CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interesting

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Interesting

Was playing today and having continued driver struggles. So for a good chuckle I decided to give the ol' ten finger grip a try. Whammo, centre face contact and a slight draw. Thought it was a fluke so kept on doing it for the rest of the nine holes. Didn't lose one ball to the right, hit everything about as long as I usually do and in general very straight with the odd slight draw. Seeing how well this worked for my driver I decided to give the irons a try with it. Same thing, centre face contact and everything was a beautiful high and straight shot with the odd slight draw.

I'll have to continue with this experiment, but if I can hit the ball consistently like I did for the brief trials today this could be scary good for me.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Hey, don't be bad mouthing the 10-finger grip.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Hey, don't be bad mouthing the 10-finger grip.
    Right about now I can't utter a bad word about it.....and come to think of it, I don't think I did. But don't ask me to address the ball with my club 4" inside the target line, that definately won't happen.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

I know, I'm just kidding you.

I'll get you converted to the inside approach next.

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    My hands get too quick, and I get the hook, so no ten finger grip for me thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by harbacostal View Post
    My hands get too quick, and I get the hook, so no ten finger grip for me thanks...

I have pretty fast hands as well, but like I always suspected the interlock grip must've been holding me back from having a good release with my wrists. It always felt that way to me, and this little experiment has confirmed it for me......so far.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I actually tried hitting with an interlock at the range last week. Kept losing them right. Back to the 10 finger and whammo, back down the middle or draw.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

First off I'm a lefty so when the hands get too fast I lose them right...oh and I also do that when I swing too flat...though on the occaisions I have hit the ball from the other side I use the ten finger grip as well...it feels more natural.

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Started golf left, interlock felt more natural; swicthed to right, 10 finger fells more natural. I think it is because the right is the dominant side.
    PS; hit the ball farther from the left side (faster swing speed), straigher from the right side (right side controls cubhead better than left)

Yep with the interlock I have to swing harder to make the ball go straighter...which sounds like it doesn't make sense...but it does trust me...

One tip for using the 10 finger grip. It's very easy to end up with a strong right hand (for a right handed player) because it feels comfortable.

I have to consciously remember to watch my right hand position. If it gets too strong I end up hitting smothered snap-hooks. Happened yesterday and once I fixed it on the back nine and hit everything solid.

One tip for using the 10 finger grip. It's very easy to end up with a strong right hand (for a right handed player) because it feels comfortable.

I have to consciously remember to watch my right hand position. If it gets too strong I end up hitting smothered snap-hooks. Happened yesterday and once I fixed it on the back nine and hit everything solid.

Thanks for the tip, but right now I set up with a fairly neutral grip. It feels fine that way.

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    in golf, often, tricking the brain to do something very different helps us overcome our problems, seems the brain does not have a good 'dont do that' button. When we dupe the brain by trying something way different, its like for the moment, we overcome our own hurdles.

odd aint it?

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar

so do I, but if the right hand get's too strong I take it back inside and flat and slice it off the course.

Well after a full round of trying the new grip, not so sure I'm sold on it. With driver it's a definate, but the rest of the bag is still up in the air. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

My biggest issue is getting comfortable with my hands touching now that I'm not using the interlock. Sometimes it just doesn't feel right, but I expect the growing pains.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Hey Geoff I have used the ten finger since the first time I picked up a club. I asked the Pro at the course I work at about my grip and he said "Leave it alone, it has worked for all those years"

BTW, I have pretty fast hands too, just ask my wife
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Still up in the air with the new grip.

Shot an absolutely pathetic 6 over on the front nine today, with most issues arriving from pitch shots and chip shots. Still not quite comfortable with the new grip for those shots.

But then played the back in only 2 over with only bad outcomes, not bad shots. So going to keep working with it, but so far there has probably been more positives than negatives.

BTW, absolutely killing the driver with the new grip.

Thread Information