100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dany Heatley

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    I love the way Spezza gets trashed unfairly like this.

Spezza had 53 assists last year and 71 the year before. That is 124 passes that lead to goals in a 2 year span of 135 games. I wonder how many goals were scored against the Senators due to a bad pass by Spezza in this time, 10 at most, if even that.

He is a creative player, I'd rather he kept his creativity and put up numbers such as those than not. I for one is glad he is on my favorite team and I think he gets criticized by the brainwashing of the media to make people pick apart every little thing of everyone in the spotlight. It's like people just love to build someone up so that they can turn around and smash them down.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    Spezza had 53 assists last year and 71 the year before. That is 124 passes that lead to goals in a 2 year span of 135 games. I wonder how many goals were scored against the Senators due to a bad pass by Spezza in this time, 10 at most, if even that.
    Well said HH!!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I love the way Spezza gets trashed unfairly like this.

He is a creative player, I'd rather he kept his creativity and put up numbers such as those than not. I for one is glad he is on my favorite team and I think he gets criticized by the brainwashing of the media to make people pick apart every little thing of everyone in the spotlight. It's like people just love to build someone up so that they can turn around and smash them down.

It's not about the goals his turnovers/giveaways have caused on the Sens but rather how many scoring chances has he caused the Sens to lose with some of his ill advised passes? There's a difference between getting checked off the puck and just lazily dumping it into the middle of the ice. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's on the team as well. His upside is way more promising than his downside, but the great players work on their faults to improve their game. Granted it looks like Spezza has worked on his skating, but that was only one of his faults. Working on his decision making on the ice with the puck still needs some fine tuning.

Just sit back and think for a minute HH. What if Spezza didn't make so many poor passes/giveaways......imagine his and the other Sens' stats.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post

Just sit back and think for a minute HH. What if Spezza didn't make so many poor passes/giveaways......imagine his and the other Sens' stats.
    Fair point, but remember Spezza is only 24 years old. One of other great players who wears 19, Yzerman, wasn't the full package at 24 either. It takes time to develop the sense of knowing when to make that amazing play and when to so something more defensively responsible.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Fair point, but remember Spezza is only 24 years old. One of other great players who wears 19, Yzerman, wasn't the full package at 24 either. It takes time to develop the sense of knowing when to make that amazing play and when to so something more defensively responsible.

I agree, but I'd like to see the coaching staff get on him a little more on that. The sooner he can improve in that aspect, the more goals he and the rest of the Sens are going to score.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Thats my point Hank, I want them to sign him long term and teach him those skills.... it is not so much that he is being bashed, fans just want to see him improve in those areas. But to be honest, even if he doesn't, he is still one player that I personally do not want to see gone!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nhwott5 View Post
    none of them i feel were taiht, they were defenmsive players who excelled at being offensive. Yserman was ALWAYS defensvely aware, even if he did not play the defensive forward role, he was aware. Spezza is juist not awware, never has been. That has always been his drawback. is he a gfood player, of course, no one is saying he isn't, but i woudl not call him the franchise, he just isn't, he is one of the top scorers on the team, but not the franchise.
    PARDON?

Stevie Y has said he learned to be a two way player once he reached the NHL with Detroit.

No one is stating that Spezza is the franchise player with Ottawa. But Ottawa would be crazy not to lock him into a contract for 5 years.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Another reason to keep Spezza long term is the obvious chemistry with Heatley. You take a huge risk if you bring in someone else and they pull a Yashin or a Jagr (when he is sulking).

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    fans just want to see him improve in those areas. But to be honest, even if he doesn't, he is still one player that I personally do not want to see gone!
    Me either.
    Yes his defensive play is often poor, but his offensive potential more than outweighs this. He is arguably the best passer in the game and I think he'll be top 5 in points this year.
    You would have to be nuts not to want to get hm signed.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Thread Information