100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fitted Irons

Lob Wedge fez is on a distinguished road

Exclamation Fitted Irons

I am back playing golf after 5 years of not playing. I have been playing off and on for 40+ years. I am at best a bogey golfer, although I do have moments. I purchased a Cobra driver and a 3 and 5 TaylorMade dual rescue hybrids this year. I have also taken several lessons and my game is coming back to the mid 80's. I have a set of Premier Palmer clubs about 7 or 8 years old. The Pro who is giving me lessons says that my irons are a bit short and not a perfect fit for my swing. I was thinking of getting rid of them and purchasing Henry Griffits "fitted" irons. perhaps a 5, 7, 9 and Wedge to start. The rational being, it is better to have a few good irons that fit and work than a bag full of irons that don't.
    Is it worth while to get fitted irons? are Henry Griffits worth the money about $110 per iron or am I just wasting my money and should I just work on my swing and adjust to what I have.

At the end of the day, I just want to play well enough to be able to travel around Canada and the US (yes it nice to be retired) and be play some decent courses and enjoy myself.

Thanks Fez

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Is it worth while to get fitted irons? are Henry Griffits worth the money about $110 per iron or am I just wasting my money and should I just work on my swing and adjust to what I have.
    For that price per iron I would suggest you find a clubfitter in your area or I would have one of my clubs extended to see if it really makes a difference.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Baxter
    I had a set of custom Henry Griffits blades fitted for me about 9 years ago. I do believe they help my game. But I also spent a lot more time at the range and working with Kevin Haime for private lessons and a few rounds with him. I was also at the range very chance I had. Played about 85 rounds that summer and 65 the next. Now the question is ... was it every thing together or was it practice and playing that did it. I told my self it was the clubs of course after spending the money. Now I don't have the time to practice and play as many rounds, so the Blades are tough. I will be going off the rack for my new set. I hope to do this this week.
    My thought is that getting custom fitted is a great idea but only if you are willing to hit the range a lot. If not buy off the rack and have fun saving money.

Just my 2cents and I hope it helps a little.

Dave

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bullis View Post
    I had a set of custom Henry Griffits blades fitted for me about 9 years ago. I do believe they help my game. But I also spent a lot more time at the range and working with Kevin Haime for private lessons and a few rounds with him. I was also at the range very chance I had. Played about 85 rounds that summer and 65 the next. Now the question is ... was it every thing together or was it practice and playing that did it. I told my self it was the clubs of course after spending the money. Now I don't have the time to practice and play as many rounds, so the Blades are tough. I will be going off the rack for my new set. I hope to do this this week.
    My thought is that getting custom fitted is a great idea but only if you are willing to hit the range a lot. If not buy off the rack and have fun saving money.

Just my 2cents and I hope it helps a little.

Dave
    Would you mind elaborating on this most inexplicable comment.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post

I think he means if you only play a handful of times a year. If you don't play regularly spending the funds on a fitted set really doesn't make a lot of sense to most. But to us regulars, fitted is a more viable option.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Why the misconception out there that fitted is not worth it ! Maybee he means CTC or Walmart off the rack.

Why the misconception out there that fitted is not worth it ! Maybee he means CTC or Walmart off the rack.

Never said that fitted isn't worth it, its just not high on the priority list of someone that only plays three or four rounds a year. The CTC or Walmart option is probably more of what they'd be looking at.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Baxter
    I was being honest. If a person is not going to be playing a lot and is just looking to go out have a little fun and not really care about scoring. Than 400 or 500 at golf town or any golf store would be perfect rather than spending over a $1000 to be fitted. It will not make a difference if he does not practice and play alot.

Again just a hacker giving a thought.
    Last edited by Baxter; 08-27-2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: corrected an error.

I was being honest. If a person is not going to be playing a lot and is just looking to go out have a little fun and not really care about scoring. Than 400 or 500 at golf town or any golf store would be perfect rather than spending over a $1000 to be fitted. It will not make a difference if he does not practice and play alot.

Did you just edit your post, or was it one of the mods?

I was getting ready to answer it but it's gone !

Baxter
    Nope , I did it. After reading it I did not like the way it was.

I will try and remember was was previously posted and make a few comments. Your buddies who shout in the 70's are obviously very giffted and talented.Any single digit golfer should be able to accomplish this with any set of clubs. They would have the ability to adjust to them and also own a very good short game.

Now, did you mean pro line off the rack irons ? If so, show me where you can buy a current model OEM set of irons for $400.00 or even $500.00.

A custom fitted set of irons for $1000.00 !!! I made a guy a set of Maltby forged MMB's,DGX100's spined, flowed, 4 to 5 cpm's incrementation between each club, lies adjusted to the 1/2 *,drilled out some weight from the 3 and 4 irons to get the correct cpm's. I basically Blueprinted these things. The cost was $750.00. Take away the forged heads and you are looking @ $500.00 to $600.00. If the guy is a hacker, go with a less expensive grip and shaft combo and you are in the $425.00 to $450.00 range.

A golfer of lesser ability will always benefit more from custom fitting. Custom fitting is not about a quick fix, it's all about maximizing your ability towards more consistant ball contact. The rest is up to the individual. Will he practice be quantity or quality, or his he or she name brand driven. I have said it before, I will put my best work up against any of the rack OEM. Over the years, I have seen some pretty scary stuff come through my shop with big price tags on them.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

You don't need to spend $1000 to have a set of clubs fitted for you at any retailer. Golf Town and Nevada Bob's I believe fit anything you buy for free.

Baxter
    Sorry I even bothered to offer help

Buy what you want and good luck

Update, I just purchased new Taylor Made Rac irons, they are on sale at Golf Town and they are great!!! I just didn't think it was worth $1000+ to by fitted irons

Thanks for the help guys1

fez

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    Update, I just purchased new Taylor Made Rac irons, they are on sale at Golf Town and they are great!!! I just didn't think it was worth $1000+ to by fitted irons

Thanks for the help guys1

fez

You can have them fitted for you. Where are you getting the impression you have to pay $1000+ for "fitted" irons?

I was quoted $110.00 per iron ($130 iron graphite) for Henry-Griffitts fitted irons. for 8 irons that would be $880.00 or $1040. this from a local Pro. Maybee ther are cheaper ones. Thats almost double what my Taylor Made's cost.

fez

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I was quoted $110.00 per iron ($130 iron graphite) for Henry-Griffitts fitted irons. for 8 irons that would be $880.00 or $1040. this from a local Pro. Maybee ther are cheaper ones. Thats almost double what my Taylor Made's cost.

fez
    I do not live far from you. I bought a set of custom fit Taylor Mades 6 years ago and spent less than $900.
    I bought a set of PING G2's this year, slightly used for $600, and they were the exact lie I need, 3 up.
    Not sure who you were dealing with for those Henry-Griffitts (I have actually never heard of that brand) but I deal with one of this sites Sponsors just outside St Thomas and they fit anyone who needs or wants to be fit. Then they order your irons to those specs. No costs involved other than optional shafts.
    Good Luck with the RACS. What course do you play?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Birdie golfin-buddy is on a distinguished road golfin-buddy's Avatar
    Being fitted, whether you play 100 rounds or 10, is very important.

I keep hearing this saying and mentality,

"It's not the arrow, it's the shooter (acutally another term, but not politicaly correct)"

Well ... if the arrow is crooked, then what are the chances you'll hit the target!!!
    Most company's offer fittings as part of their sales.

Where I work, I have a fitting center with Callaway, Ping, Titleist and TM. and where a private golf course that catters strictly to members. We do not sell a set of irons without them being fitted. No player should be spending that type of money without it being fitted. Period.

Now if you play once a year and your going to by from Walmart or Sportschek, then you will not have the opprtunity to get fitted, that's their choice. But if your going to make any type of significant financial investment, then make sure you see a qualified clubfitter ( CPGA, PCS, or OEM Fitters.) Make sure you don't get fitted by joe minimum wage who gets paid to stand there. See a professional.

That's my 2 cents and I'm sure alot of people would agree.

Golfbum, I play at Pine Valley near Turkey Point, it is a good walking course,a little short but narrow fairways and lots of trees and hills. The new Taylor Mades seem to fit better than my old clubs, a bit longer than the old ones. I bought my driver and hybrids from Fore Golfers Only (a sponsor) in St. thomas and they work well. they have an out door range to try before you buy.

fez

Bogie Kona Golf is on a distinguished road Kona Golf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfin-buddy View Post
    Being fitted, whether you play 100 rounds or 10, is very important.
    Well said!

fez
    Golf Town will fit anything that comes off the wall for free. I think you misunderstand what "fitted" irons are.

I was told that the Henry Griffitts fitting takes 3 hours, they match the grips, shaffs and heads as components each fitted to match your swing. I guess it like purchasing a suit, you can have one made to measure, one off the rack but matched a best a possible to fit you, or you can simply order a 44 tall and hope that it fits you. All 44 talls do not fit alike. I had the Pro at Golf Town watch me swing and he felt that the Taylor Made seemed to fit me fairly well.

fez

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Golf Town will fit anything that comes off the wall for free. I think you misunderstand what "fitted" irons are.
    Although I may be wrong, but I think that the lower limit for free fittings on irons is $500....at least that was I was told sometime ago. I only go to GT when I visit the major centres which all at least 8 hours away.

Dave

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Golfbum, I play at Pine Valley near Turkey Point, it is a good walking course,a little short but narrow fairways and lots of trees and hills. The new Taylor Mades seem to fit better than my old clubs, a bit longer than the old ones. I bought my driver and hybrids from Fore Golfers Only (a sponsor) in St. thomas and they work well. they have an out door range to try before you buy.

fez

I have played that course twice. Decent course, short though. I play most of my golf at Westminster Trails and I work at St Thomas Golf & CC so I play there once a week.

When it comes to Fore Golfers Only. I am a resident there I go there at least twice a week, sometimes more often. I know everyone that works there. In fact when they had their annual Spring Sale I was a salesman for a few days for them.

The outdoor range is a bonus! Try before you buy and try it outdoors in real golfing conditions, not a simulator.

Maybe see you there sometime.

Good Luck with those RACS. nice irons.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Never heard of Henry Griffith's golf clubs until now but please allow me to give you a ball park figure. You can get a set of quality component cast heads for $14. each(sometimes less sometimes more depending on the supplier and ongoing sales and clear outs)
    That totals out to $112(3-PW) for the heads only. Same deal with the shafts $112. Grips at $5. each=$40 for a grand total of $264 plus taxes and possibly shipping.
    Now lets say your fitter charges you $200 for his work. You could have a quality fitted set for $500. I just don't see how anyone can sell an iron for $110 each unless the irons are forged and the shafts are $200 per set and you are buying a name. Just my honest opinion.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Never heard of Henry Griffith's golf clubs until now but please allow me to give you a ball park figure. You can get a set of quality component cast heads for $14. each(sometimes less sometimes more depending on the supplier and ongoing sales and clear outs)
    That totals out to $112(3-PW) for the heads only. Same deal with the shafts $112. Grips at $5. each=$40 for a grand total of $264 plus taxes and possibly shipping.
    Now lets say your fitter charges you $200 for his work. You could have a quality fitted set for $500. I just don't see how anyone can sell an iron for $110 each unless the irons are forged and the shafts are $200 per set and you are buying a name. Just my honest opinion.
    I think Chief hit bang on here. $1100 sounds pretty steep unless, like Chief said, you're going with a forged head and high end shafts. Perhaps the labour is expensive through Henry Griffiths. And for the record, I have heard of this line before, but haven't really seen any of the clubs.

But to give you an idea, I have a request out for a quote from a local club builder to see what he would charge for a custom fitted set.

I've asked for the following:

A set of cast heads including a 3/4 hybrid (something in between so I only need one club), 5-PW, GW, SW, LW using an inexpensive steel shaft. I'll let you know my findings.

Google is a great thing:

http://www.henry-griffitts.com/

Not much on the website i.e material etc:
    http://www.henry-griffitts.com/ts-1.asp
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Not much on the website i.e material etc:
    http://www.henry-griffitts.com/ts-1.asp

I know, I already browsed it, just wanted to show everyone what HG clubs looked like.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    I think Chief hit bang on here. $1100 sounds pretty steep unless, like Chief said, you're going with a forged head and high end shafts. Perhaps the labour is expensive through Henry Griffiths. And for the record, I have heard of this line before, but haven't really seen any of the clubs.

But to give you an idea, I have a request out for a quote from a local club builder to see what he would charge for a custom fitted set.

I've asked for the following:

A set of cast heads including a 3/4 hybrid (something in between so I only need one club), 5-PW, GW, SW, LW using an inexpensive steel shaft. I'll let you know my findings.

Forgot to add on my previous post. The prices I posted I posted are very conservative i.e low volume which means 1st column pricing. A big clubmaking shop gets additionnal rebates off parts.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information