CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road

Deceleration....how can I avoid it?

I've noticed lately that there is a huge difference in my short game from round to round. Some days I go out and make putts, stuff chips close and generally light it up. Other days I am blade-eriffic, and can't lag anything anywhere near the cup. Essentially it comes down to whether or not I am decelerating the club in my hands as I swing (It's a skill I can transfer easily from wedge to putter and back again.), anyone have any suggestion as to how to cure this mystery ailment?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    try taking a shorter backswing and then accelerating from the top of it through the ball.

another thing i do is think less, that is, rather thank taking a couple of practice swings and then addressing the ball, get set, wait, think, etc. just take the practice swings and then immediately hit the ball. sometimes your brain gets in the way of your body.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I'll second what Jeff says.

Whenever I make a deceleration mistake it's usually because I have some doubt in my mind about the swing I'm making and that causes me to slow down.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    I have the exact same problem. And I find that the problem is sometimes due to the club I use. If I have a long chip and use a SW, I have to take the club back on a longer arc. That is when the brain has a fart and I decelerate.

Solution is simple, use various clubs in your bag when chipping, but always take the same swing. Club back the same amount and through the same amount. Your brain will get used to the same swing much better.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Deceleration is an effect, so what is the cause?

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Deceleration is an effect, so what is the cause?
    Fear of committment and lack of belief?
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nice_lag View Post
    Fear of committment and lack of belief?
    You and JV have hit the nail on the head. Deceleration is not a mechanical flaw, cured by doing some "drills." but rather it is fear of failure, lack of confidence, etc.. It is attitudinal. When you play the game and to maximize the chances of success, you have to believe that you are going to make a perfect shot, and you must be surprised when you don't.

One of the guys I play with regularly has been on a chipping tear, for the last several weeks. Whenever he misses a green, we automatically say, "Nice par,," because he invariably chips the ball within inches of the hole. He does not care if he misses a green because he knows that he is going to chip it close, and he just smiles wryly when he does.

Too many golfers play with a "hope and fear" attitude.

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the suggestions. Assuming I get out again this year I will try to put them into effect. One of the guys I play with on a regular basis also has that mystery talent that enables him to recover from anything. It's quite impressive.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    This is great stuff and I have tried to work on most of it, with only occasional success. It has also been suggested to me that if you focus too much on the score then you will hesitate over a shot. Try playing without keeping score. I have found that since Nov 1 (only 2 games) that I am feeling less "pressure" to score well as it is outside the local handicap period. Nothing to lose, go for it... and good luck.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    ... Try playing without keeping score. ...
    Or, just let someone else keep score for you.

Thread Information