CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood Skiddlydidly is on a distinguished road Skiddlydidly's Avatar

Golf shoe maintenance tips?

Got a set of beginner's clubs and a nice set of shoes for my b-day.

Aside from getting some white and brown shoe polish, any tips to keep them looking good and in good shape?
    Sucking at golf is it's own reward.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I am not sure I have any good tips but I like to keep some cedars in mine and keep them in a shoe bag.. Other than that I usually whip em down after golf..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    Other than that I usually whip em down after golf..

Bad shoes. Bad shoes.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    I am not sure I have any good tips but I like to keep some cedars in mine and keep them in a shoe bag.. Other than that I usually whip em down after golf..
    ......I think I saw your shoes in a video "shoes gone bad"

3 Wood Skiddlydidly is on a distinguished road Skiddlydidly's Avatar
    No, they're good shoes. Really. They just got mixed up with a bad crowd.
    Sucking at golf is it's own reward.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Damn Jarred Perl school of spelling..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddlydidly View Post
    No, they're good shoes. Really. They just got mixed up with a bad crowd.
    ......probably those argyle socks, they're just bad blood I tell you

Hybrid Timothy.Reeve is on a distinguished road

Leather lube instead

Personally, I'm not too fond of polish. It looks good but does nothing to help maintain water proofing. For many years, I used dubbin, and have now switched to Leather Lube. It helps cover up any scratches, etc. and my feet don't get wet even in the rain.

Other than that, make sure you let the shoes dry out after use. The shoe trees are a good idea from what I've heard, but not a route I've travelled.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Anyone use a water repellant (same as those applied on hiking boots and such) for added water proofing?

Dave

Baxter
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Anyone use a water repellant (same as those applied on hiking boots and such) for added water proofing?

Dave
    I used Thompson Water Sealant and it worked perfect. No issues at all.. Crazy.. maybe, but it worked.

4 Iron JoeldMtl is on a distinguished road
    For those of us who have forced air heating, After I've played, I usually put my shoes over an air vent ( I always have the furnace fan on).

Don't know why people who say their shoes leak just don't use Dubbin or Mink Oil etc - works like a charm on my winter boots - and I'm told will lower handicaps by 3 strokes.

For somereason the following paragraph was missed when the above was posted:
    Can't seem to really do a good polish job on my white saddle shoes. Tried a sport shoes cleaner and a white polish for sport/golf shoes - job was so so and the white polish seemes to be peeling off now.

Any suggestions on how to get white saddle shoes back to white.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I Dubbin mine once in awhile and wipe them down with Simple Green after every round.
    My ADIDAS Oasis golf shoes get dirty, I toss them in the washing machine with my golf towels and they come out looking new. The mesh toe area gets dirty, it cleans right up in the wash.
    I go through one of two pairs of shoes a season, I have resigned myself to that fact. I play between 120-150 rounds per season, and a lot of those are early morning rounds when it is wet. Walking that many rounds is tough on shoes. So I just figure I am buying at least one new pair of shoes a season. Now I get them at cost so that makes it easier on the wallet

If you can buy two pair of shoes and rotate them in and out of the lineup. That allows them to dry out properly before the next round. Plus everyone should have at least 4-5 pairs of golf shoes
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I have a pair of black Etonics bought 4 years ago ---have never used polish on them but use a leather preservative. Its called Ko-cao-line leather dressing. I used it on my horse harness for years to keep the leather soft and supple as well as a waterproofer---works great. On the fancy shoes I bought leather dye and then a neutral polish. Nothing looks worse than dirty white shoes on an old man
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    I have a pair of black Etonics bought 4 years ago ---have never used polish on them but use a leather preservative. Its called Ko-cao-line leather dressing. I used it on my horse harness for years to keep the leather soft and supple as well as a waterproofer---works great. On the fancy shoes I bought leather dye and then a neutral polish. Nothing looks worse than dirty white shoes on an old man

Or clean white shoes on a dirty old man Good tips Big Mac

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    LOL you guys are precious.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I have a pair of the Adidas 360 Tours. I've noticed that they are starting to stink!! In all my years of sports and shoes, I've never had an issue with foot odor or shoes smelling. I'm thinking it's something to do with the material in the shoe. None of my three other pair smell and they've been used equally as much.

I hear the cedar shoe trees work well to keep the form of the shoe. I also use 'Elite Professional Care' Leather Cleaner. It seems to work well to clean, polish, and condition the leather. As far as waterproofing goes. Most shoe companies have a 2 year warranty against any leaking. I don't think I'd go two years without buying new shoes so if during that time I have an issue with wet feet, I'll return the shoes under warranty and get a new pair.

Baxter
    [quote=EdmontonGolfer;205020]I have a pair of the Adidas 360 Tours. I've noticed that they are starting to stink!!
    I hear the cedar shoe trees work well to keep the form of the shoe.

I have the Adidas 360 Tours as well. I have used the cedar shoe trees even before I started wearing the shoes.. Nothing but the cedar smell in mine...

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    [quote=Dave Bullis;205024]
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    I have a pair of the Adidas 360 Tours. I've noticed that they are starting to stink!!
    I hear the cedar shoe trees work well to keep the form of the shoe.

I have the Adidas 360 Tours as well. I have used the cedar shoe trees even before I started wearing the shoes.. Nothing but the cedar smell in mine...
    Maybe I'll get some then..Hope it's not too late.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    I have a pair of the Adidas 360 Tours. I've noticed that they are starting to stink!! In all my years of sports and shoes, I've never had an issue with foot odor or shoes smelling. I'm thinking it's something to do with the material in the shoe. None of my three other pair smell and they've been used equally as much.

I hear the cedar shoe trees work well to keep the form of the shoe. I also use 'Elite Professional Care' Leather Cleaner. It seems to work well to clean, polish, and condition the leather. As far as waterproofing goes. Most shoe companies have a 2 year warranty against any leaking. I don't think I'd go two years without buying new shoes so if during that time I have an issue with wet feet, I'll return the shoes under warranty and get a new pair.
    Maybe you are sweating more as your age creeps up?

Sprinkle some foot powder in them, or spray them. Could be just a different leather, although that would be strange coming from the manufacturer. Do you use that pair to walk the course in?

Thread Information