CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Champlain...

ADAbsolutNDN

Champlain...

Anybody played there recently? Is it worth the $32 for 18 holes?

Thanks

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I played it two weeks ago and found it to be in good shape. Greens and fairways were in good shape.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Greens are shaggy, no food at the turn, no marshall, good condition though.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Greens are shaggy, no food at the turn, no marshall, good condition though.
    What do you mean no food at the turn??? Hotdogs and Beer between 10 & 11 kick ass.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    None yesterday and we were there at 4:30, no marshall either, a five some in front of us, 1:45 minute for the front, then 2:30 for the back, ouch.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    None yesterday and we were there at 4:30, no marshall either, a five some in front of us, 1:45 minute for the front, then 2:30 for the back, ouch.
    Salut JL. They have a great wednesday night deal though. Steak and golf for $35
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

That's too bad.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    What do you mean no food at the turn??? Hotdogs and Beer between 10 & 11 kick ass.

Played today and the marshall was around but he's useless. He finally came around at at the 15th and I gently asked him whether he could ask the 4-some ahead to speed up a bit and his answer was "it's too late, you have 2 holes left..also the one of the guys played in the group ahead worked here and he knows the pace of play"...First of all, we have 4 holes left. Secondly, these guys were definitely taking their sweet time.

For all the holes except the first two, every time we got to the tee box, there was noone on the green ahead, yet some of them had even started their second shot. We were (our 2-some, plus another 3-some and 2-some behind) all bunched up at the hotdog hole watching these guys put..if that's not slow, I don't know what is...

~5hours for two some round ..really bad...Not sure if we want to play there again this year.

ADAbsolutNDN
    Yeah I played there also...got stuck in the huge storm when we just finished the 10th hole...luckily that "shack" was unlocked so we threw our clubs and stood in there till it died down a bit. The front nine set up was odd with the alternating par 3, par 5 for like 5 holes

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    You can get slow rounds there, it's hit and miss, they don't marshall it like some other courses where they hurry you along if you look like you are going to take more than 4 hours.

It's best a day or two after it's rained, otherwise the ground can get hard on some holes. When the greens are good they are great, tricky to read but not a fun house. THey aren't always good but the last couple years has seen many good green days IMO.

I wish it had more drama in the closing 4 holes, but the stretch of fours through the middle is great old school golf.

I've been a memeber two years running now, it's very convinient for me, I live just across the bridge, and I like it more than many of the cheaper or mid range courses, it's got some of my favourite holes in the area. I'm probably moving on next year tho, or maybe joining somewhere really cheap like Pineview and just playing around a lot.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wknd_Warrior View Post
    I wish it had more drama in the closing 4 holes, but the stretch of fours through the middle is great old school golf.
    It used to. What is #18 today at one point was #12 or even #15 going further back in the years. The 4th hole (along the road across massive pond) was an exciting 18th hole as well at one point. I find that the current layout (that has been around for a while now, I guess) isn't the best of the layouts Champlain has had.

Too bad... it was fun coming up to 18 with a good round, praying that you'd hit a good tee shot. Par 3 holes to close out games are not people's favourite ways to finish, but this hole was a good and enjoyable test.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    It's still "fun" *ahem* coming to the 4th after a good start and being faced with that pond.

I go for many rounds and the pond might as well not be there, then I go through phases where I can't get a ball over to save my life.

From the blues it's one of the longest forced carries I've ever played. Oddly enough, if I'm worried I seem to have better luck clubbing down and trying to nuke it over.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I hate playing a twosome on the weekend. I will go out of my way to make sure it's a 4some and hopefully with someone who isn't very good at all. That way you can didle dattle and wait around on the course which sure as heck beats waiting on the teeboxes. Nothing kills your round like waiting 5-10 minutes on each teebox!

I find most of the public courses in the area to be the same unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobble_It View Post
    Played today and the marshall was around but he's useless. He finally came around at at the 15th and I gently asked him whether he could ask the 4-some ahead to speed up a bit and his answer was "it's too late, you have 2 holes left..also the one of the guys played in the group ahead worked here and he knows the pace of play"...First of all, we have 4 holes left. Secondly, these guys were definitely taking their sweet time.

For all the holes except the first two, every time we got to the tee box, there was noone on the green ahead, yet some of them had even started their second shot. We were (our 2-some, plus another 3-some and 2-some behind) all bunched up at the hotdog hole watching these guys put..if that's not slow, I don't know what is...

~5hours for two some round ..really bad...Not sure if we want to play there again this year.

Thread Information