CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge fez is on a distinguished road

What is a driver? Is it proper to use fairway woods off the tee.

The pro that I am taking lessons from says that my driver (I use to tee off with) does not have enough loft, it is 10.5 degrees. He says I may need 15 or 16 degrees to property hit the ball high enough. From what I can see most drivers do not exceed 10.5 degree loft. I know I can get fairway drivers up to a 7 iron degree loft, but is using a fairway driver off the tee the proper way to go. For many years I used a 3 wood off the tee. Isn't better to just learn how to use a (non fairway) driver with 10.5 degree loft. For years, I was so frustrated using a woods, I just used irons. I am trying to learn how to use clubs properly to get the most out of my clubs. I don't want to go back to the old days where I just used by 3,5,7, 9 and putter. The best I ever got was in the 90's going that way. Any advise!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Some companies like Ping do offer higher lofted drivers (14-16*). I'd suggest checking out the OEM websites and some of the component sites out there. If you look hard enough, you'll find one. Good luck with your search.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    My driver (Ben Hogan CS-3) has a loft a 12*draw bias. My backup is a 11* Nickent 425 Forged.

You can get higher lofted drivers like 13*, 14* or higher. A 3 fairway wood is typically 15*. A strong 3 wood is typically 13*. Never heard of a fairway driver. New drivers are typically 400-460cc. The fairway woods have a lot smaller head.

Also, the stated loft on an OEM driver doesn't always equate to it's actual loft. Based on their lab tests, Golf Digest has reported differences of up to 1.5*.

Dave

I know Ping offers a 15.5* driver, not a fwy wd. TM offers a 15* I believe, they label it as HL. Golfworks offers a 14*. They're out there, you just have to look a little harder.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golfworks MXO 450 head comes in 14*.

www.golfworks.com

Ping G2 EZ comes in 15.5* as well as 13.5* in other models

www.ping.com

Taylor Made R7 Draw comes in HT (13.5*)

www.taylormadegolf.com

And I'm sure there's more out there.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I played with a PING G2 last summer and it was 11.5. I liked it for awhile as I was recovering from a by pass and it allowed me to swing easy and get the ball in the air. I traded it in after I started to get my swing back as I would hit it too high then.
    A friend of mine uses a NIKE 460 13 degree driver and hits it great.
    So those drivers are out there.
    Since you live in Delhi you might want to check out one of our sponsors from down this way. FGO has higher lofted drivers in stock. TaylorMade makes a 460 Draw HT which has 13 degrees loft. The Sumo comes in 13 as well.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    You can use a 3 wood off the tee however the head is a lot smaller in size i.e +-190 cc vs 460 cc and heavier than a driver in weight. Most component companies that I deal with offer a 14 degree 460 head and as Geoff posted some OEM do too.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    You can use a 3 wood off the tee however the head is a lot smaller in size i.e +-190 cc vs 460 cc and heavier than a driver in weight. Most component companies that I deal with offer a 14 degree 460 head and as Geoff posted some OEM do too.
    Slightly off topic, do you find that component heads are more accurate to their stated lofts (vs. OEM)?

Dave

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Slightly off topic, do you find that component heads are more accurate to their stated lofts (vs. OEM)?

Dave
    For a few dollars you can have your Wishon heads handpicked, i.e. you can get a head that has exactly 10.5 degrees of loft and is 0 deg closed, etc.

Otherwise all manufacturers ship any head that falls within their specified manufacturing tolerance.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post

Dave
    They are pretty much within their tolerances most times. Like LMS said they can be hand picked if you want to be 100 sure. On the other hand I have seen some OEM specs off by 2 or 3 degrees. But then again it could be done on purpose for marketing purposes. If you want you can also ask any retail store to measure the stated loft. If they can't or won't, ask them if you can have it measured elsewhere.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    I have sold 4, 15* Zero Tolerance Premiers this year so far. I personally have a swingspeed over a 100 mph and use an NVS 65 "R" @ 44" long with a loft of 13* and I have never bombed them like I am now ! Go shopping man ! get fitted. Effective loft is THE major contributing factor in the trajectory of your ball. Ya gotta find a shaft that matches up with your swing and loft. My driver set-up works for me because I have a smoothish 1 plane swing.Collin Montgomery, who has a 2 plane swing, used a 12* driver at the skins game this year.

The lower your swingspeed is,the more loft you will require to launch the ball on an optimum angle.

Another way to get more "loft" is to tee the ball up higher. My golfing friends can't believe how high I tee it up....with a 3.25" Zero Friction tee no less. Lately, my ballflight has been too high....last year, it was too low...go figure.

Dave

Ace shovellover is on a distinguished road shovellover's Avatar
    Get properly fitted by a professional.

Everyone would benefit from a driver & putter fitting. But alot of us are too stubborn or ho-like in our tendencies to bother.

Thread Information