, HE MUST BE DOING... SOMETHING RIGHT !!!
    Jeff026

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Talking

Hehehe. It was a spirited discussion. National pride does that sometimes.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar

go Mike go

Way to go Jeff.

I think Mike is as head and shoulders above the rest of the Canadian crew as Tiger is above the world. There are a lot of great players that haven't played as well as he has in the last few years. There are also a bunch of great players that took many years before they matured into the great players they are today. Mike has taken a more direct route, and although the skeptics aren't likely to be kind about his achievements, he is blowing out of the water the standards that Canadian golfers have set before him.

If he continues to show the brilliance we have watched from him over the last two years, I personally don't care if he never wins a major, nor the Canadian Open. I will watch him with pride and cheer for him endlessly. But, if he continues to improve, I will enjoy smirking at the lack of foresight of the antagonists in this thread.

spidey

Putter Gieker69 is on a distinguished road

Wier...from 2 years ago!

Amazing....
    Handicap you still think Weir can't win a MAJOR??

oh wait i bet you are a big Weir fan now!

oh how things can bite ya in the ass!

Touche

I am eating crow indeed.

It was about time Mike Wier raised the bar for Canadian Golf. He just wasn't trying hard enough. I emailed him the link to this forum when it was first posted and told him he better prove me wrong.

This is what he emailed me back the other day, moments after his Masters win.

Dear HÄnd|cÄp:

Thank you for making me realize how important it was to stop dinking around and losing golf tournaments. For the last two years I have been thinking about this forum thread. Without you, HÄnd|cÄp, I wouldn't be where I am now. Canadian Golf owes you alot, more than anyone in the history of Canadian Golf, even me and Moe Norman. I think that Ottawa Golf Forum members should pitch in and pay for a membership at your favourite course this year.

Mikey (always in your debt)

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar

Putter Gieker69 is on a distinguished road

Lightbulb hhhmmmm...

Interesting idea coming from Mikey....
    The 'weir'd part about it is, his really good freinds call him "Weirsey"....
    but maybe you two have a "special" relationship.

Keep up the predictions!

Thread Information