100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Els withdraws from Deutsche Bank

Ernie Els withdrew from the Deutsche Bank Championship on Tuesday for family reasons.

More...

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    This is getting stupid! The top players don't give a rats ass about this fedex cup! Anyone know when you are paid the 10m? Is it over a certain number of years or is it whenever the golfer turns a certain age (spread out until that that time)? I think they need to re think this stupid cup thing.

7 Wood speeler_kda is on a distinguished road
    I blame the Tour. Way too many big late-season events crammed together. Something's gotta give, especially for guys based in Europe.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    This is getting stupid! The top players don't give a rats ass about this fedex cup! Anyone know when you are paid the 10m? Is it over a certain number of years or is it whenever the golfer turns a certain age (spread out until that that time)? I think they need to re think this stupid cup thing.
    i am pretty sure its a retirement annuity. I don't think they get the money until they are 65.

Quote Originally Posted by speeler_kda View Post
    I blame the Tour. Way too many big late-season events crammed together. Something's gotta give, especially for guys based in Europe.
    the reason that the playoffs won't work like other sports is pretty simple i think, golf has 4 majors, no other sport has anything close to that. They have regular games, then playoffs.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    I dunno guys, sometimes it's just nice to be a good Dad... if his kids are school-aged / starting school for the first time, I like the fact that he's putting his kids before golf. Considering that Els is a world-player unlike many others, I bet he misses out on lots of things, and maybe this time he decided to put golf aside. Nothing wrong with that.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    IMO 4 consecutive tournaments is a lot to ask of players, especially this late in the season ...

At the same time, the players need to do what they can to keep sponsors (FedEx in this case) happy, and fans happy because that will keep a lot of money in the game.

I'm sure the length of the event (and how there are no breaks) is a topic being discussed ... I would not be surprised if the 2 sides sit dow nand come to an agreement on a shorter schedule.

And personally as a fan, I can tell yo uthat I'm not excited about a 4 tournament play off, esp. when guys in the 120's need to win every tournament to get to the end ... if that's the case, just cut them b4 the 'playoffs'. Afterall they have a field of 144 and about 15ppl have a chance to win.

p.s. however it ends, congrats to FedEx for one hell of a marketing campaign ... I've never seen another sponsor name get used as excessivly as FedEx's. ... by fans, players & the actual advertisers.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    If it were up to me, I would move the fourth major to the end of the season, assign points for finsih spots in the majors and whoever has the most points, wins.

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    If it were up to me, I would move the fourth major to the end of the season, assign points for finsih spots in the majors and whoever has the most points, wins.
    how about cut the series from 4 events to 3 events and make the final event the PGA??

Sand Wedge GarrettDav is on a distinguished road
    Hey Guys. I was just thinking about something. Why not use all the tournaments during the year to determine the top 30 players and then do a single elimination match play style at the end of the season. Like 15 matches...then winner faces another until there are the final two who play for the cup. Just an idea. I know it would be more similar to other sports playoff styles but it kinda would eliminate alot of the players....I guess gives them more motivation to do better during the year. Just my thoughts...take it or leave it.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettDav View Post
    Hey Guys. I was just thinking about something. Why not use all the tournaments during the year to determine the top 30 players and then do a single elimination match play style at the end of the season. Like 15 matches...then winner faces another until there are the final two who play for the cup. Just an idea. I know it would be more similar to other sports playoff styles but it kinda would eliminate alot of the players....I guess gives them more motivation to do better during the year. Just my thoughts...take it or leave it.
    Isn't that just a paired down World Match Play Championship using the results of the current year instead of the Official Rankings List?

Sand Wedge GarrettDav is on a distinguished road
    Yeah I forgot about the match play championship. Just thought it would be an interesting way for them to do things.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Scott Verplank, Jose Maria Olazabal, Bernhard Langer and Tom Lehman have also withdrawn.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    In golf we have Majors. Nobody who is not at death's door would miss a major. This is proving to be a bit of an embarrasment if not a $10 million dollar mistake.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    In golf we have Majors. Nobody who is not at death's door would miss a major. This is proving to be a bit of an embarrasment if not a $10 million dollar mistake.

I'll if Steve Stricker wins that FedEx Cup. Boy what a slap to Finchem's face that would be. The #1 Player skips the first event and does not win the FedEx Cup
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thread Information