CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tiger vs Weir!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar

Tiger vs Weir!

This is why I love the President's Cup and am ambivilent about the Ryder Cup. It's just way more fun. Tiger has to be the favourite here, by a lot, but can you imagine the crowds if Weirsy pulls this out? Wish I could be there, will have to settle for watching it on tv. Can't wait for this match!

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    There will be 30,000 fans there today, 29,000 following that match! If Mike does well the roars from the crowd will be wild. It is very cool when you can hear the crowd half way around the course!
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    This is a great match for the fans , but yet another mistake by captain Player. Woods vs Sabbatini should have been the right match up IMO .
    I think that playing one of your best players against the worlds best may not be the right move considering the points deficit for the Internationals .
    I think Weir could have picked up a victory against most of the other players on the USA with relative ease , but against Tiger its his hardest test for sure , not to say that he can't do it , its just a bit more pressure for him.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

I think Player is looking at having to win 9.5 out of 12 points today, and has probably decided that he's going to play to the fans and try and ride some crowd momentum. You can't give away points when the other side only needs 3 to win.

If anyone's going to beat Tiger on the international team, it's probably either Weir, Vij or Els. If Weir can beat him, the fans will be going crazy and will probably lift the other internationals along with them. It's a longshot either way, but it makes some strategic sense as well as provides the people there with what they want on what could be a day with zero drama otherwise.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    You know guys--I really don't care who wins today We are going to see good golf and the team captains have set it up for the fans In the individual match maybe Mikey can beat Tiger--lets watch and enjoy
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    This is why I love the President's Cup and am ambivilent about the Ryder Cup. It's just way more fun. Tiger has to be the favourite here, by a lot, but can you imagine the crowds if Weirsy pulls this out? Wish I could be there, will have to settle for watching it on tv. Can't wait for this match!
    This is why the President's Cup is nothing more than an entertainment exhibition, and the Ryder Cup is serious competition. The fact that Nicklaus and Player are captaining their respective sides for the umpteenth time not withstanding, the fact that they continually bow to media and fan pressure to always pit the "hometown boy" aginst Tiger in singles seriously devalues this event. Sure, I love the fact that Weir will be playing Tiger, it will definitely be great "theater", but is it the best tactical move to try and engineer an International comeback? Highly unlikely. If Player was serious about winning then it should have been Els, or Vijay assigned to be the "dragon slayer", not Mike Weir.

This should be a tournament of consequence, and I believe that it is for the players on the International side. The American side, by and large knows that this tournament is second fiddle to the Ryder Cup, and it shows. The U.S. lead is not down to inspired golf, it is down to RELAXED golf. The Internationals consistently lose this event for the same reason that the Americans are suffering at the hands of the Europeans...pressure.

Well, at least the President's Cup is heading out to Tiger's and Phil's old stomping grounds in 2009, maybe we'll get to see them go head-to-head in the singles out there, that would be AWESOME!! Oh, wait... they're on the same team... I'm not worried though. If we leave it to Jack and Gary (and the PGA Tour), I'm certain that they can make it happen.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

I couldn't disagree with you more. The 2003 match between Els and Tiger was a bit of a fizzle, but the playoff was amazing and had the whole tournament riding on it.

Weir has been, along with Vij, the best player for the internationals. They're out early and if Weir and Vij can get up on Tiger and Phil, they'll provide a whole lot of momentum for the rest of the team. This is not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    This is why the President's Cup is nothing more than an entertainment exhibition, and the Ryder Cup is serious competition. The fact that Nicklaus and Player are captaining their respective sides for the umpteenth time not withstanding, the fact that they continually bow to media and fan pressure to always pit the "hometown boy" aginst Tiger in singles seriously devalues this event. Sure, I love the fact that Weir will be playing Tiger, it will definitely be great "theater", but is it the best tactical move to try and engineer an International comeback? Highly unlikely. If Player was serious about winning then it should have been Els, or Vijay assigned to be the "dragon slayer", not Mike Weir.

This should be a tournament of consequence, and I believe that it is for the players on the International side. The American side, by and large knows that this tournament is second fiddle to the Ryder Cup, and it shows. The U.S. lead is not down to inspired golf, it is down to RELAXED golf. The Internationals consistently lose this event for the same reason that the Americans are suffering at the hands of the Europeans...pressure.

Well, at least the President's Cup is heading out to Tiger's and Phil's old stomping grounds in 2009, maybe we'll get to see them go head-to-head in the singles out there, that would be AWESOME!! Oh, wait... they're on the same team... I'm not worried though. If we leave it to Jack and Gary (and the PGA Tour), I'm certain that they can make it happen.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    If Miller uses the hockey analogy one more time I am going to scream!

' well folks, Mike Weir needs the equivalent of a hockey hat trick now'
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    Mike Weir beats Tiger Wood?????

not in my wildest dreams could i have imagined that!

good job Mikey

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    ... and MIKEY WINS!

Team Match Play Champ 2009 geronamo is on a distinguished road
    He Shoots He Scores!!!!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE 2007 & 2009 OTTAWA GOLF RYDER CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geronamo View Post
    He Shoots He Scores!!!!
    LOL
    WOW is more like it
    He played GREAT all weekend except for the front nine on thursday.
    Way to go Mike!!!

Oh yeah congrats to Aqua Man and the US Squad on their victory
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Quote Originally Posted by geronamo View Post
    He Shoots He Scores!!!!
    LOL

There is nothing more to say---Mike can play with the best of them---I'm a Tiger fan but I don"t want to hear any more dumping on Mikey---He did it and he did us proud.

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Great playing by Mike.This could give him the confidence he needs for next year.

Like Foxman, I sure hope this leads to a big year next year for Mike. To come back after blowing a three up lead, to being one down late, and then pulling it out on the last hole against the best player in history (a simple matter of time) is awesome. Great match, I loved every minute of it!

Player just gave Wier huge praise... he thinks this is what he needed to turn his golf game around. I say only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    Player just gave Wier huge praise... he thinks this is what he needed to turn his golf game around. I say only time will tell.
    Actually, he said it is what the young man needed to turn his LIFE around.... Whats up with that!

Another thing Player said that irked me a bit..... he said our goal this week was to bring the great game of golf to Canada..... yup, I guess those are hockey sticks out in my bag in the garage and the Canadian Open is an Amateur Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Actually, he said it is what the young man needed to turn his LIFE around.... Whats up with that!

Another thing Player said that irked me a bit..... he said our goal this week was to bring the great game of golf to Canada..... yup, I guess those are hockey sticks out in my bag in the garage and the Canadian Open is an Amateur Tournament
    yeah i was reading between the lines when he said its what he needed to turn his life around.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Does anyone need a little salt to go with their roasted crow? I guess Gary Player does know a little something about setting up a match, and I guess Mike knows a little something about taking down a giant. This was a tremendous competition.

I should add that I tasted a little of that crow, since I was of the opinion that Mike was not the Canadian who deserved to be on the team. What do I know? NOTHING.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

All we need now to fix this game is--new comentators

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I agree with you on that. It would also have been nice to see the International players after the event. Yes, the Americans won, but I doubt that the International team members were huddling in a corner sulking. A few shots of the latter chatting with each other and their wives would have provided a fitting closing to this memorable encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    All we need now to fix this game is--new comentators
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Congrats Mikey! Great win, he must be so HAPPY and getting drunk!!!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    This was Fantastic for golf in Canada !!! So happy for Mike. It is exactly what he needed !!!

Saw Mike playing the practice round on Wed. and he was struggling with some shots. But also saw Vijay giving him encouragement and discussing his swing.

Then saw Mike play in the Morning and afternoon yesterday (Sat.) and his entire game looked solid!!!

Glad he kept it going today and there are VERY FEW golfers on this planet that can say they came back to beat Tiger Woods.
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

I'm curious, why are many people saying 'It is great for golf in Canada'? What are the benefits to Canadian Golf?

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Yeah according to the ever wise commentators the fans were calling for Weir to be the next president of Canada .. WTF ?
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I'm curious, why are many people saying 'It is great for golf in Canada'? What are the benefits to Canadian Golf?
    Ok Mr. Indio, let me explain this to you..............

All those little 10 - 12 year old kids out there watching and saying "you know what Mom and Dad" I would like to learn to play golf and someday beat players like Tiger. If Mike is from Canada and he can do it so can I........."
    So Mom and Dad enroll Junior in Golf camp instead of sending him to the hockey camp which he had been attending just because the other kids in the neighbour hood were attending.

Let me use a comparison. There are currently aprroximately 25 Major League Baseball players who are from Canada. And some of these Canadian players are AllStars. There are also at least 100 spread throughout the minor leagues. Back in the 1980's there were only 2 or 3 players from Canada playing at the Major League level. So what caused this sudden surge in players......? Was it because of Global Warming and now the seasons are longer in Canada.......Nope !!
    Go back to the early 1990s and specifically 92 and 93 Toronto Blue Jays World Series Champs. All those kids getting into organized sports in Canada in the early 90s were 10-12 years old and enrollment in organized baseball surged !! So how old are they now in 2007......... They are 25 years old, with 25 of them playing at the Major League Level !!!

So with success on the World Stage of Canadian Golf role models then it will only have positive results for future Canadian Golfers.

Hope this explains things..................
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Ok Mr. Indio, let me explain this to you..............
    Since the Moderators didn't like my original response, let me rephrase it.....

Yes PEI, it explains everything very clearly and without room for misinterpretation....

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road

All those little 10 - 12 year old kids out there watching and saying "you know what Mom and Dad" I would like to learn to play golf and someday beat players like Tiger. If Mike is from Canada and he can do it so can I........."
    So Mom and Dad enroll Junior in Golf camp instead of sending him to the hockey camp which he had been attending just because the other kids in the neighbour hood were attending.

Let me use a comparison. There are currently aprroximately 25 Major League Baseball players who are from Canada. And some of these Canadian players are AllStars. There are also at least 100 spread throughout the minor leagues. Back in the 1980's there were only 2 or 3 players from Canada playing at the Major League level. So what caused this sudden surge in players......? Was it because of Global Warming and now the seasons are longer in Canada.......Nope !!
    Go back to the early 1990s and specifically 92 and 93 Toronto Blue Jays World Series Champs. All those kids getting into organized sports in Canada in the early 90s were 10-12 years old and enrollment in organized baseball surged !! So how old are they now in 2007......... They are 25 years old, with 25 of them playing at the Major League Level !!!

So with success on the World Stage of Canadian Golf role models then it will only have positive results for future Canadian Golfers.

Well, this is a very "after school special" thought in my opinion.

The actual impact on Canadian golf will be judged through the junior programs. Look at the programs in the states, specifically the First Tee. Do I think that all of a sudden, because we had the President's Cup here, these programs are going to be rolling out for 2008? No, absolutely not. Do I think that because the galleries showed lots of love to all of the players that they'll all show up for the Canadian Open in 2008? Heck no, although, why do you think that people were still pulling for Vijay when he was stinkin' up the course? Because he's committed to playing in Canada, not because he was playing an American.

This isn't going to make golf more accessible for the 10-12 year old kids, although they might want to go and try it. Chances are that a 10-12 year old kid will still want to be playing the more "popular" sports because of their friends, not inspite of them. After all, they still want to be with their friends. And let's face it, if the average parent is shelling out the cash for hockey gear and new skates every year for the kids, they won't want to be shelling out for the golf clubs.

The commentators mentioned numerous times that per capita, more people play golf in Canada than in the US. I think the US victory will probably inspire more golf in the US than in Canada. Why do I think this? Not because of Tiger, but this year more than any it shows that the "everyman" can play golf and be successful. I think most Canadians realize that.

As for the baseball analogy, my impression of baseball, especially in smaller markets, is that it's actually on the decline. Minor fastpitch is on the decline where you used to be able to see a lot of it. Soccer is starting to take over in popularity where fastpitch used to be. As for hardball, I can't comment on that as I was never in hardball (where I was from they didn't have any unless you went to London, ON...and who knows where or how far away games would be at that point).

I think I'm with Indio on this one, I really don't see how this is going to make any difference. But if I'm wrong, I'll eat my piece of humble pie.

Fally
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

3 Wood Evil Chris is on a distinguished road Evil Chris's Avatar
    The putt he sunk on 17 *really* got the crowds fired up.
    A good win for Mike.
    [url=http://www.zeemine.com/]Zeemine[/url]

Thread Information