CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New 3 Wood

Lob Wedge jaypee is on a distinguished road

New 3 Wood

Hey all,

I'd like to get your help/opinion in selecting a new 3 wood as I've just sold my old one (with the help of this site!). With so many options out there, it's pretty tough to try them all, so I want to narrow it down to about three to demo. Would appreciate your top 3 recommendations (for someone like me).

Here's a brief background on me & my game:

Handicap - 13
    Ball flight - natural draw (but with hook tendencies once in a while); average to low ball flight with woods
    Swing speed - around 100-110
    In my bag - TM 320 Driver (stiff flex); Callaway X-14 irons 3-PW (regular flex)

Lastly, I'm willing to pay around $200 +/- $50.

Looking forward to your comments! Thanks in advance for your help!

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Talking 3 woods

Not including the Steelhead Plus (don't know why you sold yours), the top 3 of the ones I've tested are:

Callaway Great Big Bertha II (tried it at the Golf Show - very nice!)
    Taylor Made 200 Steel (a favourite on the tour, very easy to hit)
    Orlimar TriMetal Plus (low profile head is a love-it-or-hate-it thing).

Happy hunting
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Lob Wedge jaypee is on a distinguished road
    thanks, e.t. for your post.

I sold the steelhead b/c I just couldn't control it (kept slicing it), and it wasn't too useful from the rough (at least for me). The only positive I found about the club is that if you hit it well, you can get huge distance off of it. That said, what I'm looking for is more control.

When I bought it in 2001, I was debating between that and the TM300 series 3-wood. I hit the TM a lot better, but was $600 at the time, so went with the Callaway.

I'd like to try the TM 200 series, and also the new TM - V. If anyone has any experience with these, would love to hear from you! Also, if anyone know whether I can still pick-up the TM 300, would appreciate the info.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

TM 200

I have a TM 200 driver, and it is a very nice club to hit - especially if you're looking for control over distance. I've hit the 5 wood in the store and liked it enough to buy one on Ebay, but haven't tried it on a course or a driving range yet.

I've also tried the V-Steel at the Pro Golf simulator and was very disappointed. Compared to the 200 or the sweet feel of the SH+, the V just felt dead. IMHO, it's a step backward for Taylor Made.

If you find yourself wanting to use a 3-wood out of the rough quite often, the old Adams Tight Lies are worth a look. Don't know what the newer Adams woods are like, but the older ones worked like a charm in those situations.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Thread Information