100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Thumbs up Shaun Micheel - A truly great guy

Walking down the fairway Saturday in a position he's never experienced before, as the PGA Championship leader, Shaun Micheel looked into the camera and said 'hi' to Spencer Beckstead.

"See you next week," Micheel said, referring to his plan to return home to Memphis, where 4-year-old Spencer is undergoing cancer treatment at the St. Jude Children's Hospital.

It may surprise many that at the biggest moment of his golf life, Micheel could be thinking about a sick little boy thousands of miles away. But it wouldn't surprise Beckstead, or his parents.

"Every time I see him, he brings such joy to my day. He means the world to me," the 34-year-old Micheel said during this year's FedEx St. Jude Classic, when he and Beckstead had a chance to visit with each other.

The two have a special bond.

"Shaun is Spencer's hero," the little boy's father, John Beckstead, said. "When he sees him on TV, he lights up like a rocket."

With the TV time Micheel has been getting at the PGA, Spencer Beckstead must be in orbit.

They've become "'best buddies," the little boy fighting for his life and the 34-year-old pro golfer who once saved two other people's lives when their car plunged into water after an auto accident. They meet in Memphis, where Micheel is from and where Beckstead receives treatment, and have also spent time together in Orlando, where Beckstead's family lives.

"I think Spencer has changed Shaun's life... to help him put priorities in order," John Beckstead said.

They met at the FedEx St. Jude Classic a few years ago when Spencer Beckstead was a toddler. The little boy had a brain tumor. Since that time, he has required 38 months of chemotherapy and surgery 10 times. Micheel calls him once a week, on average.

"That was the first time for me to be around anyone for any length of time who had an illness like that," Micheel said. "I knew what St. Jude was all about, but I'd never seen it from the perspective I have now. For some reason, we really became close."

Micheel added: "He's just a great little kid."

At this year's FedEx St. Jude Classic, Micheel took Spencer Beckstead with him to the first tee during the Pro-Am event, and let him sit down on a miniature FedEx truck. The announcer using a P.A. system to introduce players said: "Playing with Shaun Micheel, out of Orlando, Fl., is Spencer Beckstead!"

The little boy's father was in tears as the crowd applauded wildly.

Spencer's outlook has improved, to the point where he just visits the doctors every few months for checkups. Meanwhile, Micheel and his wife Stephanie, an attorney, are expecting their first child in November.

All of it still amazes John Beckstead, the boy's father.

"Shaun may be the nicest guy I've ever met. If something ever happened to my wife and me, we would have no problem leaving Spencer with Shaun Micheel."

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar
    It is nice to read that some of the Pros are still human not just golfing machines. After reading this I hope he wins his first Majors. In every sports you see so many spoiled rich athletes who only think of themselves and how much money they can make in sponsorship. Way to go.

Thread Information