CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tiger vs Weir!

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Young people, once upon a time there was Arnie Palmer, Gary Player and Jack Nicklous and none was better than the other; and Chi Chi Rodrigous , Lee Travino... and no graphite nor titanium

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
    Not only was the President's Cuip good for the country it was great for my marriage!!! My spouse of 34 years,who is a great gal, just doesn't get the passion nor the hours of practice it took to break 90 this year, my rookie golf of year. We visited the Royal Montreal on Friday and sat for three hours waiting for the troops to hit the 16th!!!!!!! She was thrilled, as was I to see Mike lock it on the 17th Friday. While I golfed at the Outaouais Sunday afternoon she watched the entire singles event on television. DID YOU HEAR ME BOYS...she watched the entire singles event...ALONE.... not feeling obligated to watch with me! Heck I don't care if it is good for golf in the nation....I get to golf three times this week!!!!!!!!! YAHOOOOOOOO!!!

But---the question remains. Is she going to take up the game?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgoo View Post
    Young people, once upon a time there was Arnie Palmer, Gary Player and Jack Nicklous and none was better than the other; and Chi Chi Rodrigous , Lee Travino... and no graphite nor titanium
    Yes and before that was Ben Hogan and "Slamming" Sammy Snead..........

I was sitting in the short 4 row grandstand prior to Saturdays afternoon tee-time. Looked down and there was Jack Nicklaus with his arm around Tigers shoulder.
    I turned to the person I was with and said remember this moment as you are seeing the two greatest golfers who have ever played the game...................
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Yes and before that was Ben Hogan and "Slamming" Sammy Snead..........

I was sitting in the short 4 row grandstand prior to Saturdays afternoon tee-time. Looked down and there was Jack Nicklaus with his arm around Tigers shoulder.
    I turned to the person I was with and said remember this moment as you are seeing the two greatest golfers who have ever played the game...................
    Hell, even I won't debate that

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Hey guys...what did i miss?
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by covanant View Post
    Hey guys...what did i miss?
    The usual, nothing out of the ordinary
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Long thread,can you do a re-cap

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Hacker, that is what I am debating; I think it was a draw between the three and there has never been a time since in golf when, there were three 3 players always usually 1,2,3 in just about all tournments. My favouate was Player.

Long thread,can you do a re-cap
    14 posts were deleted, 6 guys got banned and the Master Debater hasn't won any friends

I love to

I love to
    I find that real hard to believe

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    14 posts were deleted, 6 guys got banned and the Master Debater hasn't won any friends
    Suggestion for your next Forum Golf Outing make sure Hacker is presented with a Mike Weir Golf shirt as a prize.....................
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Suggestion for your next Forum Golf Outing make sure Hacker is presented with a Mike Weir Golf shirt as a prize.....................
    I'm sure he would love that, especially if it was pink

Watch the great NBC video highlights "Hole by Hole" of Weir vs Tiger match.

http://video.nbcsports.com/player/?i...videoid=162027

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    For those that feel the Presidents Cup was not a big golf event for Canada, read this.

MONTREAL -- The Canadian flag flew above the nearby clubhouse at Royal Montreal as Tiger Woods looked more Canadian than Mike Weir, MORE

Do you think that 7 year old is going to be inspired to work hard on his game? I bet he is.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    For those that feel the Presidents Cup was not a big golf event for Canada, read this.
    MONTREAL -- The Canadian flag flew above the nearby clubhouse at Royal Montreal as Tiger Woods looked more Canadian than Mike Weir, MORE
    Do you think that 7 year old is going to be inspired to work hard on his game? I bet he is.
    Rick, I invite you to go back and read the initial question I posted on this, in no way shape or form did I say it was not a big golf event, I simply asked a real simple question that asked what the 'benefits' would be..... I agree it is a big event for Canada but it 'ain't the second coming of christ' as a few of your a making it out to be.

We reaped some great econoical benefits, wonderful exposure to the world on the status of golf in Canada and how fans should be and maybe, just maybe bring more younger kids into the retire's game of golf. The cold hard facts of growing up to be a pro golfer in Canada is that you have to go elsewwhere 7 months of the year to golf in good weather and for many, the cost of that is prohibitive to the parents. Only a select few will ever get the chance to live that dream due to costs alone. As everyone sdays, golf is a sport for the rich.

Excellent

I like Mike and his company makes nice golf attire.....I'm hoping to play the Marshes over the weekend if you wanted to meet up with me and give me my present early

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
    Not only was the President's Cuip good for the country it was great for my marriage!!! My spouse of 34 years,who is a great gal, just doesn't get the passion nor the hours of practice it took to break 90 this year, my rookie golf of year. We visited the Royal Montreal on Friday and sat for three hours waiting for the troops to hit the 16th!!!!!!! She was thrilled, as was I to see Mike lock it on the 17th Friday. While I golfed at the Outaouais Sunday afternoon she watched the entire singles event on television. DID YOU HEAR ME BOYS...she watched the entire singles event...ALONE.... not feeling obligated to watch with me! Heck I don't care if it is good for golf in the nation....I get to golf three times this week!!!!!!!!! YAHOOOOOOOO!!!
    Great post!
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Anything you are willing to donate to the prize table for our fun day is welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Excellent

I like Mike and his company makes nice golf attire.....I'm hoping to play the Marshes over the weekend if you wanted to meet up with me and give me my present early

Uh---what size

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Uh---what size
    HEY

I might be fat but I can lose weight and you'll still be old

......but I'll still luv ya mon ami

Rick, I invite you to go back and read the initial question I posted on this, in no way shape or form did I say it was not a big golf event, I simply asked a real simple question that asked what the 'benefits' would be..... I agree it is a big event for Canada but it 'ain't the second coming of christ' as a few of your a making it out to be.

We reaped some great econoical benefits, wonderful exposure to the world on the status of golf in Canada and how fans should be and maybe, just maybe bring more younger kids into the retire's game of golf. The cold hard facts of growing up to be a pro golfer in Canada is that you have to go elsewwhere 7 months of the year to golf in good weather and for many, the cost of that is prohibitive to the parents. Only a select few will ever get the chance to live that dream due to costs alone. As everyone sdays, golf is a sport for the rich.
    Bob where did I mention your name in my post? In no words did I say this was the "Second Coming of Christ"

Let me say this much. Maybe where you golf you do not see many young boys playing the game. Where I work there are many playing the game. Boys and a couple of girls.
    Three former JR members from the course have scholarships in USA. Two at Bowling Green, and a young lady is attending Notre Dame.

In the next couple of years I am sure there could easily be 3 or 4 more young members from that course who will earn scholarships into US Schools.

Yes it is a Private Course. However it is not priced out of reach either.

Any young golfer who really wants to try to make it further up the ladder will make it. Hard work and dedication to the game pay off. I watch these kids practice for hours every day.

I disagree that golf is a sport for the rich or retired people. I have played golf for 25 years and I am far from rich. I am sure many other members of this forum are not rich either. We play golf because they love the game.

BTW with the status of the Canadian Open, the President's Cup might well be the biggest golfing event you will see for some time in Canada. Right behind it would be the LPGA CN Canadian Open.

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    Again, the main point of most of this thread that Bob is trying to bring up is what will this do for Canada? Provide examples. But I'll let Bob argue the rest of his side of it.

As someone else mentioned in this thread, GB, you're providing examples of people that are already into golf. I agree with others that this ultimately will do NOTHING for people who did not watch, and are not interested in golf.

My understanding of programs in the US like the First Tee program they actually GO INTO the inner city or areas to bring golf to the kids. If no programs are developed in Canada to do the same thing and make uninterested people interested, then this is only motivating and a driving force to previously interested golfers.

My uncle got me involved in golf, when I thought it was the most boring sport on the planet. Now I am enthralled by it. Maybe if a parent had their child sit with them while they both watched this match together it would get that child interested.

I also find that the local courses (that I've had experience with) really don't have much time for juniors. Your course might be different, I'm only speaking of my own personal experiences, so don't shoot the messenger. Club pros are being forced into a more managerial role than teaching pros etc.

Golf might not be a sport for the rich, but it is a sport for the reasonably well off. I'd still say it is elitist, but I love it, so maybe I'm an elitist!

Fally
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Bob where did I mention your name in my post? In no words did I say this was the "Second Coming of Christ"

Let me say this much. Maybe where you golf you do not see many young boys playing the game. Where I work there are many playing the game. Boys and a couple of girls.
    Three former JR members from the course have scholarships in USA. Two at Bowling Green, and a young lady is attending Notre Dame.

In the next couple of years I am sure there could easily be 3 or 4 more young members from that course who will earn scholarships into US Schools.

Yes it is a Private Course. However it is not priced out of reach either.

Any young golfer who really wants to try to make it further up the ladder will make it. Hard work and dedication to the game pay off. I watch these kids practice for hours every day.

I disagree that golf is a sport for the rich or retired people. I have played golf for 25 years and I am far from rich. I am sure many other members of this forum are not rich either. We play golf because they love the game.

BTW with the status of the Canadian Open, the President's Cup might well be the biggest golfing event you will see for some time in Canada. Right behind it would be the LPGA CN Canadian Open.
    Rick, golf is a game for the rich.... I am not talking stinking rich like Big Mac or Ironmaster but I am talking well off. Yes, we are all golfers in here and most of us are not rich, and many in here are looking for green fee deals! We all have money or we wouldn't be golfing. However I know MANY people who would love to golf 2 or 3 times a week but just can not afford it! It is pay the monthly bills, buy food, and play golf once, maybe twice a month..... it is life's reality my friend.

And I am not questioning nor have I ever questioned the status of the presidents cup in Canada..... I asked what I thought was quite a simple question which I was hearing over and over and over without anyone saying why, so I asked .... then all hell broke lose and I was being bombarded with silly assed responses about the blue jays in 92 and 93 and people insinuating I wasn't patriotic because I wasn't doing cartwheels because Mike Weir had beat Tiger etc etc etc... Hey, I am happy Mikey beat tiger, I am normally a Tiger fan but I was actually rooting for Mikey but am I going to scream at the top of my lungs over Tiger being beat in match play for the 4th or 5th time..... nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post
    Again, the main point of most of this thread that Bob is trying to bring up is what will this do for Canada? Provide examples. But I'll let Bob argue the rest of his side of it.

As someone else mentioned in this thread, GB, you're providing examples of people that are already into golf. I agree with others that this ultimately will do NOTHING for people who did not watch, and are not interested in golf.

My understanding of programs in the US like the First Tee program they actually GO INTO the inner city or areas to bring golf to the kids. If no programs are developed in Canada to do the same thing and make uninterested people interested, then this is only motivating and a driving force to previously interested golfers.

My uncle got me involved in golf, when I thought it was the most boring sport on the planet. Now I am enthralled by it. Maybe if a parent had their child sit with them while they both watched this match together it would get that child interested.

I also find that the local courses (that I've had experience with) really don't have much time for juniors. Your course might be different, I'm only speaking of my own personal experiences, so don't shoot the messenger. Club pros are being forced into a more managerial role than teaching pros etc.

Golf might not be a sport for the rich, but it is a sport for the reasonably well off. I'd still say it is elitist, but I love it, so maybe I'm an elitist!

Fally
    aka Scott
    Well said Scott. My previous course is like this. The club pro is also a manager and does nothing for the junior program... for several years while I was a member there was no junior program and juniors were not allowed on the course until after 4 in the afternoon and only if there were tee offs available that day. It took a concerned member parent to volunteer to run a junior program that was funded by donations from the parents to get a program started and if I am not mistaken, was shutdown after that parent left the course a couple of years later.

I don't think golf is an elitist sport (although some clubs try to make it that way) but it is for those of us who have the financial means to get good equipment and pay relatively expensive greenfees.

silly assed responses about the blue jays in 92 and 93 .
    And can you explain why this is a silly assed response Mr. B........!!!

From Slam sports back in June, and it will give more detail on what I was trying to explain re: Baseball.
    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/C...41679-sun.html

Why are there now so many more Canadians playing at such a high level of baseball in the Minor Leagues and the 20-25 players in the Majors......???
    Because Mr. B. enrollment in Little League, and Junior Leagues throughout Canada took off in the early to mid nineties.............which many Scouts and coaches I have talked to over the years will tell you was a result of the success and exposure of the Blue Jays.
    Increased PARTICIPATION and kids sticking with game until an older age mean't that you had a GREATER CHANCE of developing a kid who could become a future Major League Player.

This was ONLY mean't to be a very good example of how success in a sport can create interest and role models and INCREASED PARTICIPATION.

This is the SAME principle that Golfbum is seeing with the young golf kids at the course he works at. Perhaps some of them will stick with the game longer if they see success of Canadian Golfers such as Mike Weir.................
    Last edited by Kilroy; 10-03-2007 at 05:44 AM. Reason: insult

Did I miss something here? When did I get Rich???? Did I miss an inheritance or something?

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    From personal experience, I'd agree that there is a direct relation between the success of a team / player and the interest kids have in participating in a sport. My son, 8, came to me in late June expressing an interest to play hockey - an interest he did not have until after the Senators went to the final this spring.

I think kids will emulate anyone and anything they admire, and the success of Mike Weir might have the same effect on kids as did the Senators success have on my son.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

No televised golf event is going to help promote golf if non golfers do not watch it. That only makes sense. I won't argue that point, I am not stupid.

Does the RCGA do enough to help promote JR Golf in Canada, outside of the actual Juniors who are golfing? IMO NO. Why? Cash strapped organization.

The First Tee Program in USA was set up and is funded by businesses. If big business in Canada would step up to the plate and help support a JR Golf Program then maybe Canada could promote golf to more young people.

One thing I do know for sure. The PRO at the course I work at is very active with the junior members. That is why 3 of those members are currently on golf scholarships in USA. Will those 3 turn PRO? Who knows, but at least they are in a college program now. Without the help of our PRO they might not be there at all.

The RCGA and provincial golf associations need to step up their programs in order to promote golf among young people. One good thing about Tiger Woods (See Bob I do not HATE WOODS!) is he has helped make golf cool with young kids. No longer is golf viewed as an old farts game. A lot of that is due to Tiger, and other young golfers such as Adam Scott, Sergio etc. You might think those bright colours those young studs wear is off the wall. Young kids think that is cool and dress the same way. I see that every day in the summer!

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Did I miss something here? When did I get Rich???? Did I miss an inheritance or something?

And to think I missed the chance to golf with a RICH DUDE and pick his pockets on a golf bet

Thread Information