100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lost ball?

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar

Lost ball?

What is the ruling on a lost ball?
    So I was playing in my first tournament on a course I have never played before -
    404 yard slight dogleg left. Hit 3 wood flush and pulled it alittle left.
    I didn't see it land, but one of my playing partners say it is just over the left fairway bunker. I proceed to start looking for it on the left rough (and being last to hit) I thought I had some time. I couldn;t find it and one of my playing partners ask the marshall to drive my back to rehit, but seconds later another partners tells me it's over to the right - on the fairway, way past the bunker! As I approach the original ball one of the playing partners say that it is considered a lost ball as it has been over 3 mins. I explain to them that I not sure if it's been over 3 minutes as I was last to hit and one of my playing partners was assured it was around the bunker. Anyways I play on and they say we will take this up at the clubhouse.
    I just found out I was DQ, and nothing was brought out to my attention at the end. Just an internet posting I was DQ. How do you know it was 3 minutes and what is your take on this? I wasn't 'in the running' to win but just want to learn from this.
    Bite, Bite!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    You actually have five minutes to search for your ball according to the rules.

If there was a doubt as to whether you could have played the original ball you should have declared that your new tee shot was going to be played according to rule 3-3. At the end of the round you should have had the situation clarified by the committee. At that point you would have been informed as to which ball counted for your score.

As an additional note, if you aren't sure you can find your ball it's always a good idea to play a provisional.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    thats 5 minutes from the time you get to where the ball might be , and start the search

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Not trying to be facetious but you should wear a watch. Then there is no argument.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    It is the player's responsibility to know the rules. The 5 minute time limit for a lost ball is one of the simplest and basic rules of the game.

Decision 9-1 states that a player incurs no penalty for giving wrong information, however, if it can be proven that the wrong information was given deliberately, then he is subject to disqualification. But, that does not change your score.

Thread Information