100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar

Ottawa courses left off Top 50 Ontario rankings

Thought this would bring some interesting discussion as there is not one Ottawa area course in the recent Ontario Top 50 golf course rankings.........
    http://www.torontogolfnuts.com/showthread.php?t=20257

Unbelievable Eagle Creek was left off, but is #75 in Scoregolf Top 100 Courses in Canada.

This discussion is going on in the Toronto Golf Nuts forum.
    Read Robert Thompson's comments, who is a Scoregolf colummist and is on the Top 100 selection panel.
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Personally I couldn't care less. And its not to be rude that I say that. Like someone said, its a matter of opinion. I know once I play course whether I like it or not. Whether or not others agree with me it really doesn't matter to me. Its tough to "compare" courses when there is so much diversity out there. But it's always fun to read these lists because you know there will always be discussion.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Personally I couldn't care less. And its not to be rude that I say that. Like someone said, its a matter of opinion. I know once I play course whether I like it or not. Whether or not others agree with me it really doesn't matter to me. Its tough to "compare" courses when there is so much diversity out there. But it's always fun to read these lists because you know there will always be discussion.
    Hey Geoff, you never know Edgewood might just make next years rankings with the new ownership and $$ invested in the course as you mentioned today.............
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Hey Geoff, you never know Edgewood might just make next years rankings with the new ownership and $$ invested in the course as you mentioned today.............
    Don't think that will happen anytime soon.

But for instance, I've played probably about 70 different courses, and off the top of my head my 5 favourites locally would be the following:

1) Eagle Creek
    1a) Rideau View
    3) Le Sorcier
    4) Stonebridge
    5) Outaouais (if the new nine is played)

And then there are some of my favourites outside of the Ottawa Area:

Trillium Wood
    Whitetail
    Smuggler's Glen

Now would everyone agree with me that these were the best five courses in the Ottawa area let alone the province? I doubt it. But that's the joy of these lists, but part of the reason I don't take much stock in them.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Don't think that will happen anytime soon.

But for instance, I've played probably about 70 different courses, and off the top of my head my 5 favourites locally would be the following:

1) Eagle Creek
    1a) Rideau View
    3) Le Sorcier
    4) Stonebridge
    5) Outaouais (if the new nine is played)

And then there are some of my favourites outside of the Ottawa Area:

Trillium Wood
    Whitetail
    Smuggler's Glen

Now would everyone agree with me that these were the best five courses in the Ottawa area let alone the province? I doubt it. But that's the joy of these lists, but part of the reason I don't take much stock in them.

I think what has got some of us Ottawa golf people "teed off" pardon the pun.....is that many of these panelists have never played the terrific courses here in Ottawa.
    For example, Robert Thompson admits that he tried to tour Eagle Creek but has never played it. Robert has probably played almost every top notch course in Canada. He reviews these courses on a regular basis as a contributor to Score Golf and Ontario Golf.ca. See his comments on Ont. Golf re: rankings.....
    http://www.ontgolf.ca/g4g/

3 Wood nhwott5 is on a distinguished road
    eagle creek was on the top 50 last year, it dropped this year to soemthing like 56, this is most likely due to the addition of some new courses, the $$$$ added to soem older ones and the fact that EC has in all honestly gone a bit downhill in the last couple of years.

I will not be surprised when it drops next year on SG list as well, it really does need soem work and soem consistency

Quote Originally Posted by nhwott5 View Post
    eagle creek was on the top 50 last year, it dropped this year to soemthing like 56, this is most likely due to the addition of some new courses, the $$$$ added to soem older ones and the fact that EC has in all honestly gone a bit downhill in the last couple of years.

I will not be surprised when it drops next year on SG list as well, it really does need soem work and soem consistency
    Interesting............were you on the selection panel or know someone that provided you with the information that EC dropped to 56..............?????

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I am hacked that Westminster Trails did not make the Top 50 What were those judges thinking about?

The course I work at is #30. It is always ranked in the Top 75 in Canada.

The issue I see with course rankings is this. Do they rate the course? Or do they rate the course, clubhouse, practice facilities etc?

I play golf on the course, not the clubhouse or range. To me that is what should be ranked.

As Geoff said, everyone has their favourite courses they love to play. Mine might not be yours, yours might not be mine. That doesn't make either course any better or worse.

My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

i may be mistaken so I will check again, but I belive it was in the article was it not?

if not then I appologize I thought I read that

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post

The issue I see with course rankings is this. Do they rate the course? Or do they rate the course, clubhouse, practice facilities etc?

I play golf on the course, not the clubhouse or range. To me that is what should be ranked.

As Geoff said, everyone has their favourite courses they love to play. Mine might not be yours, yours might not be mine. That doesn't make either course any better or worse.
    they do explain the complete critreria in the magazine if you read the whole thing. As they say, they stumble withth e same issue, do you rate simply the track? or must you include the whole thing? it is interestingthe part about royal montreal!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I only briefly skimmed the article and they mentioned that Eagle Creek dropped 11 positions from I believe 36 to 57. I'm going by memory on the exact numbers but it was explicitly mentioned.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Yes tahnk you, i thought it was mentioned. I guess if yo only looked at the rankings onlione and did not take the time to read the whole article you woudl not see this!!!!

Interesting............were you on the selection panel or know someone that provided you with the information that EC dropped to 56..............?????

Quote Originally Posted by nhwott5 View Post
    they do explain the complete critreria in the magazine if you read the whole thing. As they say, they stumble withth e same issue, do you rate simply the track? or must you include the whole thing? it is interestingthe part about royal montreal!

I read the article in the magazine.

I still do not agree with the fact ratings are not just based on the golf course.

I suppose for some people it is is the whole package that attracts them to a resort course.

I am old fashioned, have golfed for 25 years and for me it it the course that matters. For example, I am playing
    Tarandowah on Thursday.

This is a new course, a great layout but still rough around the edges. The clubhouse is an oversize garden shed, much like a small barn. I could care less what is is like.

Point me to the first tee, make sure I can buy a cold beer or other beverage at the turn and I am good to go!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Course ratings are always generate great debate.

Look at the Golf Digest lists. The Old Course is always there on the worldwide list yet there are a bunch of PGA pros who hate it.

I've been fortunate enough to play 10 or 11 of the "Top 100 You Can Play" (depending on which version of the list you use) and I certainly have my favourites from that list.

I've also played a bunch of local / Montreal courses that are just as nice as some of those and in certain cases "better" as far as I was concerned. Ultimately it's all subjective and the only people who really should get their panties in a twist about being on or off the list are the managers of the courses who are trying to drum up business.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

it is inyteresting is it not,

fo rme, well depends on the day, soemdays i will say it is all about the golf only, but other days i am interested in the vista's, the clubhouse etc. depends on my mood.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Course ratings are always generate great debate.

Look at the Golf Digest lists. The Old Course is always there on the worldwide list yet there are a bunch of PGA pros who hate it.

I've been fortunate enough to play 10 or 11 of the "Top 100 You Can Play" (depending on which version of the list you use) and I certainly have my favourites from that list.

I've also played a bunch of local / Montreal courses that are just as nice as some of those and in certain cases "better" as far as I was concerned. Ultimately it's all subjective and the only people who really should get their panties in a twist about being on or off the list are the managers of the courses who are trying to drum up business.
    It was more the initial comment from Rob Thompson on the Toronto forum where he stated "The problem, as I see it, in Ottawa is the quality isn't that high."

He back tracked slightly from that by saying he had not played Eagle Creek but would like to do so now it is under Clublink ownership.

Comments such as that hold more weight than just the average joe commenting on the various golf forums. As mentioned, Rob Thompson sits on the selection panel for the Top 50 Courses in Ontario and also sits on the Scoregolf Top 100 panel. He is also a regular online columnist for Ontgolf.ca and Scoregolf. So his comments about the Ottawa area courses did cause some to take notice.................

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    These rankings are unconvincing and do not represent the broad spectrum of great courses that populate this province.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Thought this would bring some interesting discussion as there is not one Ottawa area course in the recent Ontario Top 50 golf course rankings......... http://www.torontogolfnuts.com/showthread.php?t=20257

Unbelievable Eagle Creek was left off, but is #75 in Scoregolf Top 100 Courses in Canada.

Hey PEI, the post over at TGN by Golfing in Ottawa (or something like that) just HAS to be you!!!! I see your fingerprints (and links to the Marshes Golf Club) all over that post.... are we a wee bit ticked that your club didn't do better on the list?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Good grief---must be a bad day everywhere today--can't wait to play Eagle Creek on the 22nd to see what all the fuss is about
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Hey PEI, the post over at TGN by Golfing in Ottawa (or something like that) just HAS to be you!!!! I see your fingerprints (and links to the Marshes Golf Club) all over that post.... are we a wee bit ticked that your club didn't do better on the list?
    Wow........Indio you are promoted to Lead Detective........!!!

Actually, was not suprised that Marshes is not on any rankings (Ontario or Canada) as many can not deal with Office Buildings surrounding the course. So it does not score very well in "the Setting" catagory. They believe golf has to be away from civilization. Guess its ok to see all those Condos and houses that back onto some of the top courses.........

I was actually ticked that Eagle Creek was not on the list...........and even more ticked with Robert Thompson's following comment "The problem, as I see it, in Ottawa is the quality isn't that high."

Are our courses really that bad..............Last time I looked they certainly are not!!

Wow........Indio you are promoted to Lead Detective........!!!

Actually, was not suprised that Marshes is not on any rankings (Ontario or Canada) as many can not deal with Office Buildings surrounding the course. So it does not score very well in "the Setting" catagory. They believe golf has to be away from civilization. Guess its ok to see all those Condos and houses that back onto some of the top courses.........

I was actually ticked that Eagle Creek was not on the list...........and even more ticked with Robert Thompson's following comment "The problem, as I see it, in Ottawa is the quality isn't that high."

Are our courses really that bad..............Last time I looked they certainly are not!!
    I won't say I agree with him because there are lots of 'nice' courses around the Ottawa area but none that really jump out at me that belong in the top 100 in Canada (yes maybe Eagle Creek should be) but nothing that is just so memorable that I would give my left *** to play.

I won't say I agree with him because there are lots of 'nice' courses around the Ottawa area but none that really jump out at me that belong in the top 100 in Canada (yes maybe Eagle Creek should be) but nothing that is just so memorable that I would give my left *** to play.
    Top 100 in Canada is tough to break into. You are up against some spectacular scenery in Maritimes and out west in the Rockies.

However, Top 50 in Ontario. Give me a break..........Ottawa area should be represented and especially by EC !!

Sorry to repeat myself again though but Robert Thompson never really explained on why EC has constantly been in the Top 100 Courses in Canada, but fell out of the Top 50 in Ontario...............

Look at it this way.
    Ottawa is getting the CN Canadian Women's Open in 2008. When does Toronto get it?

I know one thing for sure. One day I was working at the course and there were some guests from Ireland playing. After their round I asked the one gentleman what he thought of the course.

He could not say enough good things about it. He told me had had played 3 courses that had held US Opens, Royal Melbourne and many other courses around the world.
    He said "This course is as good as any of those courses in my opinion"

Remember, this is coming from a guy who lives in Ireland and think about all the great courses over there !

Yet the course was rated 30 out of 50 by the panel of experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Look at it this way.
    Ottawa is getting the CN Canadian Women's Open in 2008. When does Toronto get it?
    Yeah, I guess the Hunt Club is good enough to host the Open but not good enough for the Top 50 list............

Top 100 in Canada is tough to break into. You are up against some spectacular scenery in Maritimes and out west in the Rockies.

However, Top 50 in Ontario. Give me a break..........Ottawa area should be represented and especially by EC !!

Sorry to repeat myself again though but Robert Thompson never really explained on why EC has constantly been in the Top 100 Courses in Canada, but fell out of the Top 50 in Ontario...............
    It is all subjective, maybe he doesn't personally like the courses in Ottawa or hasn't played enough of them to know any better or the clubs he has contacted haven't swooned over his phone calls to them..........

I know you love the Marshes, I personally don't like it. Its not that its a bad course, everyone knows it is a quality course for sure but it is just not the type of course I like. But then again, I like Edgewood, and it is nowhere neare in the top 20,000 courses in Canada, but I like playing there.... it all boils down to each person has their own preference for what a course looks like and how it plays..... i do not put much weight on what is written about any course because the wroter could be influenced by so many thing... did he get the round free, was he treated like a king, was he showerd with praise for his writings..... was he slipped a few free round coupons.... too many what ifs.....

My 2 cents

It is all subjective, maybe he doesn't personally like the courses in Ottawa or hasn't played enough of them to know any better or the clubs he has contacted haven't swooned over his phone calls to them..........

I know you love the Marshes, I personally don't like it. Its not that its a bad course, everyone knows it is a quality course for sure but it is just not the type of course I like. But then again, I like Edgewood, and it is nowhere neare in the top 20,000 courses in Canada, but I like playing there.... it all boils down to each person has their own preference for what a course looks like and how it plays..... i do not put much weight on what is written about any course because the wroter could be influenced by so many thing... did he get the round free, was he treated like a king, was he showerd with praise for his writings..... was he slipped a few free round coupons.... too many what ifs.....

My 2 cents
    Or perhaps when he played the Marshes he took a "snowman" or worse on #2.......
    which did not give him a memorable round............

Indio, I already explained it was more his attitude towards the courses in Ottawa........and he DID NOT EXPLAIN why Eagle Creek is on TOP 100 in Canada and NOT ON TOP 50 in Ontario !!!!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Aside from not having any Ottawa courses, I find it odd how they rank the ones in southern Ontario. Eight of the top twenty have opened since 2000, yet classic old courses like Scarboro and Rosedale get bumped down the list?

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Yeah, I guess the Hunt Club is good enough to host the Open but not good enough for the Top 50 list............
    Maybe someone at the course told him he didn't have pleats in his slacks and his socks were too high Could not resist
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    The more I think about this, the more I realize that we may be better off not to have any of our courses in the top 50. Membership in the top 50 may sometimes bring with it increased play and a corresponsding hike in the cost of playing these courses. If I'm right, then we should count ourselves lucky in not having made the list.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

And the "back and forth" continues on the Toronto Golf Forum re: Ottawa area courses and who comprises the Ont. Top 50 selection Panel.

http://www.torontogolfnuts.com/showthread.php?t=20257

Interesting comments between El Tigre (apparently former circulation Director for Ontario Golf magazine) and Robert Thompson who sits on the selection panel and is also well known ScoreGolf & Ontgolf.ca columnist.

Very Interesting...........

Thread Information