100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar

Chipping - which method?

Hi, I have been reading Stan Utley's short game book and was wondering if anyone uses his technique or the Pelz method?

Mike

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    I have read both and I think at the end of the day I use whatever shot I feel most comfortable with, almost a combination of both. I subscribe to Pelz's 3 or 4 wedge system with 7, 9, and 10 o-clock calibration on the 30-100 yard shots. Some may say its "too mechanical" but I find it is an excellent way to develop the "feel" for these shots. It makes perfect sense to me - we all know how far our full 7 iron goes, so why can't you figure out how far all of these other shots go?

As for chipping and pitching, I can't seem to get comfortable with Utley's swing (although his putting stroke works for me). I find I need a more torso managed swing to control my distance. However, Utley does have a different sand shot method that I find more fool proof for getting out cleanly. For me the tradeoff is I find the shot slightly less controllable in terms of getting it close, but when I am being a goof with my swing it is a good fall back to just get the ball out reliably.

Regradless there are short game fundamentals shared by both across the board, i.e., flat left wrist, hands leading club face, descending blow to the ball, etc. I think most people would be better served getting the fundamentals down before getting too worried about specific methodologies.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by byerxa View Post
    Regradless there are short game fundamentals shared by both across the board, i.e., flat left wrist, hands leading club face, descending blow to the ball, etc. I think most people would be better served getting the fundamentals down before getting too worried about specific methodologies.
    Bang on!!! The above are imperatives and to them add smooth acceleration and pick a spot on which to land the ball. Don't need a book and a Bible to accomplish these.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree, go to Purepointgolf , the easiest way to learn how to chip.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information