CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar

Club Fitting Questions

Hello all,

I wanted to ask a few q's about club fitting.

At some point I want to treat myself to new clubs. I have been using the same iron set (Adams tightlies) and cheap woods (Dunlop flame 5W, 7W) for 4 years now and have gone from a 40+ HCP to 22.7. Next year if my budget allows I want to get a whole new set.

I read on here all the time about getting clubs fitted to match your swing tendencies, speed, and body type. I just wanted to ask how to go about this.

The name of the club is of no real consequence to me. I will not just go and buy a set because it says Taylor Made, Ping or whatever. So saying this, where do people usually go to get fitted (Golf works? any others?), try out a bunch of different heads, shafts, swing weights etc etc and how does it work, do they have a load of demo clubs for you to swing? how do they make sure each of the demo clubs is the correct lie angle for you? If you get fitted and they determine what your specs are, can come back periodically for little adjustments to your clubs.

What about the OEM route, is it possible to be fitted for clubs off the rack, how do they do this, presumably they do not carry OEM clubs in a variety of specs for you to try, can you take the specs you got from a club fitter and get OEM clubs changed to your swing characteristics? (this must cost a bit eh?).

I am only asking about OEM clubs for completeness. I like the idea of buying a set that has is tailored to you and you can choose what you want, e.g. a 5w, a couple of hybrids, 6-PW etc etc, as if you buy an iron set and don't intend to use the 3-5 irons and buy hybrids to replace them you are not only going to have to fork out for hybrids (that may not have the correct shafts in for you) and you will have 3 irons kicking around that you don't even need/use.

Sorry if I am rambling in here, I just want to get some opinions/experiences from you club gurus out there.

Cheers.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The best fitting involves hitting balls with multiple club / shaft variations to find the best overall fit. I build my own, so this is easy for me. Note that I said easy, not cheap.

If you go to a professional clubfitter they will generally have a collection of demo clubs with different shaft options that they will use as the basis to build your set. Depending on who you go to they will typically also adjust the set after it is built.

If you go to a store and try different OEM irons they generally don't have as wide a selection of demos. What you will usually end up doing is hitting a selection of clubs, different models and flexes, and finding the one that you prefer. The big stores can also custom order stuff for you.

Of the OEMs I'd have to say that Ping has historically been the best at offering different options.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    As a fellow 20+ capper, getting fitted would probably be nice and all but for me I figured there isn't much benefit at my current level of play. So instead I just cruised the 4sale section here and picked up a sweet set of Hogans pretty cheap and my putter for a good price. I also picked up driver, woods, and wedges through another site. I was able to get the set that I wanted for a good price, but it just took a little bit longer.

The only fitting that I will get done in the spring will probably get the lofts checked and adjusted if need be.

Anyway, it is up to you.
    Charles
    Back at it.

There is a school of thought that fittings actually help higher handicap golfers MORE lower handicap ones.

The reasoning is that the lower HDCP players have enough skill to adjust to the equipment whereas the high HDCP players need all the help they can get.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    I'm going to this in point form.
    - DO NOT rely on simulators for hitting results.

- DO NOT get fitted indoors.

- DO NOT get fitted while hitting off a mat.

- DO NOT get fitted without a launch monitor.

- DO expect to be there at least 1 1/2 hrs. and them some later to test drive proto types and to to do a lie check.

- DO ask for qualifications and references.

- DO ask a lot of questions during and after your fitting.

- DO provide lots of feedback during your fitting.

- DO excpect value for your $$

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    There is a school of thought that fittings actually help higher handicap golfers MORE lower handicap ones.

The reasoning is that the lower HDCP players have enough skill to adjust to the equipment whereas the high HDCP players need all the help they can get.
    That's what I figured. Why punish myself further, it's bad enough that I have a dodgy swing if get punished for good swings with ill fitting clubs.

I don't have much disposable income to buy and trade sets until I get the one that works for me. I'd rather invest the $$s now and keep the clubs for a good long time (I take good care of my toys).

I seem to recall that Dan Kilbank plays KZGs (from Artisan?). Perhaps he could weigh in with his experiences/opinions (or send me a personal message if it is a conflict of interests for him).

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    That's what I figured. Why punish myself further, it's bad enough that I have a dodgy swing if get punished for good swings with ill fitting clubs.

I don't have much disposable income to buy and trade sets until I get the one that works for me. I'd rather invest the $$s now and keep the clubs for a good long time (I take good care of my toys).

I seem to recall that Dan Kilbank plays KZGs (from Artisan?). Perhaps he could weigh in with his experiences/opinions (or send me a personal message if it is a conflict of interests for him).
    Artisan is a good choice and so is clubrus.(Downhillslider) But with all due respect and you know where I come from on the subject I believe that a handicap can be reduced considerably by combining clubfitting and GOOD DECISIONS on the golf course. IMO a lot of people have a high index because they make very poor decisions on the course and not enough is discussed on the topic of GOOD and BAD decisions.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    IMO a lot of people have a high index because they make very poor decisions on the course and not enough is discussed on the topic of GOOD and BAD decisions.
    Hey, stop talking about me like that.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Hey, stop talking about me like that.

There's no way he's talking about you Mr. "If it's inside 200 I'm going for it".
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Mahatma Gandhi

An excellent read:
    12 myths that could wreck your golf game:
    http://www.twgolftech.com/downloads/TWGT-12_Myths.pps
    Mahatma Gandhi

Why do you do in the winter time if someone comes to you for a fittin session? I had an indoor session on the Achiever and it was pretty close to reality.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    I'm going to this in point form.
    - DO NOT rely on simulators for hitting results.

- DO NOT get fitted while hitting off a mat.

- DO NOT get fitted without a launch monitor.

- DO expect to be there at least 1 1/2 hrs. and them some later to test drive proto types and to to do a lie check.

- DO ask for qualifications and references.

- DO ask a lot of questions during and after your fitting.

- DO provide lots of feedback during your fitting.

- DO excpect value for your $$
    That's a great list, thank you.

Why do you do in the winter time if someone comes to you for a fittin session? I had an indoor session on the Achiever and it was pretty close to reality.
    Cheers chief, I enjoyed that read. Makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    There's no way he's talking about you Mr. "If it's inside 200 I'm going for it".
    Here is a great decision:
    I can lob the ball over those willow trees
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hey, you should have seen the beauty I hit from the peninsula on 18 at EC in the Sun Scramble. The same swing at Rivermead would have resulted in birdie.

Artisan is a good choice and so is clubrus.(Downhillslider) But with all due respect and you know where I come from on the subject I believe that a handicap can be reduced considerably by combining clubfitting and GOOD DECISIONS on the golf course. IMO a lot of people have a high index because they make very poor decisions on the course and not enough is discussed on the topic of GOOD and BAD decisions.
    I am working hard on making BETTER DECISIONS and lowering the handicap. I just figured I'd ask about club fitting so I know what options I have when I have the cash to get some new clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    I am working hard on making BETTER DECISIONS and lowering the handicap. I just figured I'd ask about club fitting so I know what options I have when I have the cash to get some new clubs.
    I was not saying that YOU were making bad decisions. I make them too. Not as often as before though . I could write a book about them
    Mahatma Gandhi

I was not saying that YOU were making bad decisions. I make them too. Not as often as before though . I could write a book about them
    It's OK, I wasn't taking offense, I have a reasonably high index (22.7) so I know full well that less than great execution and poor decisions prevent me from breaking 90.

I tell them to get off those mats now so that you will not have to learn how to swing all over again in the spring. The only stuff I will do in the winter are lie checks ( and I get tons of these in the spring from people hitting off mats all winter ) and now that I have my ZELOSITY Flight monitor, I could do so driver fitting as well. As long as you are on a tee. But I* try to convince tHe customer to hold off until the ranges open. The 2 main problems with beeing indoors are the surface of the mats, and the lack of targets or available distance to realy see the ball flight.

I tell them to get off those mats now so that you will not have to learn how to swing all over again in the spring. The only stuff I will do in the winter are lie checks ( and I get tons of these in the spring from people hitting off mats all winter ) and now that I have my ZELOSITY Flight monitor, I could do so driver fitting as well. As long as you are on a tee. But I* try to convince tHe customer to hold off until the ranges open. The 2 main problems with beeing indoors are the surface of the mats, and the lack of targets or available distance to realy see the ball flight.
    What about wind conditions? You hardly get a perfect day out there.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Point taken Chief. That is why I try to hold off until the Spring.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Point taken Chief. That is why I try to hold off until the Spring.
    How do Spring and wind conditions correlate?

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    How do Spring and wind conditions correlate?
    If you read back, I think the Chief was poking fun about hitting indoors during the winter.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

If you read back, I think the Chief was poking fun about hitting indoors during the winter.

I was not poking fun Geoff. Just curious about various fitting methods. I am also curious about why Les does not like fittting off of mats.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I was not poking fun Geoff. Just curious about various fitting methods. I am also curious about why Les does not like fittting off of mats.

Sorry about that Chief, you just quoted Les' reply to why he doesn't fit indoors. And with your reply about wind, I thought you were poking fun.

And as for hitting off mats, I've heard from some fitters it can mask bad shots. Where if you hit a shot fat on the course, the club will dig into the ground, but on a mat, it will sometimes bounce off the mat and you'll get a better result than you would hitting off of grass.

And as for hitting off mats, I've heard from some fitters it can mask bad shots. Where if you hit a shot fat on the course, the club will dig into the ground, but on a mat, it will sometimes bounce off the mat and you'll get a better result than you would hitting off of grass.

If your club bounces off the mat won't you skull it? What is the purpose of having a lie fitting board? Isn't a lie fitting board the same or worse than a mat. There is no give at all. Or do some fitters just look at the divot and assume that if deeper on one side then the lie must be adjusted until the divot is even on both sides?
    Mahatma Gandhi

If your club bounces off the mat won't you skull it? What is the purpose of having a lie fitting board? Isn't a lie fitting board the same or worse than a mat. There is no give at all. Or do some fitters just look at the divot and assume that if deeper on one side then the lie must be adjusted until the divot is even on both sides?

Not sure, just stating what I've heard from some instructors/fitters.

But I think a good fitter could use a combination of both. I think you need the lie board to get a good indication of required lies, but looking at divots would help as well.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I'm also curious. I've been to three different fitting centres where Touring Pros were present doing fitting sessions of their own. Sabatini was at Nike, Ben Curtis at Titleist, and JB. Holmes at Cobra in Arizona this Spring. They were hitting off mats with a launch monitor and lie board. At Nike, they were outside for his driver session, although the ball is teed up, so I don't see what taking the elements like wind out of it, would be a negative. I mean hitting off the mat with a real tee apposed to outdoors isn't that much different except for viewing a ball flight, which was being analyzed on their computers at the previously mentioned fitting centres.

Anyway....Maybe it's an OEM thing...LOL!

[quote=EdmontonGolfer;205135]I'm also curious. I've been to three different fitting centres where Touring Pros were present doing fitting sessions of their own. Sabatini was at Nike, Ben Curtis at Titleist, and JB. Holmes at Cobra in Arizona this Spring. They were hitting off mats with a launch monitor and lie board. At Nike, they were outside for his driver session, although the ball is teed up, so I don't see what taking the elements like wind out of it, would be a negative. I mean hitting off the mat with a real tee apposed to outdoors isn't that much different except for viewing a ball flight, which was being analyzed on their computers at the previously mentioned fitting centres.

Anyway....Maybe it's an OEM thing...LOL![/quot

With all due respect you can't compare a touring pro's fitting to that of an amateur. There swings are so grooved. Granted I do alter my fitting style based on the ability of the golfer.

Can you confirm that these pros where using tees for there iron shots ? If so , I believe that is totally aceptable, as long as you are not hitting in to a net 8' in front of you or even 75'. Outdoors man! Ya gots to see the ball flight !

You will never duplicate the lie you get from a mat on the golf course. Hitting of a bare mat gives you some very eratic swingspeeds. The club sometimes will actually pick up speed as it BOUNCES of the mat. Sort of the same concept as hitting a slapshot in hockey and puposely hitting the ice well before contacting the puck.

I think I need to clarify one thing. Fitting for irons, indoors, off a bare mat or with a tee is not an acceptable procedure IMO. Using a lie board indoors works because you do not get that skip of the board like you would from a bare mat.

By the way, you can test for lie without a board and on grass FYI.

Thread Information