100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grip Pressure

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Grip Pressure

Now I know you aren't supposed to have a death grip on the club. But just wondering if everyone uses equal grip pressure in each hand? Or do you have one hand that has just a little more pressure than the other one?

Playing today, and hitting some shots out to the right. And thinking back, I recall barely holding onto the club with my right hand. So I started putting a bit more pressure on the club with the right hand and sure enough the balls started going straighter. I remember doing this a while back, but I guess I just got lazy again.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

6 Iron Old Man is on a distinguished road
    Are you a righty or good ole lefty as us normal folks?.

I would be a right handed golfer.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

so it would be like baseball where if you grip firmer with the bottom hand the head of the bat (club ) comes around faster thus squaring up the face at contact.

I have the other effect too much pressure on the bottom hand and pull the ball sometimes.Or when trying to kill it,over use the leading hand and slice it like crazy thus getting some well deserved large laughs from my playing partners.

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    I like to try to concentrate on holding on with the top hand...I rehearse the impact position just prior to swinging. Get a good feel for where I would like the bottom hand to be. Then I swing....and try to get that hand back where I'd like it...Of course I am a right handed guy swinging left handed clubs so my dominant hand is on the top...

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    I think you've just gotten used to the helicopter grip and forgot everything else

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Now I know you aren't supposed to have a death grip on the club. But just wondering if everyone uses equal grip pressure in each hand? Or do you have one hand that has just a little more pressure than the other one?

Playing today, and hitting some shots out to the right. And thinking back, I recall barely holding onto the club with my right hand. So I started putting a bit more pressure on the club with the right hand and sure enough the balls started going straighter. I remember doing this a while back, but I guess I just got lazy again.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris St. Michael View Post
    I think you've just gotten used to the helicopter grip and forgot everything else

Hahahaha, very funny. Sure, hit a man when he's down.

And btw, the helicopter is not a grip, it's a type of swing......at least get it right.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    The bottom hand on the grip is supposed to be there for the ride so to speak. 90%, if not more of your pressure should come from your top hand.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    That makes sense Geoff as I had trouble hooking the ball and my teacher pointed to my individual hand grip pressure and counselled me to hold on to my front hand twice as much as my back hand and whammo, no hooks.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    The sole purpose of the hands is to hold onto the golf club. If a golfer can do that with a light grip, great, if not, hold on more tightly.

In my too many years of watching golfers I have come to the brilliant conclusion that many golfers are much better players than there scores indicate, because their grip loosens or because of their grip, the wrist alignment at transition, changes. To be more consistent, the grip must NOT slip and the wrists must NOT change position and so the golfer should hold the club firmly enough to prevent the above.

Moe Norman said, " I draw blood with my left and my right is wet spaghetti." This sounds good and perhaps something that might help the rest of us, except Moe was LEFT handed. His pulling action with a dominant lead hand was one reason why he was so good. Ben Hogan was left handed, too. One can see that because most of us are right hand dominant, that our grip pressure has to be different and so there are no hard fast rules that should be followed. Just don't let it slip.

Driver bazooka Don is on a distinguished road
    Future gadgets, can you see someone coming out with a new golf grip that if your grip is too tight a beeping noise occurs. This would give you a chance to step back relax the tension a bit and grip it rather than choke it. Then again can you imagine reaching the back of your swing plane and alarms start going off. Bad idea.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Why is it that too much grip pressure is bad? Does that prevent a proper release through the ball? I always hear that gripping it too tightly is bad, but I don't recall the reason why....

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Why is it that too much grip pressure is bad? Does that prevent a proper release through the ball? I always hear that gripping it too tightly is bad, but I don't recall the reason why....

Tension restricts the body from moving freely.

Example:

Grip a soft ball as hard as you can and tense your arm up as much as you can, now throw the ball. It won't go very far.

Now grip the softball with a lighter grip and take the tension out of your arm. Now throw. I guarantee the ball will go farther.

The same principle works for the golf swing.

Thread Information