CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge fez is on a distinguished road

Travel Bags - Hard or Soft?

I am looking at travel bags to put my clubs in and use to fly south this winter.

Should I look at a hard case, better protection, I guess, but is harder to put in a car, so I will need to rent a SUV of full size car.

Soft cases on the other hand are easier to put in a car with other lugage. I also undertand that some airlines discourage solf cases as their is a higher likelyhood for damage to the clubs.

Your thoughts!!

fez

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I have always used a hard case. Given that the airlines have managed to crack my hard case I won't ever go with a soft case.

FYI, if you are by yourself you can put a hard case across the back seat or if you get a hatchback with folding seats you should be fine.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I have a club glove, and I LOVE IT!!!!!!! It's expensive, but I find it well worth it.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Baxter
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    I have a club glove, and I LOVE IT!!!!!!! It's expensive, but I find it well worth it.

I as well have this and have never had any problems.

3 Wood funk-like is on a distinguished road
    I have gone through 3 travel bags, and I travel with my clubs a lot. The one I have now is from CargoGolf and I got it at Golftown. Its a hardshell inside, but on it looks like a regular cart bag on the outside. The top is a hardshell cylinder that fits over the clubs, so the whole bag is basically a hardshell case, with pockets etc so it looks like a regular cart bag. I have attached a link to the GT site.
    The reasons I like this bag is not only the protection of a hard shell case, but also that if I go right from the airport to the course, I lift off the top and I'm ready to go. I used to hate having to unpack my clubs and repack them etc. ANother good thing about this bag is that it fits in most trunks (of cars) and all backseats. its also relatively light compared to the big hardshell 'coffins' as I like to call them. There are tonnes of pockets and a lot of storage room for your shoes, extra clothes etc.

http://www.golftown.com/gtcommerce/s...-P3687C29.aspx

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    If you use a soft travel case, the airlines typically are not liable for damage...check the fine print. If you have decent or better quality clubs, you should go with a hard travel case.

Option 1: You could get a hybrid...basically a cart bag with hardshell top as follows:

http://www.golftown.com/gtcommerce/s...-P3684C29.aspx

Option 2: I personally have a Bag Boy THC-3 hard case as follows...take off the top section to reduce the size when placing into your vehicle...storage space is kept to a minimum since the case reduces to about a third:

http://www.golftown.com/gtcommerce/s...-P4482C29.aspx

Dave

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    I am looking at travel bags to put my clubs in and use to fly south this winter.

Should I look at a hard case, better protection, I guess, but is harder to put in a car, so I will need to rent a SUV of full size car.

Soft cases on the other hand are easier to put in a car with other lugage. I also undertand that some airlines discourage solf cases as their is a higher likelyhood for damage to the clubs.

Your thoughts!!

fez
    Definitely go with the hard case. And I just have a quick question....why would a soft shell take up any less space than a hard case? I have had both, and find they are both basically the same size./

Lob Wedge fez is on a distinguished road
    Soft shells seem to be more flexable on the corners letting you squeeze them into the trunk if it close to fitting, but a hard shell either fits or it does not.

fez

BG458
    Very easy if you love your clubs, hard case. I you are looking for a reason to buy new clubs, soft case.

Baxter
    Quote Originally Posted by funk-like View Post
    the whole bag is basically a hardshell case, with pockets etc so it looks like a regular cart bag. I have attached a link to the GT site.
    The reasons I like this bag is not only the protection of a hard shell case, but also that if I go right from the airport to the course, I lift off the top and I'm ready to go. I used to hate having to unpack my clubs and repack them etc. ANother good thing about this bag is that it fits in most trunks (of cars) and all backseats. its also relatively light compared to the big hardshell 'coffins' as I like to call them. There are tonnes of pockets and a lot of storage room for your shoes, extra clothes etc.

http://www.golftown.com/gtcommerce/s...-P3687C29.aspx
    I have the soft and have never had an issue. But the link in your post does look safer. I would like to know if the pockets lock or can they be locked? If I were buying one I would look at this cover case for sure.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Hard Case 100%. Why risk it man? These are your babies... If you have alot of $$$$$$ invested in your clubs why cheap out and spend 50% of the price to get 10% of the protection? Doesn't add up to me. Go hard and never look back! (Sounds like I"m promoting a party or something)

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Here's an excerpt from Air Canada's website regarding baggage information (as of Sept 1, 2007):

Sports Equipment (free baggage option)

If checked in separately, each item within the sports equipment category is considered a piece of baggage. Each piece must fit within the weight and dimensions of 23kg (50lb) and 158 linear cm (62 in). Excess baggage charges will be levied at the Airport if each piece exceeds the free baggage allowance. The total weight of any piece may not exceed 32kg (70lb) and the linear dimensions (L+W+H) may not exceed 292 cm (115 in) with the length not exceeding 203 cm (80 in). Exception: 2 hockey sticks (taped together) will not be charged excess.

Golf clubs
    One golf bag containing no more than 14 clubs, 12 golf balls and one pair of golf shoes. The bag and clubs must be fully enclosed in a hard shell container specifically designed for shipping. If otherwise packaged, the item(s) will only be accepted with a limited release form (to be signed at check-in), releasing Air Canada of liability.

Here's an excerpt from Westjet's website regarding baggage information (as of Sept 1, 2007):

Golf Clubs
    • The oversized fee will be waived, but the overweight or excess piece fee will be charged if applicable.
    • Golf bags need to be sturdy enough to provide adequate protection to the contents.
    • Must have an attached hood to protect club heads
    • Golf clubs, balls and shoes are to be packed in a suitable golf bag
    • Golf clubs packed in golf bags not offering sufficient protection to the contents and golf bags which don't have an attached hood will require a Limited Liability Release Form to be completed and signed by the guest.
    • Golf bags with built in tripods will require the legs to be taped or secured to the bag and a Limited Liability Release Form to be completed and signed by the guest.

Thread Information