100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar

McAmmond/downie hit

so suspension came down today for downie and its 20 games, what you guys think??

I think its a joke of a suspension, the guys not playing in the NHL anyway, so this is like suspending a guy who is retiring, what a complete JOKE! No fine was handed out, and by the sounds of it, its not gonna be a 20 game suspension in the AHL, so basically he got NOTHING

Campbell is a JOKE and should look forward to dealing with hits like this again. The NHL doesn't want to get rid of hits like this as you can tell from the suspension.

I hope downie gets the "real" punishment when he plays the Bingo Senators and Bois/Jeremy Yablonski get at him. This punishment, in my opinion, does NOTHING to deter him from doing it again.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Typical NHL.

Downie - 20 (AHL) games
    Bertuzzi - about 20 games
    Simon - 20 games

The Pronger elbow got 1 game. Hmmmmm.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    You're absolutely right Dave. This is a joke! Philidelphia should have been fined $100,000! (to send a message) If it's true that the suspension does not count in the AHL then something is really wrong here.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    so suspension came down today for downie and its 20 games, what you guys think??

I think its a joke of a suspension, the guys not playing in the NHL anyway, so this is like suspending a guy who is retiring, what a complete JOKE! No fine was handed out, and by the sounds of it, its not gonna be a 20 game suspension in the AHL, so basically he got NOTHING

Campbell is a JOKE and should look forward to dealing with hits like this again. The NHL doesn't want to get rid of hits like this as you can tell from the suspension.

I hope downie gets the "real" punishment when he plays the Bingo Senators and Bois/Jeremy Yablonski get at him. This punishment, in my opinion, does NOTHING to deter him from doing it again.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I agree that it is a little lighter than I would have like to see but my big question is 20 games starting when??? Downie had yet to make the Flyers so unless the AHL is going to honour the suspension, which I doubt, he is essentially getting away Scott free.

IMO he shouldn't be allowed to play anywhere for 20 games. It isn't like Chris Simon or Todd B. could go and play in the AHL when they were suspended from the NHL.......

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I read somewhere that the AHL was going to uphold the suspension. Has that changed?
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

The Sportsnet report says that the AHL will have to "Reconsider the situation" (or words to that effect) should Downie be re-assigned.

But even still - a 20 game suspension in the AHL doesn't equal a 20 game suspension in the NHL IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I agree that it is a little lighter than I would have like to see but my big question is 20 games starting when??? Downie had yet to make the Flyers so unless the AHL is going to honour the suspension, which I doubt, he is essentially getting away Scott free.

IMO he shouldn't be allowed to play anywhere for 20 games. It isn't like Chris Simon or Todd B. could go and play in the AHL when they were suspended from the NHL.......
    I heard on the FAN in Toronto that the suspension won't start until he makes an NHL roster. I also heard that the Phillies said they would honour the suspension in the AHL.

3 Wood nhwott5 is on a distinguished road
    the ahl can not honour it, as he woudl then be punished 2 times, it is 20 games in the NHL, so when he malkes the team his first 20 games will be inder suppension.

too many IMO, it was a chea; hit no doubt, but it is only 20 games because the person he hit was injured with a concusion, and mcammond was injured bcause he has a history of concussion and possibly was not healed form last one, if downie hits soeone else liek that, probably not as bad and no 20 games

5 games is wehat it should have had

The criteria that the NHL is not using for head shots is:

- Was it intentional
    - Did it result in an injury
    - Did the hitting player leave his feet
    - Was it a late hit
    - Was the player being hit in a defenseless position

The answer to all questions was a resounding YES thus the 20 games........

A for the record, Mcammond also has a strained neck and a shoulder injury

elbow down, yes
    left his feet yes,

late hit, no
    intentional, well only downie knows, but i dont think so

reason injry, could be hit, could be way mcammond hit boards after, as well teh severity of injuiry is quite possibly atributle to mcammonds histiory of injury and concussion.

defensless, well only because he put himself in a defenceless position.

no doubt that supension is fine, but 20 is too much. 5 games sure IMO

Quote Originally Posted by nhwott5 View Post
    elbow down, yes
    left his feet yes,

late hit, no
    intentional, well only downie knows, but i dont think so

reason injry, could be hit, could be way mcammond hit boards after, as well teh severity of injuiry is quite possibly atributle to mcammonds histiory of injury and concussion.

defensless, well only because he put himself in a defenceless position.

no doubt that supension is fine, but 20 is too much. 5 games sure IMO
    That's your opinion. Colie Campbell says he meets all 5 of the criteria and his opinion is the only one that really matters.....

Did you actually see the replay, the entire thing?? Downie started his run at the freaking blueline - that hit was as intentional as my reply to this post

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road
    If the NHL did believe he was gonna make the flyers team they should have given him 22 games seeing how the sens play the flyers 2 games after downeys suspension would be over if he makes the big squad. and if he plays that game hes in biggggg trouble

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Um, in all fairness, what else can Campbell do. If the suspension means nothing because he's going to the AHL, it wouldn't make a difference if it was 50 games.

the ahl can not honour it, as he woudl then be punished 2 times, it is 20 games in the NHL, so when he malkes the team his first 20 games will be inder suppension.

too many IMO, it was a chea; hit no doubt, but it is only 20 games because the person he hit was injured with a concusion, and mcammond was injured bcause he has a history of concussion and possibly was not healed form last one, if downie hits soeone else liek that, probably not as bad and no 20 games

ya, part of the 20 games is because the guy got injured, you're right. But do you want to why he got injured? Cause of the hit the guy put on him!! You're saying that a murderer should not be convicted for murderThat's like saying a guy gets convicted for murder, but its not his fault, its the victim's fault for actually dying.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Um, in all fairness, what else can Campbell do. If the suspension means nothing because he's going to the AHL, it wouldn't make a difference if it was 50 games.
    well i updated my post, its the first 20 games once he makes an NHL roster, so 20 is good. Does anybody know if the guy still gets payed for the games that he's suspended? If so, that the monetary loss of 1/4 your paycheck might be the bigger deterent.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Actually, he loses about $63k worth of salary. I agree, I hope they let him play in the minors so the guys in Binghamton have a shot at him. That being said, if the AHL does it right he should be suspended there indefinitely until his NHL suspension is served. That'll put the screws to Philly and force their hand. If they were smart they'd put him on the 23-man roster right now and get his suspension out of the way, and then send him down. There's no way in hell that they're going to let him play in game #22 here, he'd never get out of the building alive.

Either way, it's a proper suspension. Hell, Downie got more games than Bertuzzi did, and he ended Moore's career.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

ya, part of the 20 games is because the guy got injured, you're right. But do you want to why he got injured? Cause of the hit the guy put on him!! You're saying that a murderer should not be convicted for murderThat's like saying a guy gets convicted for murder, but its not his fault, its the victim's fault for actually dying.
    well i challenge that, i would put forth the possibilty that part of why he was injured is that he had not fullly healed from previous injuries.

as to murdererrs, well no answer there, not even close to same thing!

anyway that is my opinion and i stand by it, yes he deserve a suspension, but was it one of the wort thingfs ever seen in hockey, no where close, was it 7 times worse than say what emery did last year to laperrier? as far as intenet i see that as more intenet.

(just to stir it up another notch i guess)

well i challenge that, i would put forth the possibilty that part of why he was injured is that he had not fullly healed from previous injuries.

as to murdererrs, well no answer there, not even close to same thing!

anyway that is my opinion and i stand by it, yes he deserve a suspension, but was it one of the wort thingfs ever seen in hockey, no where close, was it 7 times worse than say what emery did last year to laperrier? as far as intenet i see that as more intenet.

(just to stir it up another notch i guess)
    you can't use previous instances as prove to whether it is too much or not enough suspension. They are trying to set a new standard to deter people from these hits, so of course its gonna be a larger suspension than the same hit a few years ago.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I for one may be a little too rigid here---it was an exhibition game not the final in the Stanley Cup---I in no way can condon the hit---every time I see it I cringe! Out for life---get a normal job---how many more individuals will have to lose their dreams because of hits like this?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    I for one may be a little too rigid here---it was an exhibition game not the final in the Stanley Cup---I in no way can condon the hit---every time I see it I cringe! Out for life---get a normal job---how many more individuals will have to lose their dreams because of hits like this?
    Don't worry big mac, this one's his "freebie". They all know that he has a reputation for playing dirty. If he does something like this again, I'm certain he'll be facing at least a full season, if not a lifetime ban.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Flyers prospect Steve Downie was ruled ineligible to play in the AHL for the first month of the season after the NHL suspended him 20 games last week.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by foxman View Post
    Flyers prospect Steve Downie was ruled ineligible to play in the AHL for the first month of the season after the NHL suspended him 20 games last week.
    Best news I have heard today
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Best news I have heard today
    I concur

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    So is that in addition to the 20 games in the NHL? 10ish AHL games + 20 NHL games?

I think this is to prevent Philly from having him play in the AHL and calling him up for a 1 game, sending him back down, calling him back up etc.

This will ensure that he servers a proper suspension

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    So is that in addition to the 20 games in the NHL? 10ish AHL games + 20 NHL games?
    Yes that is correct.He will still have to serve the 20 games in the NHL.It works out to 10 games in the AHL.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by foxman View Post
    Yes that is correct.He will still have to serve the 20 games in the NHL.It works out to 10 games in the AHL.
    EXCELLENT! he is getting even more than he expected and deserves every game he gets!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

I totally agree. I don’t think there was intent to permanently injure like the Simon incident. 5 games max.

Koivu got hit the same way last year by Malone and Koivu was not injured. Malone got 2 minutes and stayed in the game. The NHL has stupid rules like the 2 minute/4 minute rule depending on blood following a high stick!!!! What’s that all about? It should be 4 minutes automatically.

Hockey will be hockey.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I totally agree. I don’t think there was intent to permanently injure like the Simon incident. 5 games max.
    I agree that when compared to similar incidents in the past 20 games is too much, the fact remains that all of the history has been thrown out of the window. The GMs established new criteria that would be used to gauge the severity of a hit to the head THIS YEAR and going forward. Those criteria are:

- Was it intentional
    - Did it result in an injury
    - Did the hitting player leave his feet
    - Was it a late hit
    - Was the player being hit in a defenseless position

In Colin Campbell's eye Downie was the "Perfect Storm" and he got a check mark for each one.

Comparisons to hits and suspension in the part are irrelevant now as a new standard for comparison has been established.........whether it will be consistently applied is yet to be seen

I do disagree on the intent though......Downie got smoked in the Sens end and basically skated the entire length of the ice looking for someone to hit, when he saw Dean going around the net he left his position, put his head down, skated full speed from the blue line, and jumped while making the hit - that is intent in my eyes.

Thread Information