100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge MyGolfster is on a distinguished road MyGolfster's Avatar

The Good in Woody Austin? Fire in Phil?

This week has been a turnaround week for Woody Austin’s reputation.

His comeback on Friday afternoon may have been the spark for the American's Saturday morning sweep. If that match had been lost, the score would have seemed much closer going into Saturday. However, it was not his Friday fire that has impressed thus far.

After he fell in the water and was two down, he had a smile on his face! Like everyone else in the world, he thought it was hilarious! Woody-like?? HECK NO. If it were a stroke play event his club would have been laid to rest at the bottom of the pond.

Secondly, many people will agree that Phil likes his money and likes playing for cash. This is the man who wanted a check bigger than him if he were to win the Fed-ex cup. This week, regardless of his record, Phil has had a lot of fun playing with Woody, and he we saw true fire in his eyes when he made the putt for a half yesterday.

Usually Phil's "fire" has a smile to go along with it, which ruins his so called "competitive edge" all together. Do you know why he smiles? Because he is usually thinking about the GIANT check hes going to receive in the mail!

Was it Woody, or is there something special about standing (or falling) in the water on 14?
    MyGolfster.com

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    What I found interesting being there on Saturday is that the so-called "problem" people like Austin and Sabbatini are actually the most responsive with the crowd. Sabbatini was acknowledging the crowd when people yelled out to him. Phil was good as well. Then Woody puts the goggles on today! I really like seeing the human side of people, even it means some negative stuff.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

2 Iron GolferChick is on a distinguished road GolferChick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by byerxa View Post
    What I found interesting being there on Saturday is that the so-called "problem" people like Austin and Sabbatini are actually the most responsive with the crowd. Sabbatini was acknowledging the crowd when people yelled out to him. Phil was good as well. Then Woody puts the goggles on today! I really like seeing the human side of people, even it means some negative stuff.
    I agree with you it's nice seeing the human side of the players since the media doesn't always give a fair picture. I was very surprised today when Phil spotted my 6 yr old son and was looking for him to give him his ball on the way to the 3rd. He handed him his ball and told him "there you are.. I was looking for you". Three other players also came over to give him their ball: Cink, Ogilvy and Furyk (he got the one he made an eagle with on the 2nd). It's such a small gesture for the players but a huge thing for a 6 year old fan!!!

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GolferChick View Post
    I agree with you it's nice seeing the human side of the players since the media doesn't always give a fair picture. I was very surprised today when Phil spotted my 6 yr old son and was looking for him to give him his ball on the way to the 3rd. He handed him his ball and told him "there you are.. I was looking for you". Three other players also came over to give him their ball: Cink, Ogilvy and Furyk (he got the one he made an eagle with on the 2nd). It's such a small gesture for the players but a huge thing for a 6 year old fan!!!
    Nice mementos !
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Quote Originally Posted by byerxa View Post

I also agree. I enjoy this much better than Tiger refusing an interview!
    MyGolfster.com

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I have a new respect for Mr.Austin.I did not care for his attitude on the course but he showed the world that he is able to laugh at himself and that my friends is a very good thing.Way to go Woody and keep it up.We prefer to see this side of you.

I loved the goggles, what an entertainer.

He definately gained alot of respect from the players and the canadian fans
    MyGolfster.com

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GolferChick View Post
    When I was at the 11th greenside ropes during the Saturday afternoon round, Vijay stopped on his way to the 12th teebox and said to a young 6 - 7 year old "hey son would you like the ball" and came over and tossed it to the boy. The young guy was excited, but I think his Dad was even more excited.........
    By the sounds of it these players make it a point to give their golf balls to the young kids watching. This is such a smart move as these kids are the next generation of golfers. All it might take is for one of these young kids to receive a ball and then get excited about learning the sport and who knows maybe become the next Mike Weir............
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    All it might take is for one of these young kids to receive a ball and then get excited about learning the sport and who knows maybe become the next Mike Weir............
    or Tiger
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Rory had a crazy following. Also someone made a remark to tiger in good fun while walking down the fairway and he quipped back and everyone had a laugh; himself included.

Can't imagine being #1 with EVERYONE wanting a moment of your time. You have to put up a shield most of the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    or Tiger
    Yes like Tiger.............

I certainly cheered Tiger on just as much as Mike. You probably heard me on NBC..........
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    I think the not quite as serious nature of the PC (compared to the RC or a typical PGA stop) made this event more enjoyable. The players seemed personable and I think with less pressure there was better golf.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar

I certainly cheered Tiger on just as much as Mike. You probably heard me on NBC..........
    It was funny hearing myself over the little earset radio yelling "go in the hole!" on the 20 second or so delay as a Nick O'hearn putt rolled on 11 on Saturday morning.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    It was funny hearing myself over the little earset radio yelling "go in the hole!" on the 20 second or so delay as a Nick O'hearn putt rolled on 11 on Saturday morning.
    At least you were not one of those yelling "get in the hole" when the players were teeing off on the Par 5 holes...............
    Those people should be kicked off the course............

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar

No sorry, didn't watch the telecast
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    At least you were not one of those yelling "get in the hole" when the players were teeing off on the Par 5 holes...............
    Those people should be kicked off the course............
    Indeed. Don't know what came over me really. I always said I wouldn't be one of 'those guys'.

Coulda been that I had gotten up at 4 AM, left the house at 4.50, walked through the gates at 7, and hadn't had anything to eat until I washed down a hot dog with two beer at 10 AM. Doh!
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Indeed. Don't know what came over me really. I always said I wouldn't be one of 'those guys'.

Coulda been that I had gotten up at 4 AM, left the house at 4.50, walked through the gates at 7, and hadn't had anything to eat until I washed down a hot dog with two beer at 10 AM. Doh!
    Yes like you, I left Ottawa at 4:00 am, walked through the gates and over to the nearby #3 hole at 6:45 where we were at the ropes 15 ft behind the pin................. and then proceeded to yell "Way to go Tiger" at the top of my lungs when he made his birdie putt in the morning round. My significant other "punched me" in the shoulder and said you sound just like those stupid guys yelling on TV.
    Yes we can blame it on the lack of sleep....................

Thread Information