100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar

Another PEI Trip...

I just got back from the island and despite my slightly increased waistline, I have to say it was definitely a great trip. I'm sure the weather wasn't the best it could have been, but I only had to contend with one day of rain (Tuesday) and that was the day we took off for Charlottetown to take in the scenery.

As for the golf, well I managed to get three rounds in, all under the twilight rates (because I'm a cheap bum) and all with fairly differing results.

Sunday I got out to Eagles Glenn around 4:30, I didn't think I'd get the round in but there was nobody in front of me all round and I finished around 7:45, just as the light was running out. I think with all the great reviews of this course, I set my expectations too high, and I'm sure losing 5 balls on my way to an 85 didn't help my impression of the course. It was a nice track but it was at the bottom of my three.

Monday I tipped it at Glasgow Hills around 4:00 and joined up with a couple lads around the third hole. I hit all 9 greens on the front (including a par 5 in two) but only managed a 1 under 35 with my 18 putts on that side. The back nine wasn't as nice to me but I didn't really care because of how awesome that 9 holes of golf was. The 225 yard par three downhill 13th (?) was an awesome hole, and the 17th was something all to itself. I bogied the last two holes (a pair of 3-jacks) for a 74. Glasgow was my favourite of the three.

Wednesday I decided to brave the stupid winds, which I believe were gusting up to 60km/h most of the round. I got out to Anderson Creek and joined up with a threesome at 2:10 and we battled it around. I managed to get 4 birdies under my belt on my way to a 78, which I was very pleased with given the windy conditions.

All told, it was a great trip, and I'm going to try to get a foursome together in the future and try to get a boys week planned out there.

I've got a couple pictures of me at Glasgow lipping out on putts on the front nine which show my disappointment with the flat stick.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Sweet man, sounds like a good time. If you decide to change your mind and make it a couples type trip, I may be able to convince the better half. Keep it in mind.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Dude, I'm in for a boys trip next year.........I can probably get us a deal at l'Hotel Gavin (aka the folks place..........)

My Dad either has a membership or friends with a membership at all 3 of the tracks that you played = cheaper rates.

Only caveat is that I MUST play Mill River whenever I'm home

Oh yeah, a 78 at Anderson's Creek in the wind - Good stuff there.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    Glasgow was my favourite of the three.

Wednesday I decided to brave the stupid winds, which I believe were gusting up to 60km/h most of the round. I got out to Anderson Creek and joined up with a threesome at 2:10 and we battled it around. I managed to get 4 birdies under my belt on my way to a 78, which I was very pleased with given the windy conditions.

Glasgow also has a terrific view from the clubhouse. You can see the north shore which is almost 10 km away.

Good thing you were not playing Crowbush with 60 km/h winds. Your score might have been "scary"..........
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Glasgow also has a terrific view from the clubhouse. You can see the north shore which is almost 10 km away.

Good thing you were not playing Crowbush with 60 km/h winds. Your score might have been "scary"..........
    I had 8 balls in the bag... I wasn't sure I'd be finishing. That's solid confidence when you're a 4 cap.

P.S. I love beer... and winning in poker. But being 6 down after the first day in the Whitetail 3-man Scramble sucks more than getting out-driven by Sakuraba.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I've been wondering where you've been.

Just to echo Mr. Johnston, I'd love to take a spouses included golf trip to PEI next year.

Get to work on the spouse part. Romantic trip to PEI? she's probably already annoyed you didn't pop the question while the two of you were doing the romantic historic Anne of Green Gables tour.

See you Saturday. (ps funny how the course ratings were directly tied to your score)
    Andrew

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    she's probably already annoyed you didn't pop the question while the two of you were doing the romantic historic Anne of Green Gables tour.
    Funny you should mention that.................my Ex-wife WAS Anne for 2 summers when we were in University

Par tyorke1 is on a distinguished road
    Sounds like a great trip, eaglesglen for whatever reason won't cut there greens down, for guy coming here put Avondale on your list, much better than the three above and I was a member at two of them and still at andersonscreek. Also green gables will be done the renovation in 09, looks amazing, it will be a must. If I was to travel here, green gables, avondale, dundarave, andersonscreek and crowbush would be my choices. Next time you come I will set up a game with the guy that holds a couple course records at those course , if I'm of work

Quote Originally Posted by tyorke1 View Post
    Also green gables will be done the renovation in 09, looks amazing, it will be a must.
    I understood that Green Gables would be only closed for the 2007 season and reopening for 2008. Has this changed...... as you mentioned they will be done renovations in 2009....???
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Possibly late 08, Augest at best, looks great , over 500 yards added!! TIM

Possibly late 08, Augest at best, looks great , over 500 yards added!! TIM
    Sounds great !! I would really like to play it this summer. We will likely be there end of July. Hopefully, they are ahead of schedule and can open it before August......?!?!

They are ahead , but I would not get your hopes up but you never know, I am hoping for a combo membership with GG and andersonscreek. Pm me before you get here I can usually get some deals, take care TIM

They are ahead , but I would not get your hopes up but you never know, I am hoping for a combo membership with GG and andersonscreek. Pm me before you get here I can usually get some deals, take care TIM
    Thanks Tim!!

Perhaps you can verify and add any more info regarding the following which I have read/heard:

Understand cost for GG renovation under Tom McBroom is $3.5 million.
    Three greens are being completely redone and the others have been stripped and are being better renovated for better drainage. A number of fairways are being leveled out and better drainage is being put in place there too. Something like 1,000 trees have been removed to allow for better air flow ,growth and views towards Ocean.
    Guess you heard about the firm fined $1,000 dollars for cutting trees too close to the water at Green Gables. Here is the CBC article
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edwa...les-trees.html

They are right, at first they were doing nothing to the greens, thankfully they decided otherwise. The fines for the trees was one guys fault that cut to many without checking with the bosses. Driving range is being redune, they are basically done everything now, I here they are going to be a cart only golf course even though this has not really worked on the Island yet. I have not been around in awhile even though I live 20min away. I have the yardges somewhere here, pretty impressive. The course seems to me to be really wide open , they have taken alot of trees. Surprising is the same old club house. Wed afternoon is our mens night at the creek , bring your buddies , lot's of beer and fun and plenty of low scores, Guys playing with me is 40dollars. I may go down this week , if you want I will take some pic, take care TIM

They are right, at first they were doing nothing to the greens, thankfully they decided otherwise. The fines for the trees was one guys fault that cut to many without checking with the bosses. Driving range is being redune, they are basically done everything now, I here they are going to be a cart only golf course even though this has not really worked on the Island yet. I have not been around in awhile even though I live 20min away. I have the yardges somewhere here, pretty impressive. The course seems to me to be really wide open , they have taken alot of trees. Surprising is the same old club house. Wed afternoon is our mens night at the creek , bring your buddies , lot's of beer and fun and plenty of low scores, Guys playing with me is 40dollars. I may go down this week , if you want I will take some pic, take care TIM
    Thanks for the details Tim. If you could post some pics of GG that would be great. I know there are quite a few of us in Ottawa ,and on this forum who head down to the Island in the summer and would be interested in seeing the changes.

Cart only? Wow thats interesting !! Crowbush is not even cart mandatory.
    Did they also remove the Tennis Courts as well for a new practice putting green?
    I read this somewhere that there was a big fight from the community as they are the only tennis courts in Cavendish.

I'll try and get some this week , the tennis court is now a nice big putting green. They built up 14 fairway 4 feet, 3 is now a slight dogleg right par five, 12 is 356 yds, no more driving the green, number nine is 465, sometime this week I will put the new yardages on, TIM

I'll try and get some this week , the tennis court is now a nice big putting green. They built up 14 fairway 4 feet, 3 is now a slight dogleg right par five, 12 is 356 yds, no more driving the green, number nine is 465, sometime this week I will put the new yardages on, TIM
    Thanks Tim !! This is much appreciated from myself, and I am sure many other PEI golfers on this forum.

I took pic of all 18 , heading to disney tomorrow , will post when I get back and maybe redtail when I played there this year. GG is a brute now , almost all the new 500 yrds are in the 3's and 4's. It has the biggest bunkers I have seen, really not sure how the masses will like it, you will be amazed!!!

Putter mikejb is on a distinguished road mikejb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    The 225 yard par three downhill 13th (?) was an awesome hole
    Hollio, you mean this hole!

What a hole that is. Personally Glasgow is my favorite course on the island, and the one I always play when I am down east with the family (we are from away for those islanders here) and Eagles Glenn I really enjoyed.

I took pic of all 18 , heading to disney tomorrow , will post when I get back and maybe redtail when I played there this year. GG is a brute now , almost all the new 500 yrds are in the 3's and 4's. It has the biggest bunkers I have seen, really not sure how the masses will like it, you will be amazed!!!
    Thats terrific you have pics of all 18 holes at Green Gables. Look forward to seeing them posted when you get back.

Quote Originally Posted by mikejb View Post
    Hollio, you mean this hole!
    That's the one... I dumped a 6 iron off to the left just over the little creek, pin was tucked front left and I hit a perfect flop shot in to set up my par put which I was able to make.

Thread Information