CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: Do you think the FedEx Cup Concept is good for the game?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it is wonderfull!

4 8.33%
  • It does nothing for me

21 43.75%
  • Needs to be changed to force everyone to play

14 29.17%
  • Scrap it and get back to basics

12 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FedEx Cup

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar

FedEx Cup

Just a simple poll to find out what the general concensus is about the usefulness of the FedEx cup
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I'd like to see the match play event moved to the end of the season and have that event as the 'superbowl' of golf. I think that would work much better than these 'playoffs'. Even spread them out over three weeks like NCAA basketball tourney. That might be fun, but it probably wouldn't guarantee Tiger at the end, which is what the PGA seems to want. Might grow the game a bit more overall if they can make it work though.

Like you, I would prefer to see them take the top 16 in the world play a 4 day elimination match play for PGA Champion..... now that would be awesome

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I'm gonna wait and see how it plays out. Not very interesting so far.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    I'm gonna wait and see how it plays out. Not very interesting so far.
    I am in agreement with Dan.

I have said this in the other thread. Reset the points to ZERO for everyone in the Top 144.

Start the playoffs, toss the meat on the table and let the animals go after it The reason I like this idea is the simple fact someone can get hot and come from no where to win the FedEx Cup. It gives the underdogs a chance to shine.

Somehow I doubt that is what Finchem wants to see happen.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I'd pay big money to see Rory "the Mouth" Sabatinni take on Tiger "I'll let my clubs do the talking" Woods in a no holds bared MMA match to the death..............

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    The thing I can't stand is the constant "Current" and "Projected" banners popping up for each shot. Who cares if someone birdies the 2nd hole and they jump to 7th in the projected standings.......just plain annoying.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Other than the occasional funny commercial (I like the Immelman and Els one's) it doesn't do anything for me.

Simply a marketing attempt by the tour to keep advertising revenue high through to the end of the season.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Other than the occasional funny commercial (I like the Immelman and Els one's) it doesn't do anything for me.

Simply a marketing attempt by the tour to keep advertising revenue high through to the end of the season.
    And to keep the top players in the world playing. Which will help with your statement.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I think the idea has potential , but the current format is not working for me , the fact that you can skip events ,and still be in contention, just shows that the players don't really care that much about it .
    If they changed the format , and in the playoff events reset the tables , or maybe have matchplays , where the top seeded players could call out players to play against , this would draw much more attention , from the public .
    Who wouldn't want to see Tiger call out , Sergio ,Daly, Sabbatini or even Ames again , and play them in a 36 hole match?
    My 2 cents
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Why would the top players care? They've already made their millions? Take Tiger for example, he will have already made 7-8 million just from golf, and will win the Player of the Year and Vardon trophies again, so what's 10million spread out over 50 years or whatever it is. He's like, who cares I'm already rich. He wants majors to break Jacks record and thats his focus.

I like SPackler's idea of the Matchplay being held at the end of the year, on a kick ass course, with the top 20 or so playing. That would be sweet!!!!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    And to keep the top players in the world playing. Which will help with your statement.
    I think you hit the nail on the head there. Any tourney with all the best players will attract viewers. Other than the tour championship, these events have historically been weaker.

I don't blame them for trying, but I don't see this thing being overly successful, especially once the NFL gets started.

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    Reset the points. Give everyone a chance. And finish the season off with the top 16 guys in a match play tournament. That would be worth watching.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I'm in agreement with most of the posts here. It's too early to tell how it will play out but resetting the points would be a good change. It would also make more sense to be match play and the fact that Tiger didn't play last week certainly doesn't help their cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    The thing I can't stand is the constant "Current" and "Projected" banners popping up for each shot.
    No kidding, what a moronic stat. They've been watching way too much MLB.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Why reset the points? Then all the hardwork players put in during the regular season mean squat? Most other sprts do not reset you, if you finished 1st you get a bye or play the lowest seed? Resetting the points makes the points useless; If that were the case you could simply use the money list or world rankings.

No matter how you look at it, its useless!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    It has given more meaning to a time in the pro golf season that has historically been much less interesting to watch. Now that the majors and the tour championship are over, its something interesting. I like it. Of course it could be improved, but I still like it. Go KJ!
    Andrew

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    Why reset the points? Then all the hardwork players put in during the regular season mean squat?
    Reset the points so players have to play. I don't like the fact that Tiger can skip the event & still be in the running. Can you imagine if the Sens made then playoffs, then declared they are too tired to play the first round, but they'll rest up and be ready for the second round. The NHL basically resets everything, as everyone always says, playoffs are a brand new season. You're right though, it does negate the hard work players have done during the season which is why a match play format for the top 16 or 20 players to me would be better.
    Lots of room for tweaking this thing.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

If they are going to keep the system the way it is (not re-setting the points, but I'm sure there will be some tweaks) they should give the top 10/20.....whatever number a bye for the first event if they are going to make it so difficult for someone low on the list to win the title.

Then just allow an extra 10/20......players into the second last event. It will balance out.

What they really should be doing is offering up more points for places during the playoffs, that way guys low on the list have a better chance. Or just don't have such a big differential from top to the 144th spot.

I'm not such a big fan of match play to determine the season winner. I really like seeing a guy come from the second to last or further back to win on Sunday. With match play, that just won't happen.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

The Play Offs

I think there is potential once everyone gets their head around the "play off" format. It's new and not a traditional golf way of doing things. I think if it is done right, whatever that is, it will increase interest in the end of season events and really "mean" something.

I don't know of any other sport where a contender can sit one out. Either you are in, or out. Sure they have a life (VJ sitting out this week to see hid kids off to school), but perhaps in years to come this will grow in importance and prestige and the players will plan accordingly. So far it seems that there is mixed reaction/ enthusiasm on the part of the "tour".

I don't think that they should carry their points over, or be awarded any points based on the season standings. You compete all year to get in, then start afresh. The cream will rise to the top, over a four tournament championship. After 30 tournaments if you're not ready then you should sit on the porch and watch the pros play. Those guys that did not make the cut last week should be sitting this week. If you have a play off where everyone makes it, just call it the CFL.

They also have to stop playing favourites and treat everyone the same, despite the revenue the generate when Tiger, Phil, Ernie, and VJ show up. If they design a championship around someone, like Tiger, then what becomes of the event when he's past his prime? Nick Faldo said that Tiger didn't like the first course so sat it out. That's the risk you take, don't play in week one, and you may be watching on the porch with Bubba.

Out

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    the bigger problem is the schedule these guys are facing. Not only have they all been playing since January, the fact is for some of them, they play the British, then the WGC 3 weeks later, then the PGA the following week. 2 weeks after that, the 4 week playoff starts. Then the Presidents cup 2 weeks later for those who are playing. That's a crazy schedule no matter how you look at it. Seeing as they are there on the Mon/Tues for pro-ams and practice rounds, there is little time off and exhausting both physically and mentally. I don't blame any of them for taking the time off when they can.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    the bigger problem is the schedule these guys are facing. Not only have they all been playing since January, the fact is for some of them, they play the British, then the WGC 3 weeks later, then the PGA the following week. 2 weeks after that, the 4 week playoff starts. Then the Presidents cup 2 weeks later for those who are playing. That's a crazy schedule no matter how you look at it. Seeing as they are there on the Mon/Tues for pro-ams and practice rounds, there is little time off and exhausting both physically and mentally. I don't blame any of them for taking the time off when they can.

Wait a minute, do you not have to go to work all year? Take away your holiday time and how many weeks do you work? I know guys that work 50 weeks a year for less money than a guy makes finishing 50th in a PGA Event!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Give me a break Rick.

Most people don't face the mental and physical demands that they do at their jobs. And I don't have 100 other things going on outside of my primary job like keeping sponsors happy, shooting commercials, doing charity work, writing articles, giving interviews, signing autographs, etc. etc. etc. etc. And I don't fly all over the world on a regular basis doing it. Heck I fly to Europe 5-6 times a year on business and it's a lot.

And if I ran my own business, and made millions I certainly wouldn't be working anywhere near that.

I'm not saying I wouldn't trade my job for theirs in a heartbeat, I'm just saying until you live a day (or a week) in their shoes, cut them some slack.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Give me a break Rick.

Most people don't face the mental and physical demands that they do at their jobs. And I don't have 100 other things going on outside of my primary job like keeping sponsors happy, shooting commercials, doing charity work, writing articles, giving interviews, signing autographs, etc. etc. etc. etc. And I don't fly all over the world on a regular basis doing it. Heck I fly to Europe 5-6 times a year on business and it's a lot.

And if I ran my own business, and made millions I certainly wouldn't be working anywhere near that.

I'm not saying I wouldn't trade my job for theirs in a heartbeat, I'm just saying until you live a day (or a week) in their shoes, cut them some slack.
    Personally I could care less if Vij, Ernie or Tiger takes a playoff date off. I know their non golf schedule is busy. I know they have mental pressures on and off their jobs.

People making low wages have a lot of pressure too. To survive. Not knowing if they can pay their bills next month etc.

I just think this whole FedEx Cup Playoff is flawed. I am not the only one. Is it because the Top 10 players could care less if they won $10 Million? Maybe. Afterall what is another $10 Mil to Tiger, Vijay, Erine etc?

The only thing that made me happy about last weeks first playoff event was the fact that Steve Stricker won for the first time in nearly 6 years. Well deserved win. Now wouldn't it be something if he can stay on top the FedEx Cup Points Race

9 Iron pheenster is on a distinguished road
    So howzabout this? All match play, starting out with 128 guys and finishing 2 or 3 weeks later with one. Number one seed plays #128, and so on. $10 million to the winner, without any of this deferred payment stuff. And the 128 who make it in get an exemption for the next year (bringing the exemption in line with the playoffs).

No, it won't happen. But it would be fun to watch, and it would actually be a playoff. IMHO, the PGA needs to get serious about having the real thing, or scrap the idea completely.

Quote Originally Posted by pheenster View Post
    So howzabout this? All match play, starting out with 128 guys and finishing 2 or 3 weeks later with one. Number one seed plays #128, and so on. $10 million to the winner, without any of this deferred payment stuff. And the 128 who make it in get an exemption for the next year (bringing the exemption in line with the playoffs).

No, it won't happen. But it would be fun to watch, and it would actually be a playoff. IMHO, the PGA needs to get serious about having the real thing, or scrap the idea completely.
    As much as I love watching Match Play, it just would not work for this event. Reason being, you seed the #1 against the #128, and so on. Now it might be exciting to you and me if Tiger gets taken down early, or Phil, Vijay etc. But for the PGA and their advertising revenue, and the networks advertising revenue etc it would not go over well. As soon as some top seeded players are gone so are most of the television viewers.

There in lies the problem with the idea of a Match Play Event of that size.
    Last edited by Golfbum; 08-31-2007 at 06:11 AM. Reason: fonts

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I'm a bit more interested now that Stricker is in the mix. Other than that, I'm not really a big fan of the format. I think a top-30 or 40 duel-to-the-death match play event would really ramp things up. If you want the big prize, you have to beat the course and your opponent to get it. And match play adds the "anything can happen" element that would keep viewers interested as well.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

9 Iron pheenster is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    As much as I love watching Match Play, it just would not work for this event. Reason being, you seed the #1 against the #128, and so on. Now it might be exciting to you and me if Tiger gets taken down early, or Phil, Vijay etc. But for the PGA and their advertising revenue, and the networks advertising revenue etc it would not go over well. As soon as some top seeded players are gone so are most of the television viewers.

There in lies the problem with the idea of a Match Play Event of that size.
    Oh, I agree. No way will the PGA stick their necks out that far.

But if they stick to the current format, they should change the name from the Fedex Cup Playoffs to the Fedex Give-A-Few-Of-the-Top-Guys-a-Shot-At-Another-$10-Mil-They-Don't-Actually-Need, because that's what they have now. Although it might be difficult to fit that on a trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by pheenster View Post
    Oh, I agree. No way will the PGA stick their necks out that far.

But if they stick to the current format, they should change the name from the Fedex Cup Playoffs to the Fedex Give-A-Few-Of-the-Top-Guys-a-Shot-At-Another-$10-Mil-They-Don't-Actually-Need, because that's what they have now. Although it might be difficult to fit that on a trophy.
    If I undersood Kelly from the Golf Channel right today.... The $10 million annuity is payable to the winner starting at age 45. They also said that if a 25 year old were to win this one, when her retired at age 45 the anuity would be worth $46 million. And Nick Faldo repeated the same thing later in the telecast.

The big guys don't need this but it sure would be nice for the not so greats to come up in win this thing... BUT, I am still pulling for the Tiger

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I think it's great and brings out all the top players at the end of the year. Something to look forward too after the PGA is finished. Regarding Tiger not showing up... It's all about points if you played so well that you don't need to play the first tourney to secure a top 30 than who cares if the guy goes? .

Either way I'm loving it and am interested to see how it pans out.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Lol, it's true most don't "need it" but how many of the scotty cameron hoes need 5 putters? And if you love 5 putters I'm sure you could love 25 putters ... Same goes for money you can NEVER have enough .

I'm with you hoping Tiger wins, if he doesn't I'd like to see Phil win as I can relate to his hot / cold playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    If I undersood Kelly from the Golf Channel right today.... The $10 million annuity is payable to the winner starting at age 45. They also said that if a 25 year old were to win this one, when her retired at age 45 the anuity would be worth $46 million. And Nick Faldo repeated the same thing later in the telecast.

The big guys don't need this but it sure would be nice for the not so greats to come up in win this thing... BUT, I am still pulling for the Tiger

Thread Information