CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Best "Range" practice routine

Chime in on your best routine at the range, I just saw the commercial that shows all these guys whacking driver at a range at night and PHIL MIck walks behind them and putts a bucket of balls, good message for sure.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    My routine is pretty simple.. I start usually with a 9 iron.. Hit some shots and get loose.. Then I move my way up to 7 iron, 5 iron.. Then a couple 5 woods.. Probably 5-10 driver swings depending on time.. Last shot I hit is whatever club I will use on the first tee.. I like to envision that first shot. Overall I am pretty quick on the range.. I will hit probably 40 balls. Then off to hit a couple putts.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    My routine is pretty simple.. I start usually with a 9 iron.. Hit some shots and get loose.. Then I move my way up to 7 iron, 5 iron.. Then a couple 5 woods.. Probably 5-10 driver swings depending on time.. Last shot I hit is whatever club I will use on the first tee.. I like to envision that first shot. Overall I am pretty quick on the range.. I will hit probably 40 balls. Then off to hit a couple putts.
    pretty similar for me...

GW - PW - 7i - 5i - hybrid then either 3w or driver, whichever I intend to hit on the first tee....mayb 4-5 balls with each....
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    I only go to the range when I'm done on the putting green and feel I'm in for a good putting and chipping day. IF that happens I'll go hi my 6 iron
    about 5 times, and my wedges about 10-15 times and I'm out of there. I strech for a good 20min before my round. I didn't used to but now its a must. Even more importand than putting or hitting a small bucket

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I saw a pro who would hit 3 different shots (straight, draw, fade) with the same club then moved on to the next, he kinda bounced back and forth between clubs but always finished with what was to be his 1st swing off the tee.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    My specific session at the range depends on what I am working on.

The important thing is to not just stand there and whack it. Go through your pre-shot routine (pick target, set stance, etc) for every shot.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    If I go to the range and am not playing afterwards, then I will warm up with a few PW and then play an imaginary round in my head. E.g. just think of a course and use the markers, flags, greens on the range to determine where the fairway, green, OB, water is. Then play the clubs you would play for each shot. This includes playing recovery shots if you end up "in the woods" etc. Works well as you stay focussed, there is pressure to land where you are aiming and you rarely use the same club over and over again.

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    1/2 sand wedges, followed by 3/4 and once loose full wedges. 9,7,5,hybrid, driver...until the tempo starts to get silly then...lw,pw, 8, 6, 4, woods...then whatever I have to hit off the first tee...

Thread Information