100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar

President's Cup Friday experiences

Well, 6 wood and I went to the President's Cup in Montreal today and it was a fantastic experience. It was a bit tough to see at times with the crowds lining the fairways, teeboxes and greens, but through some strategic hole jumping, ahead planning and downright good luck we were well positioned for some of the key moments.

Highlights of the day were:

- Got there as soon as the gates opened and were well positioned for range... basically right beside all the players. Luckily we ended up on the east side, which was where the American team was warming up so we were about 30 feet from Howell, Phil, Tiger and Furyk. Phil and Tiger were hitting shots side by side and facing each other (being lefty and righty) but never spoke a word. Tiger was however quite chatty with Furyk, who was on his other side, and at one point even went over to Fluff and chatted with him for a couple of minutes with big smiles all around.

- After the range we went straight to the 5th tee box and had primo spots to see everyone hit their tee shots. We watched each group come thru so saw everyone up very close.

- We got early to the 14th and watched every group play up to the green, thereby getting to see Vijay and Appelby close out Tiger and Furyk early, much to the chagrin of the much larger crowds which had been waiting all day on the 16th, 17th and 18th holes...

- Got to see Mike and Ernie close out their match on the 17th green while 100 feet behind us, Woody fell into the water (we were standing on beside the 16th fairway looking across the pond to the 17th green). So we missed Woody falling into the water but we were there for the crowd reaction and did get to turn around and watch him pull himself out etc. We were also near a monitor so we saw the replay immediately .

- When no one was looking I spread my Dad's ashes on the teebox of a hole which for the moment shall go unmentioned . Let's just say Tiger will be teeing off tomorrow directly off Dad at one point, which he would have loved. Yeah, I know some people might think that is a bit strange, but so was Dad

-K.J. Choi gave me a thumbs up after I yelled out "Go get 'em KJ!" as he was walking up the 14th fairway past me (I might have been the only one to cheer for him all day LOL, as it was a Weir lovefest). He could not putt today but he played fantastic and hits the ball like God. I'm now a fan.

Lots of other stuff but those were my favorite moments of the day.

Couple of observations too:

- Man, these guys are long!!!! They were driving the greens on holes I would be hitting 8 iron into LOL!

- Zach Johnson lost a lot of fans this weekend. He was playing with Weir's group so everyone was watching him play ridiculously slowly, causing a huge gap between the 2nd and 3rd groups and jamming up the rest of the matches. There is no way Ben Crane could be slower than this guy.

- The way these boys warmed up on the range has made me rethink my entire range process. Everyone was unbelieveably deliberate, controlled and had a plan.

- Angel Cabrera is a beast. I could watch him hit driver on the range all day. Or on the course. Also talented, competitive and a quite the showman. I'm a fan!

- If Mike Weir played all the time like he did today, he would win 10 majors.

- Woody Austin has more lead tape on his 4 iron than I have in my entire workshop. He also might be the best ball striker since Moe Norman. Man, Woody, can hit a ball. If he putted all the time like he did today, and could stop falling into the lakes, he might actually give Tiger a run.

I'd also love to hear about anyone else's day

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post

I'd also love to hear about anyone else's day
    Well ... I got into work around 7... had my second cup of coffee at around 9:30....went for a walk at lunch........

How was the parking Reid.. any problems in or out?
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris St. Michael View Post
    Well ... I got into work around 7... had my second cup of coffee at around 9:30....went for a walk at lunch........

How was the parking Reid.. any problems in or out?
    LMAO!... Happy Friday!

Getting in is a piece of cake, particularly if you get there early. Take the St-jean exit, head north to de Salaberry ( about 6 or 7 blocks), turn right on de Salaberry and you cannot miss the parking. You jump on a shuttle and are at the course in 20 minutes.
    Getting out is a bit tougher. Unless you leave early you will wait in a BIG line for the busses. It is not too bad though.
    Just a tip, if you can park in the G, H, I etc. sections you will be able to get out easier when you leave than in A, B, or C and will also get off the bus earlier, as it goes by those parking areas first on the way back. If you end up in A head right (East) going out instead of back to St. Jean and take the first right (can't remember the name) it will take you right down to the 40 and you will avoid all of the traffic going west on de Salaberry and then down St-Jean to the 40.

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Nice rant Reid, yout father can now settle some past issues he may have had with the Golfing Gods with a zero handicap.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Hey Apex--nobody can come up with a better send-off for you dad---class move
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    ya it was a great day for sure! our plan worked out pritty good... we started on the 1st green back left, great angle to the pin and all the players walk right by after there done.... stayed there to watch all the groups then right behind is the 9th, if you stand at the fairway bunker that is where all the second shot come from. had furyk step on my feet as he walked into the bunker! then we went to 16, there is a live tv so you can get all the updates. also if you stand at the last tee box or along the path to the fairway you see all the shots come down 15,also a great look at the green and great view of all the 16th (tee shot and second) but a ways from the green. then went to 17 watched Weir and then to 18 for the last couple of groups. and to get Weir's autograph as he walked by!

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post

- When no one was looking I spread my Dad's ashes on the teebox of a hole which for the moment shall go unmentioned . Let's just say Tiger will be teeing off tomorrow directly off Dad at one point, which he would have loved. Yeah, I know some people might think that is a bit strange, but so was Dad
    That is a wonderful piece of sentiment there. Beautiful.

7 Wood Newbie is on a distinguished road
    Reid I must have been sitting right behind you and probably parked beside you in G. After watching the range for a bit we choose to go to 16, have a picnic and watch the action on the big screen. Hustled to 17 where we could see second shots from 15, approaches from 16 all of 17 and tee shots from 18. Great day for Kate and I. Hope everyone else getting tickets from Mike and I have positive experiences as well! Watching the coverage today will have added interest knowing that your dad is there with each tee shot. Special as is the fact that I WAS THERE!

Vic

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing Reid.

If you have a minute could you tell us more about the following:

The way these boys warmed up on the range has made me rethink my entire range process. Everyone was unbelieveably deliberate, controlled and had a plan.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Thanks for sharing Reid.

If you have a minute could you tell us more about the following:
    Hey Andre! I was actually asked this same question on another board so I am reposting what I wrote there. It was very interesting watching them go thru all of their routines, which were almost identical:

Cabrera came out first. He deliberately picked his spot, smiled at the crowd, took a few practice swings and then hit a soft wedge to a pin on the range that was about 75 yards out. It landed right in front of the pin, took one hop and stopped.
    Then he hit about 20 more like that (nice grouping!) and then gradually moved up to longer clubs.
    Goosen came out shortly after Cabrera started and proceeded to do exactly the same thing, then Johnson, then Mickelson, then Woods. They all did exactly the same thing. By then Cabrera was hitting longer irons and then eventually driver. They all went up thru the longer clubs, then to driver, exactly like him.
    Then at the end, they put the driver away. Hit a few more wedges very softly to the closer flag, and then each of them hit one driver right down the pipe, and moved on to the putting green.
    They all seemed to be working very hard to swing smoothly and accurately with the shorter clubs, almost half swings, and pretty much the same with mid irons. They were a bit more aggressive and harder swinging with the long irons, and then finally they were all hitting the driver more like the way I swing all my clubs LOL... as hard as they could
    You could also see what they were working on. Phil was trying to get inside (he seemed to be struggling a bit with swinging outside in and kept stepping back and practicing coming from the inside. Tiger seemed to be working on swinging flatter and keeping his hands low and away from his body on the follow thru.
    They were just smooth, deliberate and in total control, not rushed like I am on the range to hit the next ball LOL!

4 Iron JoeldMtl is on a distinguished road
    Was just given a ticket for tomorrow (Sunday). Any advice on how to get a good view (besides staying home and watching it on TV )?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeldMtl View Post
    Was just given a ticket for tomorrow (Sunday). Any advice on how to get a good view (besides staying home and watching it on TV )?
    Well, stand on your tippy toes...

Best view late in the day is actually around the 16th green, where you can see all of the 16th and 17th holes. On the front 9, I found the area around the 4th green the best because you can see the 2nd green from there and the tee on No. 4.

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    I had a great time on Friday. Got to the course just before 9, hit the merchandise tent then headed to the range.

We stood right near the volounteer tent where they keep all the practive balls. As someone mentioned, it was interesting to see everyone's warm up routine. I really noticed how efficient and smooth their swings are, as well as how long they keep their heads down after they hit the ball.

From there, we headed to the tee box #2 where we could barely see putts on #1. We were along the tee box about 20 yards down the fairway. It was great to see up close their swings and ball flight, as well as cheer them on as they walked down the fairway.

We then moved to the tee box at #9 almost right down the line. Great view as we were elevated slightly and could see approaches from #8. Being that close to the players was great. Amazing to see their swings and again their driver ball flights.

Last stop was along the fairway of #16. I tried to guess where their landing spots were and we were pretty close. Cabrera, Scott and Cink's second shots from the right rough/mud had to almost go over us on their way to the green. That was a great spot, was nice to see everyone's iron approaches.

Overall a great experience, as always, I wish I was there for a few days, but I can't wait to do it again!!

Hacker----was that you I saw on the 3rd tee--if it was looked like you were having a great time

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Hope Tomorrow the Int. Team will have the same success as Friday.

After having dropped kids to school, we zipped through to Montreal within 90 mins.
    Parking and shuttle bus went fairly smooth. It was close to 11:30 am when we got to the groud, we went straight to first green and just able to squeeze in next to a family whom brought their youngsters. Those lucky kids were excused from school for a week and had few pics and autographs to show off. It was surreal to see players walked by.. So used to see them on TV, and then they’re right there.

Some observations: Amy Mickelson was always clinging to Phil’s side even when we caught up their group several holes later …It was great to see VJ holed out from the first bunker…There was a funny scene when people started to chant Steve Williams name as you know who and his caddie walked by. A great set up to get Tiger to look over your way…. An arm length away from Jack Nickelus when I stuck my head through the crowd to see the last group tee off on the 18th.

After spent 20 bucks on two hotdogs, a beer and bottle of water. We decided to find camp out at the 17th stand by the green. The 16th would have been the better choice, since you could see the play from the gaint screen from there. So the next hour or so we just watched the reactions from the crowd across the pound. But in the end the 17th, green provided some great drama.. It’s a par 3 hole and we could see great shots coming toward us including Wiersy draw shot which was the closes of the day.

Also, having followed Rory Sabatini a few hole, I thought he was actually a better guy than what the media lead us to believe. Always cheering on his playing partner Trevor Immelman… Perhaps team sports might suits him better. He looked like rugby player than a golfer.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    It is official - the Internationals blow at alternate shot! On Saturday we wandered around in the morning and eventually decided to camp out in the 16/17 area. Great idea - we literally see one group make it that far! Standing along 18th fairway Sabbatini's wife walks by and some guy beside me says (not knowing who she is) "I don't think she works 9-5!". I laughed and said it was Sabbatini's wife. He asks if I recognize her and I say "yes, I recognize 'them'"

In the pm we followed the PhillyMick/Woody vs. Scott/Goose match at the start. By the 7th hole we gave up as these guys could not do a thing while we heard thunderous roars all over the course. So we waited for Weir's match and followed them the rest of the way. Mike played great - the 7-8-9 birdie stretch was cool. And just when Mike faltered on 11-13 Els actually stepped up.

Some observations:
    - Mike is hitting the ball great - his driving was phenomenal and he was keeping with Glover and Chucky 3-sticks in length as well.
    - Els has lots of reserve power. He was driving about the same length as the other 3 until 12 when he uncorked a 340 drive over the corner.
    - When these guys drive the ball it gets way up into the air in a big hurry and stays there. When Els popped the bomb on 12 some guy next to me commented "the ball gets small in one h-e-l-l of a hurry!". My buddy and I laughed as we walked from the tee to the second shots that it takes an awfully long time to get there!
    - They hit almost all of their 100yd and in shots lower than I would (lesson for me here). Especially Tiger - anything inside of 150 with any breeze and he wants to keep it really low. Of course they flop when they have to but usually they keep it low and really rely on the spin.
    - Goosen seems to have lost some of his fluidity, making me wonder if he has some back issues or something. A lot of shots (and not hard ones) he would get quick with his hands. I watched him practice putting after the morning rounds and I saw him stab a couple.
    - Glover's swing is interesting. His practice swing looks typical, but when he hits the ball his back swing shortens to 3/4 then he has substantial hip action and huge lag and pounds down hard on the ball, sort of Sergio like but with more hip action.
    - The greens are small, elevated, and tough. Even these guys where having troubles with the short game around these greens!

Overall this was an awesome experience. In the morning we got to 2 and the third group comes by; Tiger, Furyk, Scott, and Els. I turn to my buddy and say "When and where else are you going to see 1, 2, 5, and 6 in the world go by in the same group!
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

It is usually when you get up close and personal with these guys that you see what they do and you can't. Yep the greens are small and they seem to hit them within 10 feet of the pin most of the time----I'm happy whenI just hit the green. As for the backspin I can't imagine making a ball fly 150 yds-landing and backing up 15 feet---let alone go in the proper direction I know the fairways are soft but when the divot is over 12" long your arms and wrists have to be conditioned for it.

Like the PGA ad says "these guys are good"

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by byerxa View Post
    On Saturday we wandered around in the morning and eventually decided to camp out in the 16/17 area. Great idea - we literally see one group make it that far! Standing along 18th fairway Sabbatini's wife walks by and some guy beside me says (not knowing who she is) "I don't think she works 9-5!". I laughed and said it was Sabbatini's wife. He asks if I recognize her and I say "yes, I recognize 'them'"
    Yes, I listened to some great advice from a fellow who has attended Match play golf events such as this. He said do NOT go and wait at a green after #12, because it is quite possible you will not see all the groups go through as the matches could be decided early.............

Having taken advantage of attending Wed. Practice round I was able to "scope out" my game plan for Saturday.
    As soon as we came through the gates, we made an immediate right over to the nearby #3 green. So at 6:45 am we had great green side position at the ropes 15-20 ft behind the pin. It was ironic that the pin was not even cut until around 7:00 am and other people had positioned themselves behind the back right corner, and had left the back left corner open where we stood.

Saw all the groups come through #3, and Tigers nice 15 ft birdie putt.

Once the groups went through, we then walked to #9 fairway and saw all the groups make their 2nd shots to the green. Weir made a great shot as did Phil.....

We then had some time to walk around a bit and then got some great seats in the 1st tee bleachers. The shorter bleachers which face towards the practice green and #18 hole. So while waiting we could see the players come back for lunch and begin putting prior to noon - 1:00 pm tee times. Were able to look right down into the tee area, see each group pose for pictures with the Presidents Cup trophy, and then witness some terrific drives. Tiger's drive was amazing.......

Then we went and grabbed a bite to eat and drink. While standing eating, I looked over and mentioned that I could not believe there was NOBODY around the ropes at the adjacent #11 green as the first groups were already on #6 or #7. The bleachers were full, but nobody was standing along the ropes. So we went and grabbed a great position near the back left corner which was where the pin was, and also beside the area the players walk to #12 tee-off. We saw so much action here !!! Witnessed Mike's great bunker shot, Appleby's great lob shot out of the rough. Also witnessed some poor rough shots by Phil and Ernie.........
    Rory Sabatini's Wife was just on the other side of the ropes and she was so nice. Chatting with everyone and making sure she was not blocking our views of the action. Rory was not playing in the afternoon, so he was by the green cheering on his teammates at one point. I witnessed a real CLASS ACT on Mr & Mrs Sabatini's part. There was a very handicapped invidual sitting by the ropes and Mrs Sabatini went on her own doing got Rory to come over. Rory then squatted down and looked the fellow in the eyes had a short chat and signed his golf cap.

The other advantage of standing green side at #11 was it was slightly elevated so you could then see the players tee-off on #12.
    Tiger's group was the last group to go through so we then followed for a few holes until the crowds got too big.
    It was well worth leaving Ottawa at 4:00 am. What an experience on Saturday and have some great pictures from and great experiences from Wednesday.

It will be a VERY LONG time before Canada hosts a Golf event of this level again.
    I believe the earliest Canada could even possibly get the President's Cup again would be 2017.
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

7 Wood speeler_kda is on a distinguished road
    Arrived with my dad Friday morning at 10 naively hoping to make into the stands at No.1 tee only to learn from a marshall that they had been full since 8:30 (3:15 hours before the first group teed off)

Ended up on in a good spot next to the fourth green with an excellent view of No.2 green as well. The second hole is short (380 yds?)and the players were knocking it stiff all day. Most groups halved with birdies. Angel Caberra's drive wound up just 30 yds short of the green. He bombs it.

Mickelson was short-sided on No.4 and hit his patented flopper to six feet then drained the putt. The shot didn't go as high as I expected but landed perfectly in the 3-foot circle he needed to find. The fourth was playing 501 yds into a light breeze. Of the first four groups, only Goosen hit the green in reg. Tiger was pin-high right and eventually drained a 15-footer for par. He has a huge entourage of media and security following him inside the ropes...

Then we moved the grandstands next to the 13 tee. I heard Adam Scott's caddie say it was 237 to the pin (cut back left and protect by sand). Most guys were hitting long irons to the middle of the green. O'Hern, Zach Johnson and Stricker hit hybrids and Verplank hit a five-wood. Best shot was Cink to 6-8 ft and he made it... Els, Scott, Stricker, Weir and Verplank also hit great shots to 15-20 ft range (Verplank's richocheted off Adam Scott ball). Lucas Glover flared one into the right trap but I love the way he plays - simply tees it up and hits it, no futzing around.

I was there on Wednesday also and was very impressed with Choi. A couple of fans were pushy about getting stuff signed but he handled it very well and made a sincere effort to please everyone.

Saw Ernie hitting a fairway wood on the range, every one a towering draw that landed close to the target flag. The man oozes talent, I can't believe he doesn't win more. Same goes for Adam Scott, if he could putt a little better... Geoff Ogilvy's another natural. Walks around like he's wearing slippers.

Obviously, they all hit the ball so solidly and long but I did see my share of wayward shots. Charles Howell was spraying the ball all over the course and Appleby looked to be fighting his swing as well. It's fun to see them pound driver but I've seen a few Nationwide events and they hit it just as far (except for maybe Tiger and Cabrera). What really impresses me is their irons games. Yes the greens were very receptive but they were knocking the pins down on almost every hole. So fun to watch the world's best in attack mode.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Hacker----was that you I saw on the 3rd tee--if it was looked like you were having a great time
    T'was not I

I'm a Hockey Dad x2 now and I couldn't secure the weekend pass to watch the lads live

6 Iron hhk is on a distinguished road
    Did anyone else get stuck in the traffic trying to exit P11 on Friday night? It took me 2 hours to get off the Island. And the ridiculous thing was, it was just the stop signs that were jamming things up. Once you got past the last stop sign, it was clear sailing. All the police had to do was station a cop at each stop sign, waving people through. There were some local residents caught up in that traffic and boy, did I feel sorry for them. They were fuming.

That traffic just about ruined my day. Good thing I had a lot of pent-up goodwill from the fine spectator experience that was put on by the organizers.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hhk View Post
    Did anyone else get stuck in the traffic trying to exit P11 on Friday night? It took me 2 hours to get off the Island. And the ridiculous thing was, it was just the stop signs that were jamming things up. Once you got past the last stop sign, it was clear sailing. All the police had to do was station a cop at each stop sign, waving people through. There were some local residents caught up in that traffic and boy, did I feel sorry for them. They were fuming.

That traffic just about ruined my day. Good thing I had a lot of pent-up goodwill from the fine spectator experience that was put on by the organizers.
    We were on the shuttle bus that was detoured and waited on the side road for 30 mins... that was the only downer to a terrific day. Too tired to have dinner by the time we got home. But it was great to watch all the spots we were at on TV on the following days.

Great pic---sure sounds like you guys did it up good

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    T'was not I

I'm a Hockey Dad x2 now and I couldn't secure the weekend pass to watch the lads live
    Sure hope your blackberry was working

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Sure hope your blackberry was working
    Oh yeah, and the Sensplex has free WiFi

Thread Information