CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hit Impulse

Ty Webb

Angry Hit Impulse

When I start a round swinging slowly (thinking slow from the top), this carries out throughout the round. I broke 100 this year for the first time using this approach.

However, the hit impulse creeps in and this too carries out throughout the round. It makes sense to simply use the slowed tempo but I am finding this hard to follow.

Can somebody suggest a drill to cure the hit impulse/improve tempo?

Cheers

Ty

Big_duck
    Hey Ti,

Try the Weir waggle. I think thats what he uses it for; to make sure his tempo and club path away from the ball is correct.

Curious George
    Ty, I know exactly what you are talking about. My brain starts talking to me (this happens a lot outside of golf too) and says "You know, if you crank it a little, that ball will fly"...and the opposite happens. My brain probably laughs at me with other brains at a bar later.

One thing that helps me immensely is to think of a count/tempo, like a dance. Remove all other swing thoughts (assume everything is correct), and try counting 1 and 2 (or 1, 2 and 3 if that works better). Each number is spaced out the same, the 1 is the backswing, the "and" is through the ball, and the 2 is the follow through.

The ball will get in the way of the swing, don't worry about it.

And it doesn't matter if you swing harder so long as (a) you keep the tempo, and (b) you swing within yourself - if you lose balance or form, you are swinging too hard.

Ty Webb
    It's the little head giving the big head bad advice again. The male ego.

So hard to fix.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

use your practice swing

to help define your tempo. take a nice slow one and then address the ball and hit it with minimal time in between. you will still feel that smooth practice swing as you hit the ball for real.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    May I suggest golf the way you live

No, not a joke but if you're not a really easy going laidback kind of guy (like Els or Couples). then you probably shouldn't be trying to swing like them.
    Go with your natural tendencies... If you're always on the go & like to walk fast, then play like that, swing back fast & swing thru hard/fast. Make Stadler or Seve your model.

There's lots of ways to get the job done!!
    We might all be learning Jim Furyk's swing in a few months.
    Especailly with a win this weekend & then Augusta in April!!!!!

Andru
    Forget about what everyone else is doing.

All of the great ball strikers had their own way. Which ironically contradicts my first sentence, but you get the point.

Thread Information