CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roof repair

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road

Roof repair

Is anybody or does anybody know someone who can do roof repair?

My roof is not that old but I have a couple of water marks on my ceiling. I am hoping that this is something that can be fixed.

Thanks all.
    Charles
    Back at it.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    A1 Professional Roofing just did my entire roof - I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend them

Thanks I will keep A1 in mind, but I don't think (or hope) that the entire roof needs to be replaced.
    Back at it.

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Consult XTOUR. He is a Roofer.

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    take a peak in the attic to see if you spot any water spots/ moist areas. often this is from problem near a flashing or chimney for example. you may be able to caulk it yourself

Quote Originally Posted by rancherJ View Post
    take a peak in the attic to see if you spot any water spots/ moist areas. often this is from problem near a flashing or chimney for example. you may be able to caulk it yourself
    That is what I think the problem is (flashing) but having next to no knowledge in this area I am willing to get a pro opinion.

Also a 300lbs guy (like myself) does not really feel comfortable wandering round an attic. But I will peek my head in tomorrow .... 300lbs gopher.

Thanks.
    Back at it.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Have you got a skylight? If so--check that first
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Have you got a skylight? If so--check that first
    nope no skylight.
    Back at it.

How old is the roof? Are the stains near a chimney or any of the vents--if yes--more than likely the flashing or if you have a roof running along a wall--the flashing again. Do you know if you have ice/water shield along the eaves?

Putter exzina is on a distinguished road
    Hi friends, I am buying a house which has an existing lean to extension made from wood and a polycarbonate roof. It has been up 8 years and as far as I am aware, it did not need planning permission. Can anyone tell me if there is a legal length of time that it has been there so there should be no problems with authorities? Thank you in advance and have a nice day.

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    Any NY state Real Estate lawyers on the site?

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    I/my insurance company used L.B. Roofing & Siding several years ago and they are very good. I had 11 years of leaks from two lousy roofing companies. Lonney Burnham was hired by the insurance company, inspected (something the other companies did not do) and gave a quote. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. If you are selling then 10 year shingles and weekend roofers is all you want. If it is your nest egg then go with the best. Can be reached at 613-825-0414. Can't go wrong... and no not a relative, friend and I'm getting no "finders" fee.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I got water on the ceiling of my bathroom, and it had nothing to do with the shingles (which I put on with a contractor buddy in 1990) It was because the house had a plumbing vent that was not vented outside, it just stopped in the middle of the attic, so as you can imagine in the winter it fogs up, condenses and freezes on the inside of the sheathing, and in the spring it melts, and drips down onto the insulation and eventually onto my drywall! Its not a big deal, and I believe the original builder simply forgot to extend the vent, because the other ones in the house are vented outside. Here's hoping your problem is a small one, but it really could be anything. You need a pro to come out look around & give you an estimate.
    Andrew

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I hate to resurtrect an old thread but woke up to 3 watermarks on my bedroom ceiling this morning. Had one last year too which dried up and went away. It has to be too much condensation in the house, flashing, or bad ventilation.

Who did you people call and use and what kind of price am I looking at? I really know nothing about this type of thing except that I do not want to let it get worse.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Par dlb is on a distinguished road dlb's Avatar
    You more than likely have an ice dam of some sort causing the back-up of ice underneath your shingles. I had this problem at my first house (bedroom also) Can you get into your attic to have a look ?? I spotted the leak and put a large bucket down to catch the drip until I got it repaired. The usual culprit is poor ventilation in that area - I had a two maximum vents (the tall ones that don't get covered by snow) put in along with some ice and water shield and it did the trick. No issues at all after this .......... Wasn't hugely expensive but it was over a $1G back then ?? Get a qualified roofer and explain to him the issues ...... I used R@G roofing. Cheers.

R @ G Roofing - A+ rating with BBB

http://tinyurl.com/cjc4gl

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Sounds almost exactly like the problem. I'm just hesitant to walk around up there.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Par dlb is on a distinguished road dlb's Avatar
    its not that hard (harder if you're like me and over 6ft tall !!) Just ensure you step on the studs not the drywall ....... You can put down a sheet of plywood across the studs to make it easier and knee pads do help. I was in my attic on a daily basis emptying the bucket !! Wasn't fun at all but it had to be done until I got it fixed .... then no issues at all !! Good luck ........

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    I'm not comfortable walking around up their either but because I have some back issues and kneeling on the joists was painful. I used either scrap pieces of plywood that you can easily transfer through your attic hatch or old fence boards. Gives you some flexibility and solid footing. One thing about tracing a drip/leak in the attic is finding it. Easy if you can pinpoint it from below but it may be coming from the outer roof at an entirely different place. Water seeks the lowest point so you may have to move around a lot to find the actual entry point. Good luck.

Yep---sounds like too much snow on the roof---had the same problem last year but I removed the snow just before the ice damm started to form.

First check your vents near the peak to see if they are clear---and then check to see IF you have free air movement from the soffit into the attic----if not-- then that is your problem.

The other problem is the actual amount of snow on the roof---believe it or not snow will act as an insulating blanket and allow heat to build up in the attic which will eventually lead to your roof snow melting and then freezing at the eavees causing the ice damm.

If possible remove the snow---DO NOT TAKE IT DOWN TO THE SHINGLES---leave about 2"

We had our roof redone 5 years ago by R&G as well--great outfit--they suggested using more than the recommended amount of ice-shield because of the poor roof design---no problems since.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I got an estimate over $7000 to reshingle my 1200 square foot bungalow with attached 1 car garage, easy access to the roof, low pitch, 1 chimney & 2 plumbing stacks, one layer of shingles which are 19 years old. I almost had a heart attack. Looks like I'll be digging out the 'ole nail apron, renting a dumpster and getting a few buddies together.
    Andrew

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I had a leaky roof last week and could not get a hold of the roofing company who replace my roof
    I contacted Scott(aka XTOUR) and he showed up the next day and quickly fixed the problem. Dry as a bone so far.
    Scott is very knowledgable and a super guy...would recommend him
    Thanks again, Scott!

Thread Information