100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Iron Paddy963 is on a distinguished road Paddy963's Avatar

Good practice facility?

I used to go to the range in Orleans, but the pitching/chipping/sand area is always closed now, and the putting green has been pretty bad this year.

Are there any good practice facilities in the east end like what Orleans used to be?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy963 View Post
    I used to go to the range in Orleans, but the pitching/chipping/sand area is always closed now, and the putting green has been pretty bad this year.

Are there any good practice facilities in the east end like what Orleans used to be?

I have been told there is a new facility out on Navan Road but I have never been to it.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    The Navan Road range is quite a weird little place. It is going to eventually be the home to the Mer Bleu Golf Club, which will be an executive 9 hole course due to be completed by end of 2008 according to the staff there.

Right now they have a nice tee area (mats only) with a couple of target greens and a few "bullseyes" out in the distance with a collection/stopping net at the back of the range. Once you go here you will know what I mean when I say I'm not sure why they built a range where they did.

There is a huge gulley right in the middle of the range. I'm guessing from about 120-160yds off the tee where you would have no idea where your ball landed. Also, anyone that airs it over 250 is going to be able to clear it right over the back net.

There is no short game area and there is no putting green at this time.

I was sadly disappointed when I drove by here...that's not to say that it won't improve over time, that is just the state of affairs right now.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    I miss the Orleans short game area and my game shows it! The only place I can find with any short game area is the Raceview/Falconridge golf course. More south central than east but better than trucking out to Kevin Haimes in Kanata!
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Stonebridge has a very good short game area. Near the clubhouse is a putting green and a chipping pitching green with a bunker and next to the range they have another chipping green with a bunker.

On the weekends the best times to go are when they are between crossovers since it isn't very busy. Best time is after 1PM.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    It looks like they are moving the practice area out to the right--there has been quite a bit of work going on there in the last two weeks---I asked a couple of questions about the chipping area but no-one is talking---hmmm.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Stonebridge has a very good short game area. Near the clubhouse is a putting green and a chipping pitching green with a bunker and next to the range they have another chipping green with a bunker.

On the weekends the best times to go are when they are between crossovers since it isn't very busy. Best time is after 1PM.
    Stonebridge does indeed have good short game practice areas. Unfortunately it is a bit far for east enders.

7 Iron hkypuk is on a distinguished road
    Haimes facility is awesome.
    Very well thought out and all the special little touches from the pro mats, yardage markers,full length mirrors right down to the infared hand dryers in the john.

OGA has really slipped.The balls are terrible and the prices are far too high.
    They really had the startings of something good and then ???.
    Innes Golfland is a just a farmers field.

We need a Kevin Haimes in the East!

Quote Originally Posted by hkypuk View Post
    Haimes facility is awesome.
    Very well thought out and all the special little touches from the pro mats, yardage markers,full length mirrors right down to the infared hand dryers in the john.

OGA has really slipped.The balls are terrible and the prices are far too high.
    They really had the startings of something good and then ???.
    Innes Golfland is a just a farmers field.

Haimes really does have a great short game area. Every kind of lie and grass condition you could want, and well maintained. Not busy as well since nobody wants to practice their short game. Fortunately I work in Kanata so I can get there a fair bit.

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    Couldn't agree with you more...I used to love going to OGA and I have no idea why they didn't open up the sand/chipping/pitching green....it stayed in pristine condition all year, save the odd lesson here or there. IMO, they missed the boat terribly.

Even the target greens have slipped to a shell of their former self. They used to be cut like typical greens and now they are just a slightly shorter-cut patch of yellow grass like the rest of the range except it has a flag on it...brutal!!!

I think the East End is lacking in everything golf related...for the most part the courses are far inferior (with the exception of Outaouis and Camelot) as I mentioned the practice facilities are terrible and even the retail shops are worse. I'm so glad I moved to Orleans...lol!!!

8 Iron MrMulligan is on a distinguished road
    Probably one of the best practice areas in ottawa is in the east at Greyhawk golf club. Unfortunatley you have to be a member to use it (or a guest of a member) but it really has most of what Haime's has (although I do agree the short game area of Haimes is far superior).

36 holes and a beautiful practice facility - pretty good deal there...

7 Iron hkypuk is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more...I used to love going to OGA and I have no idea why they didn't open up the sand/chipping/pitching green....it stayed in pristine condition all year, save the odd lesson here or there. IMO, they missed the boat terribly.

Even the target greens have slipped to a shell of their former self. They used to be cut like typical greens and now they are just a slightly shorter-cut patch of yellow grass like the rest of the range except it has a flag on it...brutal!!!

I think the East End is lacking in everything golf related...for the most part the courses are far inferior (with the exception of Outaouis and Camelot) as I mentioned the practice facilities are terrible and even the retail shops are worse. I'm so glad I moved to Orleans...lol!!!
    Amen to that!
    The OGA seemed to have lost it as soon as good ole Charlie left.
    The other day I was there and out of a large $12 bucket(WTF) I counted 25 balls which were completely worn--no dimples!! I tried to hit everyone of them into the pond on the right.
    I used to be there everyday.I haven't been back since.
    Apparently there isn't anyone actually managing the range aspect because they're too busy with the little course.
    I liked the idea of the short game area but it is far too small and was always cramped and sometimes dangerous. They had to stop using it because of neighbouring properties. They could have easily reconfigured things to accomadate a real practice facility.
    As far as any other so called facilty in Orleans forget it. There is none.

Amen to that!
    The OGA seemed to have lost it as soon as good ole Charlie left.
    As far as any other so called facilty in Orleans forget it. There is none.
    I refuse to go to OGA again. Only reason I went before was the good short game area. With it now closed I have zero reasons to go there. The grass hitting areas are so close packed I broke a driver shaft last year when the guy behind me (a lefty - I am a rightly) locked clubs on our downswings! I go to Raceview/Falconridge to practice as it is the best for me that is not too far to drive.

Thread Information