100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter bmckenney is on a distinguished road

Type of iron for improving golfer, and where to put my $$$

This post could probably be put in to two, but I'll try one post with two parts instead.

Part 1
    =====
    If someone was putting some effort in to improving his game and showing some results and has decent athletic ability, what would be a good type of iron?

I would like to get something that isn't a total improvement, oversized iron. And I don't think I should be going with straight muscle backs (but if there's a forgiving muscle back that is suitable I'd be interested). It would be nice if I could get something I could grow with while improving my game. Something that I would be happy with as I lower my index, improve my shot and swing.

I do plan on being professionaly fitted with whatever irons I get and if it's at all possible it would be ideal if the heads could be adjusted in any way if required. Is this possible? From what I've read so far, I'm under the impression if I get forged irons the lie could be adjusted. Is this true? Is there anything else that can be adjusted as far as heads go. I know if my swing speed changes I'd be looking at different shafts.

As for a driver and fairway woods go, I'm not as concerned about this but if I should be, let me know.

Part II
    =====
    Where is the best place to put $$$ in ascending order when getting new equipment? I know lessons, learning, practice is the best overall place to put $$$ and that's part of my plan. But what about on the equipment side? From an overall set point of view, is it irons (including wedges), driver, then putter?

Then assuming a custom fitting will be done properly, what ascending order do you put your $$$ in to for components? Is it shaft, head, grip? If that's the right order, the part that seems like a catch-22 for me is if my game improves then I'll probably end up keeping the heads for a while and upgrading shafts, which kind of implies that I should get some pretty decent heads to start with. Or would you say that as your game improves you look at different and better shafts as you priority and leave the heads as is?

It is pretty difficult to phrase these questions so I apoligize if this isn't well worded, too confusing, too long or whatever. I wouldn't be suprised if what I'm asking isn't even possible or doesnt make sense and that as my game improves I'll likely end up doing complete upgrades.

Bryan

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Part 1: Ultimately, any cavity back that you like the look of will suit you fine. Half of good ball striking is being confident. Make sure that you have hybrids for #3 and #4 as a minimum.

For driver, I can't recommend the Wishon line highly enough. They have the best innovation in driver technology in recent years. GRT face. Moveable weights are just hype.

Fairway woods. Unless you plan on using it off the tee, forget the 3W. Go for a 4W or 5W.

Part 2: Money can be spent on anything. Whether it's well spent is another matter.

Since you are planning on getting fitted tell your clubmaker your budget and he will fit you accordingly. I've hit very expensive shafts and very cheap ones equally well.

If however there is a particular item that you MUST have and it costs a little more, go for it. Just subtract it out of the total budget.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

...Make sure that you have hybrids for #3 and #4 as a minimum.
    I'm not sure I'm comfortable with a hybrid, having never hit one. And from what I've read people seem to struggle finding one that works for them. Is this a myth? And why do you say this with such conviction? Is there a large benefit to hybrids?

Fairway woods. Unless you plan on using it off the tee, forget the 3W. Go for a 4W or 5W.
    Thanks for that tip. One question. There are many times I don't want the distance of a driver off the tee, but need more than a 3 iron. What is a good club off the tee that is between the distance of a long iron and a driver?

...I've hit very expensive shafts and very cheap ones equally well.
    I think I must have had this misconception that shafts were the most important component and therefore they should be allocated more $$$. Is it actually more accurate to say yes shafts are the most important component, but only that they have the right characteristics based on your swing and hitting, and not that you have to spend more $$$ on them?

Quote Originally Posted by bmckenney View Post
    I'm not sure I'm comfortable with a hybrid, having never hit one. And from what I've read people seem to struggle finding one that works for them. Is this a myth? And why do you say this with such conviction? Is there a large benefit to hybrids?
    The biggest struggle I think people have with hybrids are that there are two styles of hybrids. Iron-like and wood-like. If you get iron-like hybrids and try to hit them like woods, i.e. sweep them, you will struggle. The reverse is true. Also, many OEM manufacturers make their hybrids too long. It's not about distance. It's about being able to hit the ball more easily.

I say go with the hybrids because out of the rough unless you can generate tour speed, you will never get as good results as you will with a hybrid. They are also easier to get in the air from the fairway, land softer, etc.

I'm a 7.5 handicap and wouldn't consider going back to regular 3 and 4 irons.

Thanks for that tip. One question. There are many times I don't want the distance of a driver off the tee, but need more than a 3 iron. What is a good club off the tee that is between the distance of a long iron and a driver?
    4W or 5W are the ticket there.

Is it actually more accurate to say yes shafts are the most important component, but only that they have the right characteristics based on your swing and hitting, and not that you have to spend more $$$ on them?
    Correct.

The biggest struggle I think people have with hybrids are that there are two styles of hybrids. Iron-like and wood-like. If you get iron-like hybrids and try to hit them like woods, i.e. sweep them, you will struggle. The reverse is true. Also, many OEM manufacturers make their hybrids too long. It's not about distance. It's about being able to hit the ball more easily.

I say go with the hybrids because out of the rough unless you can generate tour speed, you will never get as good results as you will with a hybrid. They are also easier to get in the air from the fairway, land softer, etc.
    OK. The benefits of a hybrid are significant. What type of hybrid would you recommend to someone like me? Iron-like, or wood-like? Or is is totally personal preference? And for that matter, how does one tell what type a hybrid is? Do the manufacturers expclitly state what type it is? I notice Wishon sort of does in that the 745 and 321 seem to be direct iron replacements.

Is if difficult to look down at a hybrid, which to me looks like a wood, and hit it like an iron? Or vice-versa? I'm struggling with this and I haven't even hit one yet! Any good online articles that would help me out here?

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    I think Part II and I are the same... get a custom fitting session... that would clarify some of your questions. Knowing your swing properties would enable to seek proper clubs (new or used) in the long run, you'll save money, time and frustation.

Quote Originally Posted by bmckenney View Post
    OK. The benefits of a hybrid are significant. What type of hybrid would you recommend to someone like me? Iron-like, or wood-like? Or is is totally personal preference? And for that matter, how does one tell what type a hybrid is? Do the manufacturers expclitly state what type it is? I notice Wishon sort of does in that the 745 and 321 seem to be direct iron replacements.

Is if difficult to look down at a hybrid, which to me looks like a wood, and hit it like an iron? Or vice-versa? I'm struggling with this and I haven't even hit one yet! Any good online articles that would help me out here?
    It's really about preference.

I play the Wishon 785s and quite like them. On the other hand I never really like the 321s.

I wouldn't obsess about it too much at this point.

3 Wood petah is on a distinguished road
    OEM clubs, what hybrids are iron/hybrids and what are wood/hybrids? Iron/hybrids, does that mean you should be taking a divot?

I would consider the Sonartech MD, Cleveland Halo, and Ping G5 hybrids to be iron-like.

The Taylor Made Burner Rescue and the Nickent 4DX are more wood like.

This is strictly based on their appearance BTW as I have not hit these.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I've owned and hit a number of hybrids and my favorites are ranked as follows:

Nickent 3DX (I currently have 3 in my bag) - really fit my eye well and I have a lot of confidence in these clubs
    Callaway Heavenwood (a bit older but wonderful hybrids)
    Callaway Fusion hybrids - good club, but didn't fit my eye as well as a the Heavenwood
    TM Rescue Dual - set-up too closed for me
    TM Rescue Mid - again, set-up too closed
    Nike CPR Iron Wood - UGH and I'm a Nike guy

Thread Information