100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Conundrum

Sand Wedge keithf is on a distinguished road

Question Conundrum

I just started playing golf last August ('06) and have now played about 120 rounds to date. I usually play from the white tees and am scoring on average between 85 to 93; my scores are fairly similar if I play from the blue tees. I started off slicing but now always hit the ball straight or with a slight draw with my irons and with a fade or draw with my woods.

My problem is this: I play golf left-handed but am right handed naturally. I suspect that I could generate much more power and distance if I played right-handed and I am thinking of switching this winter during my practice sessions at the range. Currently my distances are average but I know that I produce more power on the right hand as I am also a tennis player.

Has anyone here had the same issue and made a similar change? Serious input would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    DON'T Change it. If you are hitting in the 80s after one year, DO NOT change anything. most golfers play a lifetime and can't do that.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by keithf View Post
    My problem is this: I play golf left-handed but am right handed naturally. I suspect that I could generate much more power and distance if I played right-handed and I am thinking of switching this winter during my practice sessions at the range. Currently my distances are average but I know that I produce more power on the right hand as I am also a tennis player.
    DO NOT CHANGE!!!

IMO, the two greatest balls strikers ever were Ben Hogan and Moe Norman and they were both left handed. One of the most important fundamentals in golf is to have your hands ahead of the ball at impact. With a dominant right hand, in your case, you can achieve a greater pulling action than those of us who have a dominant trail hand and this will help in getting the hands ahead.

The greatest fault in most swings is an over the top move which is caused by a dominant trail, shoulder, arm and hand motion. Having your strength leading instead of trailing will lessen this possibility. Much power and accuracy will come from the last minute extension of the leverage angles of your weaker trail arm and it is not strength that will do this.

DO NOT CHANGE!!!

Thread Information