View Poll Results: Which is the best two piece ball for under $25/dozen?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wilson 50/50

7 12.50%
  • Wilson ProStaff 360 Tour Performance

2 3.57%
  • TopFlite D2 Feel

19 33.93%
  • Srixon Soft Feel/ AD333

8 14.29%
  • Maxfli Fire/ Fire Tour

5 8.93%
  • Callaway Big Bertha Blue

5 8.93%
  • Nike Juice/ NDX Soft/ Power Soft

5 8.93%
  • Pinnacle Exception

10 17.86%
  • Precept Laddie/ XP3

1 1.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    Geoff
    you saw me buying another doz. of my choice last nite @ GT
    Last edited by rancherJ; 10-05-2007 at 03:43 PM. Reason: add name

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I like the srixon ones, haven't played many on that list, though.

how do you like those Strata "ELK"s? (jk pal)
    Andrew

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    One ball down, many to go.

Played a round with a 50/50 today. Solid ball. Long off the tee, soft off the putter, pretty good around the greens. Ball doesn't quite check up as much as other balls I have played. And other than it scuffing up real easy (played with one ball all round, but was thrown away after the round as it would be unplayable for a second round) I was rather pleased with the ball.

Next up, a D2 Feel or AD333.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    I personally don't know much about golf balls and their construction. However in reading Pelz's putting book different type of balls yield different putting distances when using his machine(don't know if that still holds true today) therefore your putting touch could be affected if you use different type of balls. I guess if it's best to stick with one brand.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I don't remember the 50 scuffing too badly when I tried them out. It's rare that I have a ball last more than one round anyway so it's not a big deal for me.

The Chief raises an excellent point about sticking to one ball. It really doesn't matter what ball you play once you stay with it. Every ball reacts differently off the putter, with chips, on approaches, etc.

People who "play what they find" are hurting themselves because one minute they may be playing a distance ball and the next thing they are playing a spinner. Hard to be consistent if that way.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I found a brand new D2 Straight in the cart I used this morning so thought I would try it. 9 holes later, 8 pars, one birdie. Seemed like a good ball to me Mind you the greens were damp so it stuck nice on approach shots. I did notice on a couple of chip shots I had the ball kind of exploded off the clubface though. It putted nice, rolled true.

There are so many good two piece low priced balls on the market that I think you have to buy some sleeves of different brands and see which ones suit your game.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    Tried the Wilson 50, and prefer the D2 feel. The 50 is great off the putter, decent wedge play, but too soft for me off the irons and driver. Almost marshmallow like for me off the driver and irons.

Gap Wedge Dohboy is on a distinguished road
    Geoff, any news on the D2 and AD33 comparo? Inquiring minds want to know

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    One ball down, many to go.

Played a round with a 50/50 today. Solid ball. Long off the tee, soft off the putter, pretty good around the greens. Ball doesn't quite check up as much as other balls I have played. And other than it scuffing up real easy (played with one ball all round, but was thrown away after the round as it would be unplayable for a second round) I was rather pleased with the ball.

Next up, a D2 Feel or AD333.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    As far as scuffing the balls i find that my Big Berthas really do a number on the cover.Someone told me it is because of the square grooves??????.I have tried the Wilson 50 ball and it is a good ball for the money.I am partial to Teitleist DT solo and have played them more this year than any other ball.It works for me.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Looking for something long of the driver, has a soft feel, and a ball that you can actually get to check up on the greens on approaches.
    Is it not true in the golf ball world that for a ball to be long, it requires less spin, and consequently controlling the ball around medium to firm greens is much more difficult. If there was a ball that was exceptionally long AND stopped on a dime, the whole world would be playing it.

Unless one is playing mushy greens where anything will stop, if you are interested in maximizing your chance of scoring, use a spin ball and if length is more important, use a rock.

In hitting balls from ProV1's to Pinnacles, TF's and the like, am I the only one who finds that the REAL differences, particularly in length, is quite minimal? I used a D2 Distance today, and found the main difference was a little flatter trajectory, which gets me a handful of yards longer.

PS: I never understood why the feel off the face matters? Where it goes is the only thing that is important.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Is it not true in the golf ball world that for a ball to be long, it requires less spin, and consequently controlling the ball around medium to firm greens is much more difficult.
    Not necessarily. You need to have enough spin for your particular launch conditions (speed and angle).

Too much spin and you get a balloon, not enough and the ball falls out of the air too soon.

That's why it's important to "test drive" a ball to see how it performs for you off of all the clubs. Every ball will react somewhat differently.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

After playing a few rounds with the following balls (Srixon AD-333, Wilson 50/50, D2 Feel), I've come up with some observations based on my game and swing:

Out of the three, the Wilson 50/50 is by far the longest. Probably a good 10-15 longer than the other two. The Feel and 333 are very comparable in distance.

I don't create a lot of spin with my irons for approach shots to greens, so the fact that I could get these to stop relatively close to where they landed on the greens was quite surprising. The 333 rolled out the most after hitting the green, and I play rather hard greens, but the Feel and 50/50 were only marginally better for spin coming into greens. From what I heard, I fully expected the 333 to roll off greens after landing, but to my surprise it was almost as good as the other two.

All balls reacted predictably for greenside chips and pitches with good control.

Feel off the putter:

The 50/50 was, in my mind, the softest feeling with the 333 the next softest. Suprisingly, for a ball named Feel, the TopFlite was the hardest (see "clickiest") feeling of the three balls off the putter.

Durability:

The 50/50 must have the softest cover of the three because it was the easiest to scuff. After a round with the same ball, you couldn't even tell it was a new ball at the beginning of the round.

The 333 was the most durable of the three balls. It had it's scuff marks, but you could still tell at the end of the round that the ball was new on the 1st tee.

All in all, I was rather pleased with the quality and performance of these two piece balls. No longer are they the hard rocks that don't perform well around the greens that two piece balls used to be known for.

Still not sure though on which ball I want to be my next gamer. I may still have to give the Exception a try.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Driver bazooka Don is on a distinguished road
    If your just looking for distance try the Slazenger Black. $1.99 for a sleeve at SportsChek. This is a decent price. Cheaper than knetgolf for used mint ones.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    The pinnacle exception is softer feeling on short pitches and putts. Similar to the pro v. Only on spin around greens do I notice a bit of run out. Thats it. Otherwise it is longer than prov and straighter. Bought some mint ones from knet awhile ago. Kinda regret buying 6 dozen as I have only lost a half dozen.
    Straighter longer ball means less chance of loosing it.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Thanks to all those that responded, and thanks to those that gave me a few samples. I've played with a few of the mentioned balls. Hopefully after a few more rounds with each there will be a clear cut winner.

Thread Information