CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: where to drop??

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

where to drop??

I was watching golf on the weekend and saw something i didn't understand. One of the players (at the time he was leading) went OVER the water hazard but landed short of the hazard stake. Where should he have dropped?

He wasn't sure of the ball cleared the stakes and then kicked back towards the water, now sitting between the stakes and the water. Where should he have dropped in this case?

Does it make a difference that the ball at some point crossed the water hazard and then kicked back in to the water?

Why didn't the guy on monday play his ball from the rocks?? did he not have a shot? i didn't get a good look

no one knows this???

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    First of all you can't drop inside of a hazard. You would have to play it as it lies if you have a shot. His drop choices depend on what colour the stakes are.

If the stakes are yellow ( a water hazard) then the following options are open:
    1. Re-hit from his original location
    2. Drop as far back as he wants keeping the point where the ball last crossed into the hazard between himself and the flag.
    If the stakes are red (a lateral hazard), the first two options are available plus the option to drop within two club lengths of the point that the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard.

I think the big question for the player may have been if the ball landed outside the hazard and rolled back in. This would change the last point of entry.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    R U talking about Phil? If that’s the case he could not see if the ball bounced inbounds to the hazard or if it fell in the hazard. His drop from where he thinks the ball last crossed the hazard was accurate. Fortunately we had a top view to see what really happened.

His ball was unplayable and he had a much better chance of making bogue from in play then par from the hazard.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Ok, so if the ball landed in play, then rolled back into the hazard and the stakes are yellow the point of entery is on the other side of the water, closer to the hole, where is the drop point, can me come two club lengths towards the hole?

what happens if its an island green and the guy hits over the green, it rolls of the back into the water? where does he drop them? I am not sure why but this has never come up during any of my rounds. Any if it did I'm sure I always dropped it at the first point of entry.

Thanks guys. Mike, that is exactly what i was talking about. So, if phil thought the ball landed in and bounced into the hazard he could have taken two club lengths and it would have been ok if it was closer to the hole. The two club lengths no closer to the hole is only for red stakes?

Two clubs is only for red stakes.

If it was yellow, then he would have to go back to the other side of the water and keeping the point of last entry between himself and the hole, he would go back as far as he wants.

Someone had posted a link to a great diagram for this, but I cannot find it.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    Ok, so if the ball landed in play, then rolled back into the hazard and the stakes are yellow the point of entery is on the other side of the water, closer to the hole, where is the drop point, can me come two club lengths towards the hole?

what happens if its an island green and the guy hits over the green, it rolls of the back into the water? where does he drop them? I am not sure why but this has never come up during any of my rounds. Any if it did I'm sure I always dropped it at the first point of entry.

Thanks guys. Mike, that is exactly what i was talking about. So, if phil thought the ball landed in and bounced into the hazard he could have taken two club lengths and it would have been ok if it was closer to the hole. The two club lengths no closer to the hole is only for red stakes?
    In Phil’s case he would have dropped the ball closer to the holes from where he actually dropped it. Red stakes are lateral so its two clubs from last entry.

Yellow stakes, you must keep the hazard between you and the hole. If the ball lands on the green and comes back in the yellow hazard you must drop on the other side of that hazard.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    as he wants.

Someone had posted a link to a great diagram for this, but I cannot find it.
    thanks guys, very informative. Anyone know where this diagram is???

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Look very carefully at where the bal crosses the hazzard line in cases like this, Often 2 club lenths to the side from point of entry is not closer to the hole when close to the green, so sometimes you can drop on the side where it hops in if it bounces backwards into the hazzard. Remember, you can drop even an inch on the good side of the hazzard line. Redrop twice if needed, and then place. Of course that may cost a few balls or have your caddy take off his shoes to catch them as they roll in!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Try

http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/books/index.html

Decisions 26-1/14 and 26-1/15

Actually the diagram for 26-1/1.5 is what I was looking for.
    Colby

Thread Information