100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge Tonx is on a distinguished road

Irons only rounds.

I'm considering playing my home course "Irons only" for a bit, to improve my shot selection and long iron play.

Currently, My driving length and the shorter course design gives me a 7iron or less onto the green for most par 4's, and the par 3's don't give much in the way of length either. Could playing a few rounds with Irons only give me more versatility as a golfer, as it will force me to hit good shots with my longer irons?

Do any of you guys play practise rounds irons only?

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Playing irons only is something I have not done in years. I say go for it. If your course is short then why not use irons only for a few rounds. You'll gain some practice with your long irons off the tees. Plus you'll be hitting longer irons into the greens, hence more practice.

A few of us used to do the irons only once in awhile years ago. It was fun. If you want to make it more challenging then take a 3-5-7-9-W and putter out and play your course! Then you have to manufacture different shots with those irons. Now that is fun
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Thats funny,cause i was thinking of going out this a.m. to do the same.I usually do this when the weather is crappy and just to feel good about my iron shots and you know what,it works.I play from the forward tees and bring 3 irons and just hit untill i get to the green.Its amazing how good you will get after a few holes and your swing feels much better.There is nothing that compares to a well struck iron as far as pure enjoyement.Go out there and have a good time.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    I'm considering playing my home course "Irons only" for a bit, to improve my shot selection and long iron play.
    Do any of you guys play practise rounds irons only?
    This is a great idea. Regardless of how far anyone hits their woods, solid iron play and good putting are keys to low scoring. Gaining confidence in having to hit the less often used longer irons will help immensely.

In the mid 80's I actually made 8 birdies and broke our club's course record using only irons and one HOT putter. You just might end up with a good score and wonder why we use woods in the first place.

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    I'm actually contemplating shelving the driver for good. And I am now thinking on Sunday I'll head out with only a hybrid and irons. I'd be curious to see what happens.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    when i play glen mar no holes i use driver on, all 3 irons off the tee shoot high 70's low 80's, new strategy for Stonebridge last week all 3 irons off the tee went from a 93 to a flat 80, and Emerald links all 3 irons went from a mid 80 to a high 70's, but i hit my 3 iron very steady between 210-230 yards and thats all you really need, i am pretty consistent with my driver but most of the time just not worth hitting nothing worse then being 60 yards in and have to hit a half 60 deg. wedge

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I haven't done it recently but did that a couple of years ago. It can be a challenge if the course has any long par 4's.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    One of the tournaments that the Renfrew course has used to be followed by a game of "Up 10, Down 18", which was done with one club and usually barefoot. The 10th is a 420+ par 4 up hill and the 18th (we played the lower block) is about 450. I managed to get on in two on both holes one year in the dark using a 4 iron (with enough liquor in me to drop a small horse), so it goes to show that hitting driver/wedge into every green isn't the way to get things done.

I did happen to rack up 7 putts in those two holes... so be sure to bring a putter.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

I just remembered that I played about half a season using just irons as a junior. I think I broke my driver or something so I used 1-iron + 3-pw, no woods. I actually played quite well, but it was a real mental block when I played junior intersectionals, always having to hit the first approach shot, usually from a considerable distance back.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Ever since I realized I could not hit my driver I have used my irons everywhere except off the tee. Use 3 wood on the tee only---have found much more accuracy and more iron distance----it can't hurt
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    This is a great idea. The only problem you end up having is the par 4s that are over 430 yards end up being played like a par 5. You can't reach in two most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    This is a great idea. The only problem you end up having is the par 4s that are over 430 yards end up being played like a par 5. You can't reach in two most of the time
    But for someone who is very erratic with their driver, but decent to good around the greens, this could work out in their favour. Say they hit their 4 iron around 195 yards, that would put them approximately 40 yards short of the green if they hit both to their potential. This gives them a decent opportunity to get up and down for par, but likely walk away with no worse than bogey.

If that same golfer hit a ball out of play or even gets stymied behind a tree due to an errant tee shot, 4 will likely be a tough goal and they may happy to to end up with 5 anyway.

The performance on long par 4's will really depend on the golfers skill with their long irons. For the sake of argument though, are we including hybrids as irons?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    For the sake of argument though, are we including hybrids as irons?
    You betcha.

Of course all of this discussion depends on which tees you play, how far you hit your irons, etc.

I can hit my 2H 220-230 off the tee. Unless I'm playing the tips, that's fine for most courses around here.

However since I'm pretty consistent with the driver I don't usually need to worry about that. Hitting greens and sinking putts, that's another story.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Every once in a while where I'm having a brutal day getting off the tee with a driver, I'll put it away after 9 and only hit 3-hybrid or higher off the tee. I am almost always at least 10 strokes better on the back 9, sometimes much more. I had a 54-36 round last year at Pineview.

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Playing irons only is a good idea for something different. Another that I have read is to use only four clubs: 3 wood, 7 iron, a wedge and a putter.

On a par 3 course, I have used a 7 iron, a wedge and a putter....probably one of my better rounds too....even tried teeing off with a putter which went like 20-30 yards. Since I tend to use my 7 iron often, I could probably drop the wedge and go with only two clubs.

Dave

Putter PatrickS is on a distinguished road PatrickS's Avatar
    My golfing group at work have started an annual "One Club Round" tradition. We've done it two years in a row now and it has been quite popular, so it's likely to continue.

Most of us go out with a 7-iron. In deference to the club's request, we also take our putters for the greens.

I think this started when I mentioned a story I heard about how Lee Trevino grew up poor and would sneak onto golf courses with a single club -- I think it was a 5-iron -- and go around the whole course. He attributed that experience to his great shot making ability later in life.

Of course, this adds at least one stroke to most holes -- I can hit my 7-iron about 170 so if a hole is 350 or more, it's three strokes to the green. But I tell you, at the end of the round, you're either totally disgusted (first year) or you think your 7-iron is your favourite club (this year)!

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    But for someone who is very erratic with their driver, but decent to good around the greens, this could work out in their favour. Say they hit their 4 iron around 195 yards, that would put them approximately 40 yards short of the green if they hit both to their potential. This gives them a decent opportunity to get up and down for par, but likely walk away with no worse than bogey.

If that same golfer hit a ball out of play or even gets stymied behind a tree due to an errant tee shot, 4 will likely be a tough goal and they may happy to to end up with 5 anyway.

The performance on long par 4's will really depend on the golfers skill with their long irons. For the sake of argument though, are we including hybrids as irons?

Hoolio is exactly right---I play from the whites and what this does is make me concentrate more on my accuracy----on a long par 4--yes I am happy with a 5 but you can also be forced to be more accurate with your short game. I started this year in the upper 90s and right now down to a consistant 90--91--92---5 games in the upper 80s---hence the new signature. Damm I would be happy if every game was a 90---but 80 something sure sounds a lot more impressive After 3 1/2 years of golfing I am in a happy place---I don't think I'm doing too bad for an old fart

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    The way I hit my driver the last two rounds I might ban that Cobra to the basement rafters. It needs to be punished

Hello 3 and 5 wood!

Tomorrow I might load up the Titleist Sunday bag and leave the driver and 3 wood in the trunk. 5 wood off the tee on all par 4's and 5's and I bet my score is no worse than if I hit driver! (That is kind of sad when you think about it )
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    it comes down to course management, knowing your strength and tendencies off the tee and playing to those, no sense in playing outside the rhelm of your game, figure out your strength and weaknesses is what it all comes down too.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I had to take a 3w off the tee for a while this summer after breakng my driver. It's kind of cool, you get to hit irons you normally wouldn't on todays technology shortened courses.

Gee---I wonder if Tiger reads this forum ?

Lob Wedge Tonx is on a distinguished road
    Wow thanks for the replies so far guys!

Ill let you know how I go!

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I like that idea. I am not using my irons enough. I will give it a try

Thread Information