100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Leafs/Sens Game 1

It was a great start to the season. Very entertaining first period and entire game in general. Looks like the Leafs are going to have to be a grinding type of team this year, but looks like they can pull it off easily.

I guess somethings just never change........Mr. Spezza continuously giving the puck away with needless passes into the middle of the ice (regardless of where he is on the ice). Sens looked disorganized in their own end when the Leafs put on some pressure. And there were stretches in the second period where the Sens just looked flat out tired, whereas the Leafs just kept coming at them.

It was some good hockey on both sides, and here's to hoping it sets the tone for an exciting game tonight and an exciting season.

A couple of observations:

Give him a left handed stick and Donovan could easily be Shaeffer, just a little quicker.

Gerber looked really at ease in net last night. Didn't look like he was fighting the puck or rebounds.

Corvo still won't throw a bodycheck to save his life.

Volchenkov is just an incredible defenceman. The guy just never stops when he's out there.

Fisher is still the hardest working Sen on the ice.

Anyone else have anything to add????
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    I had been hearing that Spezza got quicker over the summer, and he did. He won some races to pucks that he couldn't / didn't win last year. I thought Redden played ok, and while it certainly isn't his game, he held his own in his two fights - did he have two fights all of last year?! McGuire kept saying they were targetting Redden - if they were, at least he stood up for himself, which was nice to see. Maybe McGrats will get a chance to ragdoll Newbury and Battaglia tonight.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    I had been hearing that Spezza got quicker over the summer, and he did. He won some races to pucks that he couldn't / didn't win last year. I thought Redden played ok, and while it certainly isn't his game, he held his own in his two fights - did he have two fights all of last year?! McGuire kept saying they were targetting Redden - if they were, at least he stood up for himself, which was nice to see. Maybe McGrats will get a chance to ragdoll Newbury and Battaglia tonight.

They said in one of the intermissions that Redden has had two fights over the last three seasons. I think he's making up for lost time.

And I agree, Spezza is quicker for sure. Now if he can just stop passing to the middle of the ice......
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    The entire team, with the exception of Corvo and Meszaros looked good. Ever since his rookie campaign Meszaros has looked shaky. Phillips & Volchenkov are awesome and what can you say about Heatley. Frankly I think 7.5 million is a bargain.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I thought Vermette looked great as well.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I thought Vermette looked great as well.

Agreed, forgot to add that. Can he ever skate, and some of the best hands in the league.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    We had enough player turn around that you should expect it to take a few games for the new guys to fit in. I love the fact that the Sens still have that extra gear - when they kicked it in during the 3rd periord last night it was very, very evident who the better team was. That said, I like to see a consistent effort for 60 minutes, but this is the Regular Season now and I think some guys still aren't fully up to Reg Season game shape.

Vermette looked outstanding, it seems that he's finally got the message that he need to shoot the puck.

Fish looked really good for a guy that missed the majority of the silly-season games.

Gerber was solid

Too many penalties for my liking, but the PK was good

I think TO is in for a hard season.....their defense is about as mobile as a Pod of Whales and their traditional heart and soul guy (Tucker) was pretty much a no show.......although it was nice to see him spinning on his ass on the ice as Heater and Spez were heading up ice for the winning goal

GO SENS!!

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    We had enough player turn around that you should expect it to take a few games for the new guys to fit in. I love the fact that the Sens still have that extra gear - when they kicked it in during the 3rd periord last night it was very, very evident who the better team was. That said, I like to see a consistent effort for 60 minutes, but this is the Regular Season now and I think some guys still aren't fully up to Reg Season game shape.

Vermette looked outstanding, it seems that he's finally got the message that he need to shoot the puck.

Fish looked really good for a guy that missed the majority of the silly-season games.

Gerber was solid

Too many penalties for my liking, but the PK was good

I think TO is in for a hard season.....their defense is about as mobile as a Pod of Whales and their traditional heart and soul guy (Tucker) was pretty much a no show.......although it was nice to see him spinning on his ass on the ice as Heater and Spez were heading up ice for the winning goal

GO SENS!!
    I thought Tucker had a HUGE target on his back. I must have seen at least 7 BIG hits towards Tucker last nite. The heart and soul guys played real well last nite, like Fisher/Vermette/Volchenkov/Phillips. The top guys didn't play great for 60minutes, but when it got to "go time" they stepped it up and won the game for us.

Gerber looked decent, but nowhere near where a #1 goalie should be, so i hope Emery is back soon. She was an ugly game for the Sens, but when all was said and done, they got the 2 points.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    They said in one of the intermissions that Redden has had two fights over the last three seasons. I think he's making up for lost time.

And I agree, Spezza is quicker for sure. Now if he can just stop passing to the middle of the ice......
    Isn't Redden going into an option year or something? Maybe he is stepping it up for a bigger payday
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    Isn't Redden going into an option year or something? Maybe he is stepping it up for a bigger payday

If he's looking for a bigger contract, I'm pretty sure the Sens' brass would prefer he do it with better stats and his stick, rather than his bare hands.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    nah, he's not in an option year. It pretty hard to get a bigger payday, the guy is top 6 paid d-men in the league i believe. The only guys that make more than him are Lidstrom, Chara, McCabe, Timonen and Jovanoski.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    nah, he's not in an option year. It pretty hard to get a bigger payday, the guy is top 6 paid d-men in the league i believe. The only guys that make more than him are Lidstrom, Chara, McCabe, Timonen and Jovanoski.
    He's in the last year of his 2 year contract. He'll be an UFA after this season.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I tell ya, I'd love to see Vermette on the second line. Vermette-Fisher-Eaves would be an incredible line to have in behind the big three.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    He's in the last year of his 2 year contract. He'll be an UFA after this season.
    And almost certainly won't be signed by the Senators. They will go with someone cheaper so they can resign Spezza, Eaves, Vermette and possibly Kelly (doubtful). Expect to see rookies filling up a couple of spots in the roster next year (with the likes of Zubov, Nikuklin etc coming through this is not a bad thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    And almost certainly won't be signed by the Senators. They will go with someone cheaper so they can resign Spezza, Eaves, Vermette and possibly Kelly (doubtful). Expect to see rookies filling up a couple of spots in the roster next year (with the likes of Zubov, Nikuklin etc coming through this is not a bad thing).

Kelly is an under-rated / very valuable player... why do you say it's doubtful he'll be re-signed (or am I not reading your post correctly?) I think it'd be a big mistake to let him walk.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Kelly is an under-rated / very valuable player... why do you say it's doubtful he'll be re-signed (or am I not reading your post correctly?) I think it'd be a big mistake to let him walk.
    I think someone is going to offer Kelly too much money for the Sens to match. I agree with you, he is quite a valuable player to them.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I think someone is going to offer Kelly too much money for the Sens to match. I agree with you, he is quite a valuable player to them.
    Could happen I guess. Hopefully he's the kind of player that everyone underrates, GMs included.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Doubtful due to what kind of salary he would command on the open market. I guess they could still keep him if they dealt away Corvo and Gerber.

I'd love to see Kelly sign but in the cap era you only have so much space.

A core of:

Heatley
    Alfredsson
    Volchenkov
    Phillips
    Emery
    Fisher
    Schubert

that are locked up for 3+ years

Add to that:

Neil
    Mcgratton
    McAmmond

Who will still be under contract next season

Preferably the following would be great to re-sign

Vermette (RFA)
    Spezza (RFA)
    Kelly (UFA)
    Meszaros (RFA)
    Maybe even Donovan (UFA) if he can be signed cheap

It will then be bye bye to:

Redden
    Corvo (unless he can fill the redden void with a 2.6M cap hit)
    Gerber

And fill roster gaps with

A veteran backup for Emery, or Elliot if he can step up.

Zubov
    Nikulin
    Lee
    Foligno
    Nycholat (if he isn't picked up on waivers).

GM Murray is going to be a very busy man this season but it certainly looks exciting for us Ottawa fans that the team should remain one of the elite teams for a wee while longer at least.

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road
    i love veryone talking about emery like god...lets just see how the season unfolds...i think we might see gerber playin alot more games then expected...he looks sharp..

Quote Originally Posted by smithers40 View Post
    i love veryone talking about emery like god...lets just see how the season unfolds...i think we might see gerber playin alot more games then expected...he looks sharp..
    I don't see anyone talking about him like god but he is the #1 goalie until he gets unseated and he is also young with lots to learn yet

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    he is also young with lots to learn yet
    Yes both on and OFF the ice..................
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Yes both on and OFF the ice..................
    off the ice I could care less what he does, its on ice I want him to mature

off the ice I could care less what he does, its on ice I want him to mature
    Off the ice Maturity is over-rated - right Indio???

ROFL right

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Dear Hacker,

Your comment regarding "Off the ice Maturity" being overated is an excellent observation.

Sincerely Yours,

Mr. "Old Bag of Bones" on the Queensway
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    I love this time of year. You get to hear all of the Sens fans chirping about how great everyone looked and how we need to get people signed at year end...wtf it's been one game!

Now, for the Leafs fan to inject some reality into your oh so "Cloud 9 Lives" lol.

The reality of that game last night, is aside from 12 minutes the entire night, the Sens were outplayed. And not just borderline outplayed, but pretty significantly. Kind of like the Stanely Cup finals last year Ya ya...Leafs didn't even make the play offs blah blah blah.

And, truth of the matter is, the last two goals they scored, would never have gone in, dare I say they wouldn't have even gotten the shots off against any other team in the league. Any other team would have squashed Heatley's at the blue line before he ever had a chance of takin' a shot. For some reason, the last 7 minutes of the 3rd period and the 3 minutes of overtime, the Leafs defence were on strike against even starting a body check, forget finishing one!

They really didn't look as good as you think they did, they were playing the Leafs! Wait until they play against some of the top 5 teams in the East and then form your opinion of this year's team.

And, honestly I think that Gerber is a better goalie. Emery isn't much when people aren't blocking 50% of his shots already!

Fally
    aka Scott
    Go Leafs Go!
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

In reality it only took the Sens 12 minutes to beat the Leafs?!? So the Leafs are so offensively challenged that outplaying the Sens for most of the night, the Leafs can't even win then. The Blue Elimination watch has begun!
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post
    I love this time of year. You get to hear all of the Sens fans chirping about how great everyone looked and how we need to get people signed at year end...wtf it's been one game!
    Doesn't matter how many games have been played. Mr Murray has a busy season of contract negotiations ahead of him. You see the Senators actually plan for the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post

They really didn't look as good as you think they did, they were playing the Leafs! Wait until they play against some of the top 5 teams in the East and then form your opinion of this year's team.
    Anybody who thought the Sens looked good in those last 2 games needs their eyes testing. We barely got out of 1st gear, gave the puck away way to much and still gained 4 points out of 4. It's all that counts in the early part of the Season as they try to shake the rust off.

The Leafs on the other hand played rather well, but still couldn't beat the Sens. I can see why you are upset and feel the need to attack the Sens. If the Leafs play like that for the rest of the season they might even make the playoffs.

Senators on the other hand will get a rude awakening (precisely what they need) if they play like that against the Rangers on Saturday.

Long way to go though.

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Dear Hacker,

Your comment regarding "Off the ice Maturity" being overated is an excellent observation.

Sincerely Yours,

Mr. "Old Bag of Bones" on the Queensway
    Don't think for a second that I don't agree that Ray needs to grow up and act like the pro that he is because I do.......that was a 100% shot at Indio

Thread Information