100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MLB MVPs

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

MLB MVPs

I'm sure there is some baseball fans on here. And just browsing through the stats today, and from listening to baseball talk over the last couple of days, I was just wondering who everyone's choices are for MVP in the AL and NL.

In the NL:

For me, if the Phillies get in, its probably Jimmy Rollins. But if Chase Utley had played the entire season I think he'd be a runaway winner.

If the Rockies can somehow manage to get in to the post season, you can't over look Matt Holliday. What a year.

And David Wright for the Mets will get some votes as well.

Peavy for the Padres is having a great year, but he'll probably win the CY Young and be passed over for the MVP.

In the AL, A-Rod will get his votes. Victor Martinez for the Indians will get consideration. Magglio Ordonez for the Tigers should win, but missing the playoffs could hurt him. Josh Beckett for the Red Sox will probably take the AL CY Young, but again will probably be passed over during MVP voting.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    In my opinion i think A-rod is the runaway for the MVP.

He's 13th in average, leds the AL in homers by 10, and leads the RBI by 14. Not only that but he is also leading slugging %, 4th in On Base %, and leads the Runs category as well.

As far as AL Cy Young, i would think it will be Beckett, but Carmona for Cleveland has some good stats as well. He's 2nd behind Beckett for wins, leads the AL in ERA and has 1 more complete game than Beckett.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    NL MVP
    Matt Holliday or Jimmy Rollins

NL Cy Young
    Jake Peavy

AL MVP
    No contest Alex Rodriguez with Maglio Ordonez in second

AL Cy Young
    Josh Beckett
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    CC Sabathia for Cleveland may give Beckett a shot at Cy Young, he's been a rock for the Indians all year.

I don't pay much attention to the NL unfortunately...

And I'd lose money if A-Rod didn't win the MVP...although I can't stand the Yankees...

Fally
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post
    CC Sabathia for Cleveland may give Beckett a shot at Cy Young, he's been a rock for the Indians all year.

I don't pay much attention to the NL unfortunately...

And I'd lose money if A-Rod didn't win the MVP...although I can't stand the Yankees...

Fally
    aka Scott
    actually i would think Carmona would have a better shot than Sabathia. Carmona is 19-8 with a 3.06 era, while Sabathia is 18-7 with a 3.19 era. Beckett is 20-7 with a 3.27 era, so it should be a close race.

Good thing the MVP is voted on before the post season. If they based it on playoff performance A-Rod wouldn't even be in the running. 0 for his last 18 plate appearances, and strikeout after strikeout piling up. Not a MVP type of performance.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    That is what the post season MVP is for. Give the man the respect he deserves. Easily the greatest player to ever play this game. He will SHATTER bonds home run record and isn't just a pure slugger. He can do anything!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Good thing the MVP is voted on before the post season. If they based it on playoff performance A-Rod wouldn't even be in the running. 0 for his last 18 plate appearances, and strikeout after strikeout piling up. Not a MVP type of performance.
    Where have you been, man? Don't tell me Arod laying an egg in the playoffs is surprising for you....He's Mr May all over again, although I was there when Mr May became Mr October. It can happen, but this shouldn't be shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Where have you been, man? Don't tell me Arod laying an egg in the playoffs is surprising for you....He's Mr May all over again, although I was there when Mr May became Mr October. It can happen, but this shouldn't be shocking.

Not shocking at all. I was just stating he's a regular season type player. And as I read your reply the Indians went up 2-0.

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    That is what the post season MVP is for. Give the man the respect he deserves. Easily the greatest player to ever play this game. He will SHATTER bonds home run record and isn't just a pure slugger. He can do anything!

Except hit in the playoffs. And unfortunately, unless he turns it around, he will be remembered for his poor play in the playoffs if he continues the way he is.

Thread Information